riddle

bellefay1

Are we talking about Boise St that pulled it off, or Oklahoma that let it be pulled off?

The proper terminology is "Hook and Lateral".

Do not anger with me on this.

Oklahoma.

I totally agree; however, if you've heard one of the promos for Mike & Mike on ESPN that they ran, they had a debate about that. They brought in Bill Curry *cough, cough* and he said it was definitely "Hook & Ladder"

That settled it for me....It's Hook & Lateral!

It seems pretty self-explanatory why it would be "hook and lateral." The WR runs a hook route, and as soon as he catches, he laterals it to his teammate.

In defense of the creator of the original post, it is much easier to find a picture of a ladder than to find a picture of a lateral unless you actually take a picture of somebody running the option.

In high school our coach called it a "hook and ladder", but he was a Bammer.

Oklahoma.

I totally agree; however, if you've heard one of the promos for Mike & Mike on ESPN that they ran, they had a debate about that. They brought in Bill Curry *cough, cough* and he said it was definitely "Hook & Ladder"

That settled it for me....It's Hook & Lateral!

hook and ladder is a term used for a ladder company in a fire department. the ladder part is obvious because well its a ladder truck and the hook part refers to the pike poles that the ladder truck carries which are used to pull ceilings/walls, etc. ladder companies are commonly used for ventilation and things like that. just to get technical ;)

Guest Tigrinum Major

hook and ladder is a term used for a ladder company in a fire department. the ladder part is obvious because well its a ladder truck and the hook part refers to the pike poles that the ladder truck carries which are used to pull ceilings/walls, etc. ladder companies are commonly used for ventilation and things like that. just to get technical ;)

WTF does that have to do with a gimmick play run successfully by Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl?

The hook in that case is the route the receiver ran to put him in a position to lateral to a teammate. It has nothing to do with poles and ladders or firemen, great people that they are.

People like Bill Curry are just stupid and lazy.

I've heard it called both. My high school coaches called it the "hook and ladder", but I never understood where ladder came from unless they were trying to say the receiver coming around to take the lateral was "climbing" up the field. When I finally heard it called the "hook and lateral" that made so much more sense to me.

Of course it could be one of this instances where "hook and lateral" was like one of those misheard lyrics of a song, so somebody started calling it the "hook and ladder".

BTW...I did not find out what the actual words to the chorus of "Blinded By the Light" was until a couple of years ago. I always thought they were saying "ripped up like a douche, another ruler in the night". :lol:

Well not to defend curry or anything, but the correct term is hook and ladder. It goes back to the fireman thing. the play was first run by an rec league team of course made up of fireman. They named the play the hook and ladder. over time people have put football terminology to it saying the rec. runs the curl or hook and then laterals it. Which is true but the original name would be Hook and Ladder.

WTF does that have to do with a gimmick play run successfully by Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl?

The hook in that case is the route the receiver ran to put him in a position to lateral to a teammate. It has nothing to do with poles and ladders or firemen, great people that they are.

People like Bill Curry are just stupid and lazy.

it has to do with people calling the play the "hook and ladder" when it makes no sense calling it that, given the true definition of "hook and ladder". hook and ladder obviously has no relation to a play, as to where hook and lateral obviously does.

Let me try to explain this again for the bammers.

Hook and Ladder was the name of a play. Such as the Hail Mary. The hail mary is really all go's, or all verticals, but the name of the play has carried over to we call all verticals a hail mary. Hook and Ladder was the original name of the play. Yes it is a curl(hook) and lateral but the question was why do people call it the hook and ladder. I explained.

So what are the actual words to "Blinded By the Light" because I swore thats what it was saying.

"Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night".

Oklahoma.

{debating whether to incur wrath of TM ... ... what the hey} The proper terminology is not "lateral." It's 'backward pass.' Rule book definitions & stuff. Just saying ...

Guest Tigrinum Major

Well not to defend curry or anything, but the correct term is hook and ladder. It goes back to the fireman thing. the play was first run by an rec league team of course made up of fireman. They named the play the hook and ladder. over time people have put football terminology to it saying the rec. runs the curl or hook and then laterals it. Which is true but the original name would be Hook and Ladder.

Just because Woody Paige said it does not mean it is true.

Oklahoma.

{debating whether to incur wrath of TM ... ... what the hey} The proper terminology is not "lateral." It's 'backward pass.' Rule book definitions & stuff. Just saying ...

True.

I think the correct termonology depends on who runs it.

For example......

When it was run by Mike Price at UAT it was "Hookers & Poles".

I think the correct termonology depends on who runs it.

For example......

When it was run by Mike Price at UAT it was "Hookers & Poles".

When it was Mike Shula it was called "hook and oh f#$%!"

Nope, his playbook consisted of run right, run up the middle, incomplete pass, punt.

Nope, his playbook consisted of run right, run up the middle, incomplete pass, punt.

You forgot about "QB, Cave-under the Wall of Defensive Linemen, and Suck the thumb" play. That was his favorite play to run during the '05 Iron Bowl.

In defense of the creator of the original post, it is much easier to find a picture of a ladder than to find a picture of a lateral unless you actually take a picture of somebody running the option.

In high school our coach called it a "hook and ladder", but he was a Bammer.

I rest my case...Hook and lateral is has always been...and shall always be. :)

:au::homer:

Archived