SEC Teams Scared to Play Louisville?

DCWarEagle

A recent ESPN article says that several SEC teams (not including Auburn) have refused to play Louisville:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...&id=2652451

It's gotten to the point that Louisville is now offering neutral-site games with SEC teams. Miller said he's met with officials in Nashville about scheduling Louisville against Alabama, Arkansas or Tennessee. Athletic director Tom Jurich (10) said he's open to playing an SEC team in the Georgia Dome. They've asked ESPN for help in lining up games, too.

Since we still have so many holes in our schedule, and Jay Jacobs says that we can't find any quality OOC games, why don't we step up and challenge Louisville? Think about it, the fans and the press would go crazy for this game. It would mean we would have to listen to countless re-hashes of Jet-Gate, but it sure would be a fun game to watch...

Two birds with one stone. This could be our version of Texas-Ohio State, just without all the national championships. I'd love for Auburn to sign a multi-year contract with Louisville.

Auburn has nothing to gain from playing Louiville. THEY would gain much.

Just my opinion.

Just my opinion.

I think Auburn has plenty to gain. Why play cupcakes like Tulane and Buffalo when we can play a Big East powerhouse? It can boost our strength of schedule considerably, and would actually make good storyline.

WarTim is right. If you are going to upgrade , then upgrade. MIA,FSU, TX,OSU,OU, Penn State, ND, NEB, etc. You don't play a team that if you win the national media says " you were supposed to win" or if you lose you give credibility to the Big East. No win situation for AU or any team like that.

Only thing: For the love of all that is good, do NOT make the game the season opener.

Open with an OOC cupcake, then play Miss State, then get into the meat of the schedule.

The last several years have shown us that we need a little tune-up (although we did do pretty well with Wash St. this year).

No legitimate SEC power should do a home-and-home with Louisville. You have to earn respect, and not by beating up on the Big Least. I wouldn't even do neutral site. Louisville is going to have to go TO an SEC school and not expect a return trip.

Just my opinion.

This is the Louisville that may be playing for a National Championship remember.

The hottest program and coach in the land right now is in Kentucky.Yeah let's keep

paying outrageous ticket prices to see Buffalo, Arkansas St, and uat.

It would be a huge tv game, if it happened today it probably wouldn't be played for

at least 5 years.

And didn't a lot of folks think Louisville would be a good addition to the SEC?

I think the ideal OOC game is one fairly early in the season against a historically strong opponent that is having a sub-par season. You get credit for beating a "name", but the game isn't really that tough.

The talking heads are not going to bash your OOC schedule if you have a win over Nebraska, Miami, FSU, etc, even if those teams happen to suck...

And yes, I know that it is impossible to know that kind of thing in advance, so it is not really something you can plan, but I'm just saying that is the best situation...

It would mean we would have to listen to countless re-hashes of Jet-Gate,...

Well, that's a pretty good reason not to right there. And it wouldn't end with Jet-gate. Once the talking idiots on ESPN brought up Jetgate, they couldn't resist resurrecting the NYT sociology/directed studies story as well.

Plus, I think it's kind of a slap in CTT's face to ask him to play Petrino after Jet-gate.

Plus, I think it's kind of a slap in CTT's face to ask him to play Petrino after Jet-gate.

I'm not sure how CTT would react. You don't think he would enjoy the chance to beat Petrino on the field? You don't think the AU players who love their coach wouldn't get a charge out of giving Tub that win?

This would be a media nightmare. We have all complained at one time about how we get tired of every game mentioning jetgate.... this would just bring it right back to the front.

"According to the Louisville administration, everyone else in the league has ducked, dodged and squirmed away from games with the Cardinals. "

That comment ticks me off. Everybody is so scared to play Louisville, and are just dodging them at every turn. Plus they forget to mention that AU plays WV in 2008.

I think the whole jetgate incident is water under the bridge. I say schedule Louisville. It would be a fun matchup and very intriguing.

Like I said, even if we wanted to schedule them, there's no way that AD would schedule us after we went behind their backs to try and steal their now very successful coach.

I normally don't respond to articles but I had to send him a quick note about our home & home vs WV and that a little research goes a long way.

Louisville has room on their schedule for four out of conference games. All teams should make arrangements to allow them to play Florida, LSU, Tennessee & Auburn, on consecutive weeks. That should let them see where they stand.

Louisville has room on their schedule for four out of conference games. All teams should make arrangements to allow them to play Florida, LSU, Tennessee & Auburn, on consecutive weeks. That should let them see where they stand.

I think this is great. I think we should add them. We're already playing WVU so if we're gonna lose the big east is gonna get credit one way or the other. So why not put ourselves in a position to 1) shut the media up about this big east crap and 2) slingshot auburn into a high ranking.

You can't deny a team who's out of conference schedule includes the two best teams in a bcs conference.

Archived