If you can't beat them, silence them

Tiger in Spain

not sure...certainly a deferrment, but possibly also a CO?

i may just be dreaming that...

i thought somewhere i read something about a letter he wrote to some general...shoot...that could've been AlGore for all i can remember.

as far as why bush's year of 'awol' doesn't rankle current military tyhpes, perhaps its because they respect him as an adult more than they respected clinton as an adult?

i have no idea...unless of course, they are all primarily republicans...i've not seen a study on that though.

my bro-in-law was in the military at the time of clinton's presidency, and he loved the guy... $0.02

ct

I love the way the spin says Bush was "AWOL." For those of you that don't know, AWOL is Absent WithOut Leave. Now, you show me PROOF of where he was AWOL. Not some claim by a Leftist Rag, or propogandist. I have seen some of you incinuate that it was covered up but that is simply an assumption that only makes an A$$ out of you. Show me some hard facts and I along with the rational thinkers here will take you serious.

And for anyone pompous enough to act as though the National Guard isn't real military is an ignorant bafoon. Half of my family has served in the Guard. I have an uncle that served in the Middle East during this latest conflict. My dad wasn't far from being sent to Viet Nam when the troops were called back. I have a friend that served in The Gulf War. Guardsmen are very important to our nations security! For you to look at them as a lower class of Servicemen or fake, especially if you have not served a day in your life, you should be dropped off at the nearest base with your words tatooed to your forehead.

If you honestly feel that way, LEAVE THIS COUNTRY, JACKA$$!

But, that's what I'm saying...Bush's AWOL year doesn't seem to matter. That doesn't seem to cast any dishonor on his 'service' or his presidency or him personally.

This is what the first part of my post was about. That above is not the first time it has been stated that Bush went AWOL.

The second part was meant to be in a different thread. Sorry 'bout that. I realized it after I posted, just didn't feel like changing it! I figured the guilty party would still see it.

Concerning Bush's missing time in the military and how the present-day servicemembers view it; I was talking to the wife of a Marine a few weeks ago about this and I asked her if this bothered her or her husband. She basically said "No." She said she knew about his dropping out for a year to help "Red" Blount's campaign but wasn't really concerned that he was missing during that time. They're just happy to have a Republican in there. It's a case of selective outrage.

It's not that we in the military are happy to have a Republican for a President. I, for one, am happy that we have a Commander in Chief that is honorable.

BTW, President Bush actually wore a uniform.........Clinton skipped the country. Honor versus dishonor.

So, you think desertion is honorable? Bush deserted his military obligation by never showing up for his requested reassignment in ALabama. I don't know what you'd consider that but I'd consider it desertion. Honest question for you Tiger In Spain. What would happen to YOU if you decided to take off one day and never report back for duty?

As an active duty member of the armed forces, I be in trouble no doubt about it. BUT!!! There are differences in operating procedure between those us on active duty and our Guard/Reserves brothers. I can't base a intelligent opinion on this because I don't have both sides of the story. The only information I have available is from what I consider to be biased sources. That's why I have remained relatively silent on the issue, other than to blast Clinton for being a consciensious coward. I have neither defended Bush, nor have I voiced an opposite opinion on this issue.

To clarify my point above, the rules vary for Guardsmen depending on whether they are filling a obligated to drill or unobligated to drill billet. If this is the case in the Alabama unit and GWB was filling a unobligated billet, then there is no news. In my personal opinion, I don't think President Bush would willingly go AWOL.

As an active duty member of the armed forces, I be in trouble no doubt about it. BUT!!! There are differences in operating procedure between those us on active duty and our Guard/Reserves brothers. I can't base a intelligent opinion on this because I don't have both sides of the story. The only information I have available is from what I consider to be biased sources. That's why I have remained relatively silent on the issue, other than to blast Clinton for being a consciensious coward. I have neither defended Bush, nor have I voiced an opposite opinion on this issue.

To clarify my point above, the rules vary for Guardsmen depending on whether they are filling a obligated to drill or unobligated to drill billet. If this is the case in the Alabama unit and GWB was filling a unobligated billet, then there is no news. In my personal opinion, I don't think President Bush would willingly go AWOL.

You know, Bush could have ended this controversy just as easy as he could have answered the questions about his past drug use and DUIs, instead of hiding them. During the 2000 election, John McCain and Al Gore both released their full military service records. Bush refused. Why? If he was proud of his service and it could be an asset to his election bids, why did he refuse to release them? Both of us already know but you're waiting on Fox News to report it before you'll believe it. News flash!! They ain't never gonna release it.

There are numerous sites with the military records obtained through the FOIA but let me post this instead. This was a direct request for Bush's court martial for desertion. There is no statute of limitations for desertion during wartime, in this case the Vietnam War.

This request has gone unanswered by the military brass it was given to and has also not been answered by our "commander-in-chief". He's had ample opportunity to put these allegations to rest but hasn't. Again, we all KNOW the reasons!!

George Bush, The Deserter

Archived