Prothro's injury still casting long shadow at Alabama

bigsixfive

Prothro's injury still casting long shadow at Alabama

Dennis Dodd March 13, 2007

Tyrone Prothro was always hard to catch. Now he's hard to find.

"I just hung up with him on my cell phone," says Michael Shortt, his coach at Cleburne County (Ala.) High School. "That's hard to believe you called. He's going to be here in 30 minutes."

The problem is you're not going to be there in 30 minutes. You give your number to the coach, hoping that Alabama's former superstar-in-the-making calls back, let's you in on his world. It doesn't happen. The number of his mother, Vivian Prothro, in tiny Heflin, Ala., is unlisted. Officials at Alabama are unwilling to talk. The staff that recruited and coached him is gone, scattered across the country.

Alabama's one-time next great hope is pretty much a ghost these days. You would be too if a gruesome double left-leg fracture snatched your livelihood away. In a game against Florida almost 18 months ago, the junior was carried out of Bryant-Denny Stadium on a gurney. His Alabama teammates took a knee, almost as one, hoping he wasn't done.

Sitting upright, he shook a fist, pointed to the sky and was gone from football.

Forever?

A cable network later gave him an award for the play of the year. Prothro's catch on the back of Southern Miss defender Jasper Faulk is a YouTube staple. It has been immortalized by college football artist Daniel Moore, as his "The Catch" is one of his hottest sellers.

Prothro gained 8,099 all-purpose yards as a receiver/running back/quarterback/etc. at Cleburne County. That's the third-highest total in a state where having the third-highest total means something. Playing "slash" again in college, "Pro" averaged 17 yards every time he touched the ball.

Prothro had speed, charisma. He was a bit of a Moses leading the moribund Tide out of the college football desert. But if he doesn't play this fall it will be 2 1/2 seasons out of action. Prothro would most likely need a waiver from the NCAA to get a sixth year eligibility in 2008.

"He told me he would play, no matter what it takes, his last year," Shortt said.

Les Fowler, the Alabama doctor who performed the surgery, described the injury as an "open comminuted fracture." A comminuted fracture is described as bone that is "broken, splintered or crushed into a number of pieces." Now add the word "open" to that.

An infection set in. There have been whispers that his care was mishandled. When was the last time you heard of a broken leg that required a 26-day hospital stay?

"It looked like a field injury in the war," Shortt said of the initial injury.

On a recent visit to Cleburne, Prothro played basketball and then bench pressed 395 pounds, according to Shortt. The coach hoped Prothro would come around while his players were lifting, to show them what is possible.

"I don't even look down at it," Shortt said of the brace Prothro wears. "He won't talk about it."

It's been a long two years. 'Bama football hasn't been the same since Prothro was injured. There has been a dearth of playmakers. The program changed coaches again. It went 10-2 in 2005, but who knows what difference Prothro could have made in late-season losses to Auburn and LSU by a total of 13 points?

A former 'Bama assistant later told Shortt, "If he's still playing, I'm still at Alabama. (Mike) Shula's still there."

Prothro isn't forgotten, just laying low. Would you want to talk about the endless hours of rehab with no promise of a return? After the injury, he got a signed ball from Georgia players. The president sent a note. He limped out on the field for the Auburn game to deliver a game ball. He was the first to greet Nick Saban when the new coach entered the football building for the first time.

Now? Sympathy is great. Compassion is laudable. But soon Saban might have to make a hard decision on Prothro's scholarship.

Everybody wants to see him play again.

No matter what it takes.

But when?

"If God wants him to play," Shortt said. "He'll play."

Only 395? What a shrimp.

Not to take away from his accomplishment on the benchpress, but he has two advantages. One, he's been using his arms a ton rather than his legs and building up his upper body. Also, he's got short arms. I know because I am not that tall of a guy and I in a few monthos of working out got up to 315 at the end of a pyramid which is a max of about 340. Once you start to bulk up, you don't have to brind the bar down as far, and with short arms, you don't have to go up as far. I'm sure without being able to go out and run, he's working out his upper body a lot. I'm sure he'd slim down if he got back to playing again.

I also think it is unlikely he will return. Based on what I've heard about the infection, its likely he has a chronic infection in that bone. Most of the time, your body keeps it in check, but further trauma can reactivate it. He just seemed to gimpy at this years Iron Bowl to be thinking about being back to full form soon.

Whats crazy to me is that he was able to play basketball. The Prothro I saw before the Iron Bowl wouldn't have been able to do that. Given the seriousness of the injury, it seems like he's come a very long way in order to run around on a basketball court.

If he isn't 100%, Saban will throw him out like yesterday' newspaper.

He isn't even 50%.

His playing basketball didn't involve much running. He was on an intramural team and spent most of the time on the bench.

I'm still hoping for the best...but I highly doubt he ever plays again.

What do you think his chance of rehabilitation would have been had he had NFL resources to use? Would an NFL team ever gamble on a guy like this to see if he could be rehabilitated?

I've read here that a couple of you heard that the infection was because it was cared for improperly. If that is the case...that really sucks..because Prothro was a really gifted athlete and to not be able to play because someone didn't do their job properly just sucks.

I wish him all the best and I hope whatever infection is there goes away.

I will say that I am glad he is not on the field because that dude is freakin fast! I just wish it wasn't his injury that took him off the field.

Not to take away from his accomplishment on the benchpress, but he has two advantages. One, he's been using his arms a ton rather than his legs and building up his upper body. Also, he's got short arms. I know because I am not that tall of a guy and I in a few monthos of working out got up to 315 at the end of a pyramid which is a max of about 340. Once you start to bulk up, you don't have to brind the bar down as far, and with short arms, you don't have to go up as far. I'm sure without being able to go out and run, he's working out his upper body a lot. I'm sure he'd slim down if he got back to playing again.

I also think it is unlikely he will return. Based on what I've heard about the infection, its likely he has a chronic infection in that bone. Most of the time, your body keeps it in check, but further trauma can reactivate it. He just seemed to gimpy at this years Iron Bowl to be thinking about being back to full form soon.

Man, I'm glad someone besides me realizes that. I have to push that bar a foot and a half...not 6 inches like some guys. :)

:au::homer:

I would hope that $aban doesn't pull Prothro's scholarship. If he does, I think you'll see a lot of SPUAT fans getting pissed off by that. And Auburn, pretty much fans all over the place. Surely, $aban is smarter than that.

I thought that if you were injured on the field you were kept on a medical scholarship. It didn't count against the team scholarship totals but you still had your free ride to school. The downside was once you went on the medical scholarship you lost all your eligibility.

Am I mistaken in this? Also does anybody know if he had one of those insurance policies that would pay him if suffered a career ending injury?

What I really don't understand is why they took him for a prolonged stay at the hospital in T-town when you have one of the best sports medicine facilities in the world up the road in Healthsouth or to UAB. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

What I really don't understand is why they took him for a prolonged stay at the hospital in T-town when you have one of the best sports medicine facilities in the world up the road in Healthsouth or to UAB. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

I've heard he was in too much pain initially, that's why he ended up in Tuscaloosa.

I've read here that a couple of you heard that the infection was because it was cared for improperly. If that is the case...that really sucks..because Prothro was a really gifted athlete and to not be able to play because someone didn't do their job properly just sucks.

I will say that I am glad he is not on the field because that dude is freakin fast! I just wish it wasn't his injury that took him off the field.

I'm not sure if it was a improper care issue. As for where he was treated, I don't think thats that big of a deal. The American sports institute (ASI) with Dr. Andrews is affiliated with Auburn. Surgeons work out contracts to do a schools sports medicine programs. There are capable surgeons that do Alabama's work, probably just don't have the prestige that Dr. Andrews does.

In this case, I think it would probably have been better handled by a trauma orthopedic surgeon rather than sports medicine because it sounds like his fracture was something more like you would see in a fall or a impact in a car accident. The sports guy knows how to do it, but he repairs knees and shoulder ligamentous injuries all day and not putting together shattered bones.

To imagine what putting this together was like, imagine shattering a broomstick and then trying to put it back together with plates and screws. It ain't easy. THe infection, which is common and something to be expected in an open fracture just complicated the issue and forced the removal of metal hardware and probably required an external fixator. If someone figured out a foolproof way to treat open lower leg fractures he would be a famous man in the orthopedics world. Its not an easy problem to fix. Wounds on the leg don't heal well at all compared to the rest of the body.

I would hope that $aban doesn't pull Prothro's scholarship. If he does, I think you'll see a lot of SPUAT fans getting pissed off by that. And Auburn, pretty much fans all over the place. Surely, $aban is smarter than that.

Why in the world would you keep a guy who cant walk on athletic scholarship when you could put him on medical hardship?

Why in the world would you keep a guy who cant walk on athletic scholarship when you could put him on medical hardship?

I agree but I don't think many of us know what's really available to these kids in a situation like this. Probably assuming, like me, that a coach could yank a scholly and that's it.

I agree with you BG, but where were you when I brought this up over a month ago......

so is protho's injury the new probation?

yeah, that was just a little low.....

I agree with you.

In the same breath, I still can't belief he dressed out for the iron bowl in a walking cast and to get the crowd pumped up. I think it could have just have easily been done with him in a jersey without pads and a helmet. I feel bad for the guy, i really do, but he shouldn't be used as a propaganda prop. Let him rehab and don't put out a false hope dressing him up like a football player when he's got many large steps to make before even running, much less taking hits.

I agree with you.

In the same breath, I still can't belief he dressed out for the iron bowl in a walking cast and to get the crowd pumped up. I think it could have just have easily been done with him in a jersey without pads and a helmet. I feel bad for the guy, i really do, but he shouldn't be used as a propaganda prop. Let him rehab and don't put out a false hope dressing him up like a football player when he's got many large steps to make before even running, much less taking hits.

i highly doubt it was seen by him as a propaganda prop. we had this discussion like a month or so ago on here. if i had a career ending injury like he did (i also don't believe he will ever play again) running that ball out on the field in full uniform would feel like to me about the only sense of normal i had had since the accident. i think alot of people feel that way too.

why? i said nothing ill of prothro.

I'm not sure if it was a improper care issue. As for where he was treated, I don't think thats that big of a deal. The American sports institute (ASI) with Dr. Andrews is affiliated with Auburn. Surgeons work out contracts to do a schools sports medicine programs. There are capable surgeons that do Alabama's work, probably just don't have the prestige that Dr. Andrews does.

In this case, I think it would probably have been better handled by a trauma orthopedic surgeon rather than sports medicine because it sounds like his fracture was something more like you would see in a fall or a impact in a car accident. The sports guy knows how to do it, but he repairs knees and shoulder ligamentous injuries all day and not putting together shattered bones.

To imagine what putting this together was like, imagine shattering a broomstick and then trying to put it back together with plates and screws. It ain't easy. THe infection, which is common and something to be expected in an open fracture just complicated the issue and forced the removal of metal hardware and probably required an external fixator. If someone figured out a foolproof way to treat open lower leg fractures he would be a famous man in the orthopedics world. Its not an easy problem to fix. Wounds on the leg don't heal well at all compared to the rest of the body.

Actually, they are pretty upset about the doctor who handled Pro's sugery. He also did AC Carter's "work". And I could name 5 others that he worked on who never played again.

Actually, they are pretty upset about the doctor who handled Pro's sugery. He also did AC Carter's "work". And I could name 5 others that he worked on who never played again.

Then why doesn't Alabama get out of the contract with him. Shouldn't all the surgeon's be crawling across broken glass to do Alabama's sports medicine.? After all, it is THE university as people remind me.

Auburn has plenty of guys that had career ending injuries. I wouldn't blame all that on the surgeon. They are doctors, not miracle workers. There is a broke beyond fixing.

Archived