Question about West Division tiebreaker

Ranger12

What is the first tiebreaker for the division championship? I keep hearing we need Arky to lose a game, but don't they need to lose twice and us to win out? Wouldn't a tie give them the edge, because I thought the first tiebreaker was head to head and they have us there. Then I thought second tiebreaker was overall record, or am I wrong on both accounts?

We need Arky to lose twice. If they do and we win out we will be on our way to Atlanta. If they lose only 1 they go to Atlanta because they beat us. Then next tiebreaker is overall record after head to head

We need Arky to lose twice. If they do and we win out we will be on our way to Atlanta. If they lose only 1 they go to Atlanta because they beat us. Then next tiebreaker is overall record after head to head

That is what I thought it was, but seeing how I keep hearing about how we need "an Arky loss", it was sounding like some thought we only needed them to lose once if we won out.

What is the first tiebreaker for the division championship? I keep hearing we need Arky to lose a game, but don't they need to lose twice and us to win out? Wouldn't a tie give them the edge, because I thought the first tiebreaker was head to head and they have us there. Then I thought second tiebreaker was overall record, or am I wrong on both accounts?

bottom line, we need arky to loose 2 or more conference games, while auburn must maintain the 1 loss or we can loose one more only if arky has 3 conference game losses. for our circumstances, overall record doesn't matter in the conference race just in the polls.

Guest Tigrinum Major

The next tiebreaker is not overall record. It is record within the division of the conference.

SEC Divisional Tie-Breaker

In the event of a tie for the division championship, the following procedures will be used to break all ties to determine the SEC Football Championship Game representative. All Conference versus Conference Games (both division and non-division) will be counted in the Conference Standings.

A. TWO-TEAM TIE

Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.

Records of the tied teams within the division.

Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall record (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.

Overall record vs. all common non-divisional opponents.

Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.

Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.

The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game.

B. THREE (OR MORE) TEAM TIE

(Once the tie has been reduced to two teams, go to the two-team tie-breaker format.)

Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.

Record of the tied teams within the division.

Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.

Overall record vs. non-division teams.

Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.

Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.

The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the SEC Championship Game.

Knowledge is power.

Alright, so lets say that Arkansas loses two, lsu wins out, and auburn loses to UGA. That means the losses would break down as such...

Arkansas - LSU, Tennessee

Auburn - Arkansas, Georgia

LSU - Auburn, Florida

Each team has one loss to an east team and one to a west team and you have a three way tie once again between Auburn, LSU, and Arkansas. Then do they go to overall record and send Auburn (Arky's loss to USC and Auburn wins the LSU/Auburn tiebreaker) or do they have some other way of saying who goes?

Alright, so lets say that Arkansas loses two, lsu wins out, and auburn loses to UGA. That means the losses would break down as such...

LSU - Auburn, Florida

Each team has one loss to an east team and one to a west team and you have a three way tie once again between Auburn, LSU, and Arkansas. Then do they go to overall record and send Auburn (Arky's loss to USC and Auburn wins the LSU/Auburn tiebreaker) or do they have some other way of saying who goes?

In that case we would go due to the tie breaker over LSU since Arkansas would have lost an out of conference game as well.

LSU - Auburn, Florida

In that case we would go due to the tie breaker over LSU since Arkansas would have lost an out of conference game as well.

Not technically true. None of the criteria set forth by the SEC factors out of conference losses into the equation. It would come down to whoever had the highest BCS ranking. Now, that OOC loss by Arky would most likely render them lowest in the BCS between the three, but it wouldn't be any guarantee that we would go. Depending on how far we fell in the poll, we could fall below LSU and they would get the nod.

I don't see why they have more than 1 rule with 2 teams that are tied for first. All they need is the head to head rule.

True if only two teams are tied, because you have to play everbody in your division, thus head to head should be the only tiebreaker you need. H0wever, if you have a three way tie, then that is when the other tiebreakers are needed.

That is what I thought it was, but seeing how I keep hearing about how we need "an Arky loss", it was sounding like some thought we only needed them to lose once if we won out.

Well sure, we need AN Arkansas loss before we can get to TWO Arkansas losses. :big:

Well sure, we need AN Arkansas loss before we can get to TWO Arkansas losses. :big:

maybe saturday, definatly next week.

Archived