John Edwards To Skip Nevada Debate

John Edwards To Skip Nevada Debate

Liberal Activists Protest Fox News' Role In Presidential Candidate Forum

(CBS/AP) Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards won't participate in a debate co-hosted by Fox News and the Nevada Democratic Party, his campaign said, as party officials tried to settle a dustup over their partnership with the cable network.

Edwards' campaign said the involvement of Fox News, which is often accused by liberals of having a conservative bias, was part of the decision to pass on the Aug. 14 debate in Reno.

"There were a number of factors and Fox was one of those. We're already planning to participate in a jam-packed schedule of debates across this country ... we can't attend every single debate and forum," the campaign said in a statement.

The two Democratic presidential frontrunners, Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama, have not indicated whether they will attend the Nevada debate. Fox boss Rupert Murdoch threw a Senate fundraiser for Clinton, and is said to have a good relationship with the former first lady.

Online activists and bloggers quickly hailed Edwards' decision as a victory in their campaign to urge Nevada Democrats to drop Fox News as a partner.

MoveOn.org Civic Action says it has collected more than 260,000 signatures on a petition that calls the cable network a "mouthpiece for the Republican Party, not a legitimate news channel."

Fox News Channel vice president of news David Rhodes issued a statement calling it "unfortunate that Sen. Edwards has decided to abandon an opportunity to reach the largest mainstream cable news audience in America."

On the language of the petition, Rhodes has said: "Everyone has a right to free speech."

Democratic Party officials and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid initially touted the partnership with Fox News as an opportunity to reach out to a different bloc of voters.

But in a letter posted Wednesday on the party's Web site, Democratic Party Chairman Tom Collins said Reid now shares activists' concerns and "has asked us to take another look."

Collins said the party would invite a "local progressive voice" to participate on the debate panel, which also would include a reporter from a local Fox affiliate, a national Fox News reporter and the moderator.

The party also invited the local Air America affiliate, a liberal radio network, to air the event live. C-SPAN will carry the debate after the Fox News broadcast and PoliticsTV.com to carry the live Fox News webcast feed on its site for one-time viewing, he said.

MoveOn Civic Action spokesman Adam Green dismissed the offer as "a lame proposal that would have multiple Fox personalities joined by one lone Air America panelist. That's a rigged, unfair and unbalanced debate."

"The Fox debate should just be canceled and a more legitimate news source should be found," Green said.

Nevada Democratic Party spokeswoman Kirsten Searer said Edwards is the first candidate to formally respond to the invitation. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson has said publicly he plans to attend.

Searer said the decision to partner with Fox, which will pay for some production and promotion costs, is part of Nevada Democrats' overall plan to bring new voters into the presidential process and its new early caucus, scheduled for Jan. 19.

The Democratic parties of Arizona, Colorado, Montana and New Mexico and the Western Majority Project, a political action committee, also are sponsoring the event.

Link

Why are you for censorship? Don't you believe in free speech?

Censorship??? He chooses not to be involved with FauxNews charade of 'fair and balanced' and acknowledges it for what it is. FauxNews can use the other debates to misquote and mislead its viewers.

Again, good for him. I hope the rest follow his lead.

I think he's scared. He knows he will be lobbed softballs by the lefties and by censoring Fox, he won't be outed for the fraud he knows he is.

Censorship??? He chooses not to be involved with FauxNews charade of 'fair and balanced' and acknowledges it for what it is. FauxNews can use the other debates to misquote and mislead its viewers.

Again, good for him. I hope the rest follow his lead.

I read about a poll recently that stated that >80% of the journalists surveyed professed themselves to liberal in their beliefs. Do you really think all news is "fair and balanced" and just that fox is a bunch of whakos or might it be your frame of reference is off a bit.

I'm glad to know you are for silencing a segment of the populations voice. I suggest you be a leader and start with yourself.

Nice Spin Al, but we really know what this is all about...

chickenshit.jpg

I thought he was a f-a-g-g-o-t.

I think he's scared. He knows he will be lobbed softballs by the lefties and by censoring Fox, he won't be outed for the fraud he knows he is.

Yeah, I'm sure that's it. He's scared of the top-notch "journalists" ( :roflol: ) there at FauxNews!!! Yeah, that's it!!!

I guess the Fox audience is too large for him. Fox is certainly less biased than the CNN (Clinton News Network) or CNBC (Can Never Believe their Crap) or MSNBC (MOMMA Said Never Believe their Crap).

Edwards is still trying to appeal to the Moonbat wing of the Democrat party and can't afford to appear mainstream.

I guess the Fox audience is too large for him. Fox is certainly less biased than the CNN (Clinton News Network) or CNBC (Can Never Believe their Crap) or MSNBC (MOMMA Said Never Believe their Crap).

Edwards is still trying to appeal to the Moonbat wing of the Democrat party and can't afford to appear mainstream.

It is primary season, he has to run to the extreme left now. The zag to the middle isnt until after the convention. It says a lot that he would rather run than answer a few questions that are guaranteed to tbe softballs anyway. What will he do when he has to face down a world leader, or order troops into a life threatening situation? Cut and run?

It is primary season, he has to run to the extreme left now. The zag to the middle isnt until after the convention. It says a lot that he would rather run than answer a few questions that are guaranteed to tbe softballs anyway. What will he do when he has to face down a world leader, or order troops into a life threatening situation? Cut and run?

Ahhh, strawmen.

Ahhh, strawmen.

Realistic question...

Ahhh, strawmen.

Realistic question...

I'm certain he could hit 'softballs' like this out of the park:

Q Thank you, Mr. President. In the last campaign, you were asked a question about the biggest mistake you'd made in your life, and you used to like to joke that it was trading Sammy Sosa. You've looked back before 9/11 for what mistakes might have been made. After 9/11, what would your biggest mistake be, would you say, and what lessons have you learned from it?

THE PRESIDENT: I wish you would have given me this written question ahead of time, so I could plan for it. (Laughter.) John, I'm sure historians will look back and say, gosh, he could have done it better this way, or that way. You know, I just -- I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference, with all the pressure of trying to come up with an answer, but it hadn't yet.

I hope I -- I don't want to sound like I've made no mistakes. I'm confident I have. I just haven't -- you just put me under the spot here, and maybe I'm not as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one.

Uh...uh...I uh...I uh...umm...uhh.

Good God. He sounded as articulate as some ghetto thug being interviewed at halftime!

At least bush was there to get the question. Edwards is running from even being asked a question.

At least bush was there to get the question. Edwards is running from even being asked a question.

Uhh...umm...I umm...uhhh...I don't...umm...know...umm...ahh quite ahh...uhhh...what to...y'know...umm...uhh...y'know...uhh...say.

I hardly think this will be the end of it for Edwards. He may get the immediate adulation of people that don't watch/like Fox News right now, but sooner or later he's going to have to answer some hardball questioning from the media. He can't keep running away forever. Otherwise, the public will start believing he's a wimp/wuss/coward for ducking tough interview questions. And there goes the 'Presidential Image' right out the window, no matter how much hairspray he uses. Hmm, ... maybe Coulter was on to something. :big:

I hardly think this will be the end of it for Edwards. He may get the immediate adulation of people that don't watch/like Fox News right now, but sooner or later he's going to have to answer some hardball questioning from the media. He can't keep running away forever. Otherwise, the public will start believing he's a wimp/wuss/coward for ducking tough interview questions. And there goes the 'Presidential Image' right out the window, no matter how much hairspray he uses. Hmm, ... maybe Coulter was on to something. :big:

He spent 2 years answering tough questions during the 2004 election so I really think he can handle them now.

He spent 2 years answering tough questions during the 2004 election so I really think he can handle them now.

From who?

Obviously not, or he wouldn't be running from them. Do you seriously think he's going to break a sweat with those Teenbeat magazine questions CNN and the like are going to lob towards him.

Obviously not, or he wouldn't be running from them. Do you seriously think he's going to break a sweat with those Teenbeat magazine questions CNN and the like are going to lob towards him.

Bush and Cheney go on Fox to face the "tough" questions. :roflol::roflol:

No, they get their tough questions from NBC/ABC/CBS/CNN and the rest. These are the only people the MSM throw the heat to. Put a liberal democrat candidate behind the podium and their questions turn to mush.

C'mon man, you're making this too easy. You nor your buddy Al have answered why you favor censoring the media.

No, they get their tough questions from NBC/ABC/CBS/CNN and the rest. These are the only people the MSM throw the heat to. Put a liberal democrat candidate behind the podium and their questions turn to mush.

C'mon man, you're making this too easy. You nor your buddy Al have answered why you favor censoring the media.

You haven't demonstrated that you have the slightest clue what the word "censored" means.

Why do you support silencing the media?

Archived