Israeli intelligence on Iraq criticized

Tiger Al

JERUSALEM — A former senior Israeli military intelligence official asserted Thursday that the nation's spy agencies were a "full partner" to the United States and Britain in producing flawed prewar assessments of Iraq's ability to mount attacks with weapons of mass destruction.

Shlomo Brom, a researcher at the Jaffee Center for Strategic Studies at Tel Aviv University, said intelligence produced by Israel played a significant role in augmenting the U.S.-led coalition's case for toppling Saddam Hussein.

"In the questioning of the picture painted by coalition intelligence, the third party in this intelligence failure, Israel, has remained in the shadows," he wrote. "And yet, Israeli intelligence was a full partner to the picture presented by American and British intelligence regarding Iraq's nonconventional capabilities."

LINK

Who would've ever believed that Israel would provide faulty intelligence against an Arab/Muslim country? Whatever happened to that 'bearing false witness' thing I read about somewhere? WHERE have I seen that before...? OH, YES...it's the NINTH COMMANDMENT!!!

Titan, your nationalism is very impressive, however, it appears that the Israeli criticism is coming from a former ISRAELI military intelligence official. Keep your eye on the ball!

Why don't you keep your eye on your own article?

Brom stopped short of accusing Israeli intelligence officials of intentionally misleading the United States and Britain. But he said Israeli intelligence agencies "badly overestimated the Iraqi threat to Israel and reinforced the American and British belief that the weapons existed."

Brom, a brigadier general in the army reserves, attributed the failure to professional lapses and misreading of important data, coupled with what he called a "one-dimensional perception" of Saddam by Israel's intelligence-gathering bodies.

When you accuse Israel of lying (see your whole Ninth Commandment dig), that is a "blame Israel" mentality to the hilt. I've got my eye on the ball because I can see through the smokescreen you put up.

The other liars (Bush, Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld, Powell, Blair, Straw, et al) were included in the Ninth Commandment indictment, hence the sub-title of the thread "The third member of the 'Axis of Idiots'."

Strike two.

The other liars (Bush, Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld, Powell, Blair, Straw, et al) were included in the Ninth Commandment indictment, hence the sub-title of the thread "The third member of the 'Axis of Idiots'."

Strike two.

Calling them liars is a little premature. After all, the Bush administration weren't the only ones who believed Saddam had WMD's. The Iraqi army officers swear they had them.

NY Post

Excerpt:

An Iraqi colonel has confirmed that Saddam Hussein had secret weapons of mass destruction - and revealed that front-line commanders were given warheads that could be launched against coalition forces within 45 minutes.

The cases of warheads, which came from a several factories on the outskirts of Baghdad, were delivered by the Fedayeen under the cover of darkness, he said.

Local commanders were told they could only use them on Saddam's personal orders.

"We were told that when the war came we would only have a short time to use everything we had to defend ourselves, including the secret weapon," he said.

Al-Dabbagh said the only reason the weapons were not used was because the bulk of the Iraqi army did not want to fight for Saddam.

"The West should thank God that the Iraqi army decided not to fight," he said.

The colonel said he believes the WMD were hidden in secret locations by the Fedayeen and are still in Iraq.

"Only when Saddam is caught will people talk about these weapons," he said.

everybody believed they had them at one point or another...including the dems.

so what's the point?

calling them liars and idiots is two different things, huh?

unless only an idiot can lie...i guess it all depends on what your definition of "is" is.

Archived