Georgia Congressman votes against Gators in resolution

pwl4au

Linky

Georgia congressman opposes pro-Gators resolutionBy Mark Schlabach

ESPN.com

Congressman Jack Kingston (R-Ga.) rarely goes against GOP opinion in key votes on Capitol Hill. But on Tuesday, the eight-term Congressman really found himself in the minority.

Kingston, who has represented District 1 in southeast Georgia since 1993, was the only member of Congress to oppose House Resolution 39, which commended "the University of Florida Gators for their victory in the 2006 Bowl Championship Series (BCS) and for winning the national college football championship."

His reason? Kingston grew up in Athens, Ga., home of the University of Georgia, his alma mater and one of the Gators' fiercest rivals. Kingston still lives in Savannah, Ga., and flies to Washington weekly.

"Any time you can see Ohio State lose, it's a good day," said Kingston, who also attended Michigan State for two years. "However, there's just so far you can go. The Bulldog tendency in me hit and I had to vote no in a good, friendly rivalry."

The House bill passed by a vote of 414-1. Eight other congressmen from Georgia voted yes to the proposal, two voted present and two others didn't vote at all. The bill was sponsored by Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) and 19 other representatives from Florida.

The Gators defeated unbeaten and then-No. 1 Ohio State 41-14 in the BCS title game Jan. 8 in Glendale, Ariz., to win the school's second national championship in football. The Gators also won a national championship in men's basketball last season, becoming the first Division I-A school to hold both titles concurrently.

"I supported Florida in the game and wanted them to win and win big," Kingston told ESPN.com Thursday. "I'm obviously going to be partial to the SEC."

Such bills typically pass unanimously in Congress. For example, House Resolution 43, a bill that commended "the Boise State University Broncos football team for winning the 2007 Fiesta Bowl and completing an undefeated season," passed by a vote of 415-0 on Tuesday.

Mark Schlabach covers college football and men's college basketball for ESPN.com. You can contact him at schlabachma@yahoo.com.

I think they did the same thing for us in 2004. And while I do believe it's a waste of time and money...it's also kind of childish to vote against it. :roflol:

:au::homer:

I think they did the same thing for us in 2004. And while I do believe it's a waste of time and money...it's also kind of childish to vote against it. :roflol:

I agree. It's extremely childish to vote against it. True, that is a stupid bill, waste of taxpayers money. But, no matter who the team was that the bill was commending for the BCS championship, I would vote for the commendation. That is a good thing to happen to any school. I would even vote (not that it would ever happen) for SPUAT to get the commendation, if they had won the championship. I doubt that will happen, but that's what I would do.

The only way I would vote against it would be if Alabama won it, and the way they got to the BCS title game was by losing to us and backing into it somehow. In that case, I would have to vote no.

Here goes our board showing its lack of a sense of humor again.

It was a joke. The congressman in question is joking about it with the interviewer.

I would do the same thing if it were our biggest rival (bammer).

Nothing childish about it.

All in good fun, I say.

I live in Atlanta, amongst the UGA's...I didn't think it was a joke. :)

It was a joke. The congressman in question is joking about it with the interviewer.

All in good fun, I say.

Amen. I have gotten a kick out of reading some forums where people get mad about it.

Someone on another board tried claiming that the vote showed how much Congress is letting the terrorists win against America :no:

I mean...seriously? It was a joke people

If an AU guy did this and Bama had just won the NC....everyone here would be laughing and cheering (I know...someone is going to say they wouldnt but I dont believe you)

All in good fun, I say.

Amen. I have gotten a kick out of reading some forums where people get mad about it.

Someone on another board tried claiming that the vote showed how much Congress is letting the terrorists win against America :no:

If an AU guy did this and Bama had just won the NC....everyone here would be laughing and cheering (I know...someone is going to say they wouldnt but I dont believe you)

I didnt' see anyone get angry about it...did you??? :no:

I didnt' see anyone get angry about it...did you??? :no:

Oh no no, not here....its why I said "some forums"

Tennessee site (VolTalk I think) had a thread bashing the guy for it...South Carolina's CockyTalk site had the same.....I mean...come on.... :no:

All in good fun, I say.

Now is this bill itself a waste of taxpayer's money and Congress's time?

Absolutely.

But that's another debate all together.

Archived