Actor Fred Thompson Considers 2008 Run

Tiger Al

WASHINGTON -- Not enough "star" power for Fred Thompson in a GOP presidential field that includes some of his friends? Whatever the case, the actor and former Tennessee senator is considering getting into the 2008 race.

Thompson, who plays district attorney Arthur Branch on NBC's drama "Law & Order," said Sunday, "I'm giving some thought to it, going to leave the door open" and decide in the coming months. "It's not really a reflection on the current field at all," he said.

"I'm just going to wait and see what happens," Thompson added. "I wanted to see how my colleagues who are on the campaign trail do now, what they say, what they emphasize, what they're addressing, and how successful they are in doing that, and whether or not they can carry the ball in next November."

Thompson, 64, said he was pondering a run after former Senate Majority Leader Howard Baker and other Tennessee Republicans began drumming up support for his possible GOP candidacy, citing his conservative credentials.

"I think people are somewhat disillusioned. I think a lot of people are cynical out there. I think they're looking for something different. ... and I think that they're going to be open to different things," he said.

"It will be interesting to me as I listen to people and learn and watch what's going on and what's the reaction, and the poll numbers and so forth, as to whether or not my instinct on that is right."

On the issues, Thompson said he:

_Is "pro-life," and believes federal judges should overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision as "bad law and bad medical science."

_Opposes gay marriage, but would let states decide whether to allow civil unions. "Marriage is between a man and a woman, and I don't believe judges ought to come along and change that."

_Opposes gun control, and praised last week's 2-1 federal appeals decision overturning a long-standing handgun ban. "The court basically said the Constitution means what it says, and I agree with that."

_Supports President Bush's decision to increase troops in Iraq. "Wars are full of mistakes. You rectify things. I think we're doing that now," he said. "Why would we not take any chance, even though there's certainly no guarantees, to not be run out of that place? I mean, we've got to take that opportunity and give it a chance to work."

_Would pardon former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby's conviction for perjury and obstruction of justice now, rather than waiting until all his appeals are exhausted. Thompson is a fundraiser for Libby's defense.

Thompson said he was not setting a deadline to make a decision and believes he won't be at a disadvantage if he waited until summer. "The lay of the land will be different in a few months than it is today, one way or the other."

He added, "One advantage you have in not ... having this as lifelong ambition is that if it turns out that your calculation is wrong, it's not the end of the world."

Thompson, the minority counsel in the Watergate investigation, was elected to the Senate in 1994 to fill the unexpired term of Vice President Al Gore. He was chairman of the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee and left the Senate in 2003 to resume his acting career.

Thompson has acted in films such as "The Hunt for Red October," "Cape Fear," and "In the Line of Fire."

Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, who is pursuing the Democratic nomination for president, said Thompson was as qualified as anyone "to credibly throw his hat in the ring." Added Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C.: "I think he makes a great president in the movies and he might make a great one in real life."

Thompson was interviewed on "Fox News Sunday"; Biden and Graham spoke on CNN's "Late Edition."

LINK

The religious right must be so underwhelmed with the current list of republican frontrunners that they're taking the actor-turned-president angle out for one more spin.

I actually think Thompson would make a good president. I liked having him as a senator while in Tennessee and he's not given to being a blind ideologue. The only thing I'm reading that would raise questions for me would be him wanting to pardon Scooter Libby right out of the gate. Seems hasty.

I actually think Thompson would make a good president. I liked having him as a senator while in Tennessee and he's not given to being a blind ideologue. The only thing I'm reading that would raise questions for me would be him wanting to pardon Scooter Libby right out of the gate. Seems hasty.

That statement is probably there for reasons other that what it appears. I fully expect Bush to pardon Libby.

That statement is probably there for reasons other that what it appears. I fully expect Bush to pardon Libby.

Probably so. I do think this whole Plamegate thing is a little overblown. But I wouldn't consider pardoning someone until all the appeals had been done and I'd had a chance to fully consider all the elements involved.

Probably so. I do think this whole Plamegate thing is a little overblown. But I wouldn't consider pardoning someone until all the appeals had been done and I'd had a chance to fully consider all the elements involved.

If I were Bush, I'd do it now. Take what few samll lumps will be given and it will disappear very quickly. I think all of america knows a railroad job when they see one. There just wasn't really any reason to take this any farther once it was determined who leaked the name of a normal, non-covert, employee of the CIA.

I think Thompson would be an excellent choice. When you hear his voice against anyone else's, their's just disappears. And the way people are, they will vote for the best voice at times. He seems to have a good track record and is conservative enough to carry most republican votes.

"I think Thompson would be an excellent choice. When you hear his voice against anyone else's, their's just disappears. And the way people are, they will vote for the best voice at times. "

See I have a different theory. I've always theorized that, between two candidates, the one with the most hair wins.

I like how Fred Thompson speaks his mind, and doesn't parse his words or lace his comments with politico speak. You know where he stands on an issue once he's answered a question.

Seems Mit Romney isn't willing ( or able ) to take the GOP Elephant by the tusks, so Fred might be the man for job.

Guest Tigrinum Major

How do you explain Ike?

An excellent point. But I'm really discussing in the modern television age.

I think that is why Kennedy beat Nixon. He was cleancut and Nixon looked like he was getting over a three day weekend.

So, if Dog would run, he's a shoe-in, right?

Reagan is widely hailed as one of the best we ever had. Thompson would be a great one I think.

Al, you are right tho. There are not many the Rel. Right really like at the moment.

I have some inside info on Thompson, and I'm all for him.

There are really only three republicans that I would be comfortable having as President. Thompson and Hagel, if they decide to run and Giuliani.

Giuliani has no chance of even being nominated because of his social record and Hagel won't because of his opposition to Iraq. As you say, there are some very appealing qualities about Thompson.

I was leaning towards Romney as my very early favorite, but if Thompson joins the race, I would have to re-evaluate that.

However, I have also not looked at all the Democratic candidates either besides the more prominent ones like Clinton, Obama, and Edwards. There could be a lesser known dem that may sway me that way. I may be a conservative, but I don't automatically assume only republican candidates are the best choice, they just tend to line up more with my beliefs. As I have stated before, I have supported Bud Cramer, a democrat, in the last few elections.

TA, you are right about the religious right not having any candidate they can throw their full support behind right now. Thompson would probably be their best choice. I honestly think we may be getting away from the days where all the republican candidates are going to make the religious right happy.

As I have said before, when it comes to voting in federal elections, especially when voting for the President, you are basically choosing between the lesser of two evils. I am not saying that the candidates are all evil, just that neither usually are perfect and have some negative aspects that make you have to stop and think. Basically, it seems like you are voting for the guy that you think can do the least amount of damage while in office.

On the issues, Thompson said he:

_Is "pro-life," and believes federal judges should overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision as "bad law and bad medical science."

_Opposes gay marriage, but would let states decide whether to allow civil unions. "Marriage is between a man and a woman, and judges shouldn't be allowed to change that."

_Opposes gun control, and praised last week's 2-1 federal appeals decision overturning a long-standing handgun ban. "The court basically said the Constitution means what it says."

_Supports President Bush's decision to increase troops in Iraq. "Wars are full of mistakes. You rectify them. I think we are doing that now," he said. "We've got to give it a chance to work."

_Would pardon former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby's conviction for perjury and obstruction of justice now, rather than waiting until all his appeals are exhausted.

Libby is "bearing the political brunt of something that should've never come about," Thompson said, noting that "practically every witness at trial had inconsistent statements."

WorldNetDaily notes his position on illegal immigration as well:

We woke up one day after years of neglect and apparently discovered that we have somewhere between 12 million and 20 million illegal aliens in this country. So it became an impossible situation to deal with. I mean, there's really no good solution. So what do you do? You have to start over. Well, I'm concerned about the next 12 million or 20 million. So that's why enforcement, and enforcement at the border, has to be primary.

I think most people feel disillusioned after 1986 when we had this deal offered to them before, and now we're insisting that, you know, we solve the security problem first, and then we'll talk about what to do with regard to other things – certainly no amnesty or nothing blanket like that.

But figure out some way to make some differentiation between the kind of people that we have here.

You know, if you have the right kind of policies, and you're not encouraging people to come here and encouraging them to stay once they're here, they'll go back, many of them, of their own volition, instead of having to, you know, load up moving vans and rounding people up. That's not going to happen.

Sounds rational and concise to me: secure the border, get rid of the incentives driving illegal immigration, and then figure out what to do about the illegal population already within our borders. We could use a candidate who can produce such ideas that go beyond mere soundbites without turning the dialogue into something exclusive to policy wonks, either.

But will he run?

Thompson said he was not setting a deadline to make a decision and believes he won't be at a disadvantage if he waited until summer. "The lay of the land will be different in a couple of months than it is today, one way or another," he said.

Thompson, the minority counsel in the Watergate investigation, was elected to the Senate in 1994 to fill the unexpired term of Vice President Al Gore. He was chairman of the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee and left the Senate in 2003 to resume his acting career.

Everything I've heard about Thompson I've liked, and as every conservative knows, he's always been the voice of reason in a liberal New York City legal office. I'd like to see him enter the race, and if he continues to develop a platform on which to run along the lines of what we've already heard, he may quickly become my favorite among the many contenders for the nomination. His candidacy could have quite an impact indeed.

I preface the following with the admission that I'm only saying this because I still think Condi would make an excellent candidate herself, but can anyone say "Thompson/Rice 2008"?

link

After Bush 41 and 43, I will not just go Republican. For the record, I never voted FOR them. I did not vote 41 ever. 43 I was far more voting against the two clowns running against him.

Archived