Shula Sr's latest Shot at Saban

sogaaufan

"As far as Saban is concerned I can't see how any parent could look at what he did to Miami and let their son play for him. He handled that situation with no integrity whatsoever. Additionally his track record outside a few years at LSU is pretty mediocre. I am not sure they know what they have at Alabama right now, but they are going to be sorry they got involved with him." - 680 the Fan 2/12/07

I'll let this speak for itself!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at what shape Shula left our program in, he doesn't need to say anything at all.

There are guys who are lifting now under Saban's plan that are sore from lifting for the first time since high school.

Looking at what shape Shula left our program in, he doesn't need to say anything at all.

There are guys who are lifting now under Saban's plan that are sore from lifting for the first time since high school.

A year ago your veins were bulging out of your head you were so vociferous in your defense of Shula. Need I remind you of the repetitive 10-win season, 8th in the country mantra you preached over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and... well you get the picture. A year ago, Shula was on the verge of becoming one of the elite SEC coaches -- on the level with Tuberville, Richt and Fulmer. He deserved a huge raise, blah, blah, blah. Great googly MOOGLY, BG, he shore did drop off a goodly amount in just a year.

Link?

OH!!!!!!!!!!!!

So all these years of "Probation Crutching" goes away????? Good Lawd! :no::poke::roflol:

A year ago your veins were bulging out of your head you were so vociferous in your defense of Shula. Need I remind you of the repetitive 10-win season, 8th in the country mantra you preached over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and... well you get the picture. A year ago, Shula was on the verge of becoming one of the elite SEC coaches -- on the level with Tuberville, Richt and Fulmer. He deserved a huge raise, blah, blah, blah. Great googly MOOGLY, BG, he shore did drop off a goodly amount in just a year.

Gotta' echo the Ghost here. The defense of Shula after his 10 win season is well documented. He didn't suddenly become a terrible coach running your program into the ground.

Don Shula is the one talking, not Mike. And he's absolutely correct. I'll take a Hall of Fame coach's opinion over a pathological liar's every time.

"As far as Saban is concerned I can't see how any parent could look at what he did to Miami and let their son play for him. He handled that situation with no integrity whatsoever. Additionally his track record outside a few years at LSU is pretty mediocre. I am not sure they know what they have at Alabama right now, but they are going to be sorry they got involved with him." - 680 the Fan 2/12/07

I respect Don Shula for wanting to take up for his son, but he really needs to let this drop. He is drawing more attention to the fact that his son was fired.He is making it look like Coach Mike Shula is 12 years old and needs his daddy to defend him. This is not the first time that Mike Shula has been fired. He has been fired from pro teams also. His mentor, Ray Perkins fired him, and I don't remember Don Shula pitching a fit then.

I would be the first to admit that what Alabama did to Coach Shula was wrong. I(and this is just my opinion) think that Mal Moore only hired him to get us through probation and had no plans for keeping him. I think that the 10 win season just made it look better for a while. It was unfair to hire the man. A large university is not the place to do on the job training, and it was just too much pressure. Except for the money, I think that in the long run Coach Shula will be glad that he is away from all of that pressure.

I hate that this happened to him, because he is one of our own. If we were going to have bad seasons anyway, I wish that they had just hired anyone and gone on with it, and not hurt one of our own.

Don Shula is the one talking, not Mike. And he's absolutely correct. I'll take a Hall of Fame coach's opinion over a pathological liar's every time.

Can BG actually be diagnosed as a pathological liar?

Can BG actually be diagnosed as a pathological liar?

No, because there is a difference between lying and being delusional.

i believe it was on 790 the zone, not 680 for what it's worth.

it was a hilarious interview. he went off on alabama and moore in general. something to the extent of "my son wins the cotton bowl, gets the extension, then is fired after a tough year with close losses. i think mal moore is the one that should be fired"

1) You said: "Shula is recruiting 'Lights Out!'"

2) When I told you that I was hearing all kinds of rumors about conflict on the team because of Shula's lax policies about discipline and team rules (hince the "Ice Cream Comment") You said that you had not heard a word about it and that it sounded like more Aubie rumor mongering.

You know BG, WC, BPossum, BPerry, BMH, RWS, etc, Just because we are NOT Crimson, doesnt mean that we dont know what is going on in the world. I still remember very plainly how Mark Green broke the 'Fran to TAMU' story and was, and still is, called every name in the book. But guess what? He, AND WE, knew more about YOUR program than probably 95% of your fanbase.

You guys were drinking the kool-aid last year about 'Bama's Back' and Bama was just coming back around in 2005. Shula only had three years to do anything. You cant fix cancer if they only allow you to have half the time you need to do the surgery.

And BTW, Don Shula is a Hall of Fame Coach, likely a Top 2-3 HOF Coach. He is the only Coach to go Undefeated in NFL History. Lombardi, Knoll, Eubanks, Brown, Hallas, Parcells, Belichick, Johnson, et al, NEVER did that. I and the rest of the world, think he has earned the right to express his opinions on anything he wants to talk about.

I respect Don Shula for wanting to take up for his son, but he really needs to let this drop. He is drawing more attention to the fact that his son was fired.He is making it look like Coach Mike Shula is 12 years old and needs his daddy to defend him. This is not the first time that Mike Shula has been fired. He has been fired from pro teams also. His mentor, Ray Perkins fired him, and I don't remember Don Shula pitching a fit then.

I would be the first to admit that what Alabama did to Coach Shula was wrong. I(and this is just my opinion) think that Mal Moore only hired him to get us through probation and had no plans for keeping him. I think that the 10 win season just made it look better for a while. It was unfair to hire the man. A large university is not the place to do on the job training, and it was just too much pressure. Except for the money, I think that in the long run Coach Shula will be glad that he is away from all of that pressure.

I hate that this happened to him, because he is one of our own. If we were going to have bad seasons anyway, I wish that they had just hired anyone and gone on with it, and not hurt one of our own.

Exactly. So it's not like he's the boy who cries wolf. He (along with most everyone else) sees uat handled the situation very poorly, and his son's replacement is a slimeball with zero moral credibility.

So Galen, you think Shula is a great coach and we were wrong to fire him?

Remember, I know what you've been saying all along.

And David, much of my knowledge of the Shula situation as far as workouts etc came out well after this season began to go south.

I do think Shula was a good recruiter. But I think he would have recruited on the level that he was recruiting...whether we were on probation, won 6 games, or won 11 games. In other words, he peaked. Regardless of how good we were, he was never going to be a top 5 recruiter. More like top 15. But considering he was pulling in top 15 classes with all the crap that he inherited, I think it was pretty good.

So Galen, you think Shula is a great coach and we were wrong to fire him?

Remember, I know what you've been saying all along.

And David, much of my knowledge of the Shula situation as far as workouts etc came out well after this season began to go south.

I do think Shula was a good recruiter. But I think he would have recruited on the level that he was recruiting...whether we were on probation, won 6 games, or won 11 games. In other words, he peaked. Regardless of how good we were, he was never going to be a top 5 recruiter. More like top 15. But considering he was pulling in top 15 classes with all the crap that he inherited, I think it was pretty good.

Same trick. It doesn't work.

What is in question here is not GG's opinion of Mike Shula.

We want to know what YOU thought of Shula one year ago today.

YOU were touting on and on about how much better he is than Tuberville, and how the 10 win season you guys were coming off of was pure coaching talent, and how he deserved a raise.

YOU have done a complete 180 on your opinion of Shula.

Do you use the same "reevaluation" criteria that Rivals does?

Our position has been pretty consistant throughout. He was a mediocre coach at best.

We're not the ones blaming your ex-coach for all problems at the crapstone. We're not the ones bringing it up, but you are the one who has completely flip-flopped on YOUR evaluation of Shula.

Quit trying to flip this around on us, just like you do with everything.

Looking at what shape Shula left our program in,

:roflol: I really want to know 'what shape' he left the program in?

BMH, yes Don has a right to be pissed at the powers that be at the crapstone...how else do you think Mike got the coaching job, than thru Don. So Don stuck his neck out wanting his son to have the chance at a D1 school, his alma mater, and that same school chops his head off!! Of course he is pissed.

chiz...it's not even a year ago.

it was only this past november, leading up to the iron bowl, that BS claimed that CTT and CMS were even as far as coaches ago.

And for what it's worth, we heard the same "lifting until their eyes pop out, in better shape than they EVER were under Fran" when Shula came on board. He was the conditioning fool.

YOU were touting on and on about how much better he is than Tuberville, and how the 10 win season you guys were coming off of was pure coaching talent, and how he deserved a raise.

Our position has been pretty consistant throughout. He was a mediocre coach at best.

We're not the ones blaming your ex-coach for all problems at the crapstone. We're not the ones bringing it up, but you are the one who has completely flip-flopped on YOUR evaluation of Shula.

First, don't put words in my mouth. I said he was slightly better in terms of Xs and Os (still believe that) but overall CTT was a better coach because he managed his staff better.

And why am I not allowed to reevaluate my position after being presented with more evidence? I don't think Shula is a bad coach. I think he's too loyal to his staff and too hard headed in his ways. One being the VOLUNTARY strength and conditioning program. Another being his TOTAL unwillingness to make personell changes.

This information wasnt available to me at the beginning of the year. And his first two years, his coaching drawbacks were masked by the mess he inherited when he first got here. So all I had to go on was the 10 win season.

Again, he's not a bad coach. And he would still be employed if he was willing to adjust his philosophies AT ALL.

And for what it's worth, we heard the same "lifting until their eyes pop out, in better shape than they EVER were under Fran" when Shula came on board. He was the conditioning fool.

You're on good drugs. EVERYBODY knows the one thing Fran did well was get our guys in shape. Ben Pollard was the man...and is STILL loved in tuscaloosa. What you heard was the S&C guy we got to REPLACE Pollard when Shula came in was very very talented. And he was/is. But his hands were tied by Shula...and couldnt enforce a program...because Shula's NFL mentality let the guys work at their own pace.

I swear if ONE retard Bama fan says something...and 1000 say the opposite...Galen will run with the ONE guy and go "this is what all Bama fans think".

First, don't put words in my mouth. I said he was slightly better in terms of Xs and Os (still believe that) but overall CTT was a better coach because he managed his staff better.

And why am I not allowed to reevaluate my position after being presented with more evidence? I don't think Shula is a bad coach. I think he's too loyal to his staff and too hard headed in his ways. One being the VOLUNTARY strength and conditioning program. Another being his TOTAL unwillingness to make personell changes.

This information wasnt available to me at the beginning of the year. And his first two years, his coaching drawbacks were masked by the mess he inherited when he first got here. So all I had to go on was the 10 win season.

Again, he's not a bad coach. And he would still be employed if he was willing to adjust his philosophies AT ALL.

You're on good drugs. EVERYBODY knows the one thing Fran did well was get our guys in shape. Ben Pollard was the man...and is STILL loved in tuscaloosa. What you heard was the S&C guy we got to REPLACE Pollard when Shula came in was very very talented. And he was/is. But his hands were tied by Shula...and couldnt enforce a program...because Shula's NFL mentality let the guys work at their own pace.

I swear if ONE retard Bama fan says something...and 1000 say the opposite...Galen will run with the ONE guy and go "this is what all Bama fans think".

It must be lonely being the one Bama fan apparently swimming against the tide.

One being the VOLUNTARY strength and conditioning program

I tried to tell you about Brodie eating popsicles and watching TV in the weight room, did you want to listen? :no:

Galen will run with the ONE guy because he, as well as everyone here that doesn't wear Pink Colored Glasses, knows that the ONE retarded bammer fan is the majority voice concerning everything that happens down in that Cesspool of a University you call home.

Archived