Nutt gets a raise and contract extension

CShine

Arkansas has shown its support for embattled football coach Houston Nutt by giving him a pay raise. Nutt said Friday that he has agreed to a raise, which athletic director Frank Broyles had mentioned when he announced a one-year contract extension for Nutt in December. The paperwork for the extension has not been finalized, but Nutt was expected to sign the new deal soon. Terms of the raise have not been disclosed, but it will boost Nutt's annual salary of $1,049,644.

"(Broyles) said it would happen, and he has always followed through," Nutt said, referring to the pay raise. "It just got lost in the recruiting."

Broyles said on Jan. 26 that he still planned to give Nutt a raise despite much displeasure from fans regarding the direction of Arkansas' football program. At the time, Broyles said he hoped to get Nutt's raise finalized by early February when the coach could take a break from recruiting. The only sticking point was that Nutt had not yet decided on whether he wanted the additional money now or when he retires.

Nutt said he saw the raise as a show of support from Arkansas after a rough two-month stretch that has included plenty of negative publicity and some fans calling for the coach to be fired. The raise also dispels the notion that the school intends to buy out the remainder of Nutt's contract. His new deal extends his contract through the 2012 season.

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/02/...fbnuttraise.txt

This damn near guarantees that 2007 will be Nutt's last season in Fayetteville.

Why would he say he wasn't sure that he wanted the raise now or when he retires? Doesn't it just come down to him making the interest on that money or Arkansas making the interest on that money? Or does he know that he's gone soon anyway?

And I thought w/Broyles gone, Nutt would also be gone IMMEDIATELY. Do the PTB at Arkansas just think it will not look as bad to have everybody (high school coach, Broyles, Nutt, who knows who else) gone in the same year?

And don't they know that extending Nutt's contract will make the buyout just that much more (a la Shula and SPUAT)?

Nutt got an extension! :o You would think he would keep that kind of info a secret. How embarrassing.

Wow, its like a circus in hogtown! Nutt is running the program into the ground, it does seem similar to another school as mentioned before.

From Macho Man Randy Savage's "Mr. Perfect" :

We got your back - buddy system style.

:lol:

That place is going wacko. I think its beginning to affect their basketball team.

Broyles did this because he's retiring after this year, and he wants to make sure that his boy, HN, is being taken care of when he's fired after 2007. :)

:au::homer:

I guess I just don't understand why there is this faction calling for his head. It seems to me that he's done a very good job for the Hogs. One thing for certain is that he's got CTT's number and he has the boys ready every year for AU. Maybe with a few more Ark. boys on our team we'll pay more attention to this game.

I guess I just don't understand why there is this faction calling for his head. It seems to me that he's done a very good job for the Hogs. One thing for certain is that he's got CTT's number and he has the boys ready every year for AU. Maybe with a few more Ark. boys on our team we'll pay more attention to this game.

You must have not ever been on woopig, don't go there if you are faint of heart. Alabama and Auburn are about the only decent teams Nutt beats. He is 10-8 against AU and UA, not that great but good for Arkansas. The man is a joke, he has an ego bigger than Little Rock. His winning pct is barely above .600 and a good part of his success is from his first two years with Ford's players. He is 0-2 in Atlanta, giving up 30+ both times. He is 7-19 against UF,UGA,UK,LSU and UT; he owns Mississippi with 14-4 clip against Ole Miss and MSU.

Archived