Is it realistic to expect privacy as a uat coach?

quietfan

Okay, another take on Saban's contract, but not about salary or buyouts:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=222755

...more important, Saban made sure to protect himself from the onslaught of off-field issues he must deal with.

Under terms of the deal, Saban does not have to speak or appear at more than 15 engagements unrelated to endorsements, such as alumni and booster clubs. The more Saban is insulated from the nonsense, the better chance Alabama has of keeping him around for more than a few years.

When I was working on the Alabama story a few months ago and speaking to former Tide coaches, anecdotes of intrusion were overwhelming. Not just from one coach -- from all of them. Many that never reached the magazine:

Just this spring, Dennis Franchione and some of his staff took a vacation to Las Vegas as a primer before the start of spring practice. Remember now: He's five years removed from the Capstone.

"I'm sitting a slot machine with (my wife) Kim, and a few Alabama fans just come up and start taking pictures," Fran says. "They wanted an autograph, they wanted a picture. I guess I'm not hated by all of them."

Mike Price went into the job thinking he'd beat the system. There are few coaches in the nation as genuine and gregarious. He wanted to be in the middle of it all. Yet even he was surprised by the enormity.

"I was going there to be part of that thing. That's what lured me there, to be what they wanted you to be," Price says. "So I'm walking in the mall the first week or so we're there. You know, my wife is buying some things and I'm just hanging around. Well, soon enough, you hear it through the mall. 'I saw Coach in this store, I saw coach in that store.' Next thing you know, the little store for ladies is overrun by fans. You have to understand, for those people, you are their coach. You are there for them -- they aren't there for you."

Other tidbits:

Gene Stallings: "Some people like to say they give a lot of money and that they're big boosters. As far as what they give the university, you never know. But no matter how much you give at Alabama, you feel like you should have your say. You feel like the coach should come to your barbecue. And you let those in charge at Alabama know about it."

DuBose: "Right, wrong or indifferent; for too many people there, football is their God. They try to put that person and that player in that elevated position. It takes a strong person with some balance and stability to keep things in proper perspective. It won't be as hard on Nick as it will be on his family. That's the difficult part. That's the part that keeps pouring on you."

This is the secret Achilles' Heel in the Saban fantasy, IMO. How long can a honeymoon last between the most obsessed fans & boosters in college football and a coach that doesn't like the public? I just don't buy the whole "as long as he wins the fans will understand" theory (even assuming he wins <_< ).

Probably sooner than later, Saban is going to ignore one too many fans at the Mall, or tick off a big money booster expecting some serious face time with Nick because of his donation. One of the secondary effects of Bear worship is that Bama fans think their coach belongs to them 24/7. If they don't turn on him because of his aloofness, he will turn on them because of the oppressive fan obsession.

i honestly feel that he was hired to coach football. win, lose, or draw. football coaches aren't hired to make commercials for golden flake, coca-cola, or mayfield. they are hired to coach football. they're not hired to kiss everyone's ass and be public celebrities. they're hired to coach football. they're not hired to be at every fan's beckon call. they're hired to coach football. i think folks really are beginning to realize this, and hopefully CNS method will help that thinking along.

I have to agree with runswithscissors.

I get really tired of people acting like Saban's "anti-media" attitude is a bad thing. A once-a-week radio/television appearance during the season is all you need. Also, Tuberville hasn't appealed to my potato chip appetite or inspired me to sport under armor. The only part of Saban's policy that I disagree with is the "stay out of ALL my practices." I think the fans have the right to view Spring practice as a means of getting pumped up for their football team.

i honestly feel that he was hired to coach football. win, lose, or draw. football coaches aren't hired to make commercials for golden flake, coca-cola, or mayfield. they are hired to coach football. they're not hired to kiss everyone's ass and be public celebrities. they're hired to coach football. they're not hired to be at every fan's beckon call. they're hired to coach football. i think folks really are beginning to realize this, and hopefully CNS method will help that thinking along.

Think about this for a moment: a HC writes it into his contract to limit the number of speaking engagements to booster clubs ... ... On the surface, it would appear to the simple-minded that this guy is "focused" and wants to concentrate all his energy on "coaching" only. More bs for the delusionally inclined. Yesterday, the B-ham News had an article on Bobby Bowden's speaking schedule: 25 speeches to 25 different booster clubs in 35 days. Maybe it's just coincidence that Bowden is the most successful Div 1-A coach in the history of college football?

There is a PR aspect to being a Div 1-A football coach that can't be denied. It's part of the job. Nick Saban can contractually run away & hide from it like a French surrender monkey all he wants. Even if all the rubes are in lock step agreement with the CNS "method" (initially,) the PR aspect will still be there.

They sell privacy bricks at the Home Depot in Tuscaloosa...just saying...

It's not so much the hawking of potato chips , CocaCola, or athletic shoes...if he wants to give up that ad revenue for himself or the school, that's one thing. But to think P.R. is not a major duty in a modern SEC coach's job, particularly at a fan-obsessed school like Bama, just isn't realistic.

Public Relations includes stroking the high school coaches so they will feed you leads on recruits; shaking hands and speaking at alumni events so they continue to support your program; keeping the media happy enough to keep your school's name in the news for recruits, donors, and pollsters; making sure those big $$$ boosters keep that money coming even if it does mean you have to take time out of your busy schedule to talk to them one-on-one; not pissing off the fan at the Mall who may actually be a recruit's uncle or become the in-law of a Board member next year; maintaining enough networking contacts to be aware if some booster out there is breaking NCAA regs; presenting a public image that will make recruits' parents trust and respect you; and of course, building allies among the POB to back you during those times (and every coach has them) when you can't win every game and the natives get restless.

Anyone who thinks SEC or Div. 1 football is only about the X's, the O's, the weight room, and the recruiting trail is sadly mistaken. Make no mistake about it, big league NCAA football these days is very much about P.R. and a coach who doesn't do it is ignoring one of the most important duties of his job!

At lunch today, a family friend (and bama bobo honker) was telling about a Saban recruiting trip.

Allegedly, Saban went to meet a recruit at some high school in the state and showed up in a bright orange Miami Dolphins jacket. The Bobo Honker was gushing over how savvy Saban was because he was showing recruits that he knew the way to the NFL and you just can't get there from Auburn.

Aside from the sheer idiocy of the "can't get there from AU" thinking, I don't know what to make of Saban wearing Dolphins gear on recruiting trips -- assuming the story as related to me is true. To me it reeks of either arrogance or ignorance.

At lunch today, a family friend (and bama bobo honker) was telling about a Saban recruiting trip.

Allegedly, Saban went to meet a recruit at some high school in the state and showed up in a bright orange Miami Dolphins jacket. The Bobo Honker was gushing over how savvy Saban was because he was showing recruits that he knew the way to the NFL and you just can't get there from Auburn.

Aside from the sheer idiocy of the "can't get there from AU" thinking, I don't know what to make of Saban wearing Dolphins gear on recruiting trips -- assuming the story as related to me is true. To me it reeks of either arrogance or ignorance.

Auburn players in NFL as of 2006- 37 plus 2007 draft - 42

http://www.auburnfootball.com/auburn-players-in-nfl.htm + http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/school/AUB

Alabama players in NFL as of 2007 - 34

http://ladyinred.net/nflplayers

I hope Saban chokes.

Seriously on a pretzel or hot dog. I hope he chokes.

Isn't Saban in a Dolphins Jacket sort of like wearing a great big orange sign that says "I lied"? I hope he wears it all the time!

Saban knows the way to failure in the NFL and how to bail thereafter. As an NFL hopefully I don't think I'd want his assistance if I were negotiating with Miami--it might work against me.

Isn't Saban in a Dolphins Jacket sort of like wearing a great big orange sign that says "I lied"? I hope he wears it all the time!

Saban knows the way to failure in the NFL and how to bail thereafter. As an NFL hopefully I don't think I'd want his assistance if I were negotiating with Miami--it might work against me.

If there's one thing I know bammers love, it's orange gear.

I hope he continues to wear Dolphins gear. I hope he wears it on the sideline of a game this fall. I would love it for two reasons: 1) he was absolutely horrible as the Dolphins coach and everyone knows it, 2) he lied to everyone in the world about it.

Think about this for a moment: a HC writes it into his contract to limit the number of speaking engagements to booster clubs ... ... On the surface, it would appear to the simple-minded that this guy is "focused" and wants to concentrate all his energy on "coaching" only. More bs for the delusionally inclined. Yesterday, the B-ham News had an article on Bobby Bowden's speaking schedule: 25 speeches to 25 different booster clubs in 35 days. Maybe it's just coincidence that Bowden is the most successful Div 1-A coach in the history of college football?

There is a PR aspect to being a Div 1-A football coach that can't be denied. It's part of the job. Nick Saban can contractually run away & hide from it like a French surrender monkey all he wants. Even if all the rubes are in lock step agreement with the CNS "method" (initially,) the PR aspect will still be there.

I think this cannot be underestimated. I have a friend that played for Bowden back in the late 80's/early 90's that said that Bowden was a good but not great coach, but the thing he will always remember is how he never forgot parents names and their hometown. He said he forgot players names all the time, but he'd remember the parents and he never forgot to speak to parents when they would be around. I think this lends credence to some of his recruiting success. HS coaches, friends, college coaches can all say what they want, but when it comes down to it its really what mom and dad say that decides where a kid will play.

So yes, you have to play the PR game to also be successful on the field.

I also think there's another element. I think the media in La was more forgiving and the media certainly steers public perception. I think their lack of success made them tolerate Saban. I'm also not sure that he hasn't gotten worse as well since he may feel his NC has given him some credibility when it comes to his tyrannical beliefs.

I think this cannot be underestimated. I have a friend that played for Bowden back in the late 80's/early 90's that said that Bowden was a good but not great coach, but the thing he will always remember is how he never forgot parents names and their hometown. He said he forgot players names all the time, but he'd remember the parents and he never forgot to speak to parents when they would be around. I think this lends credence to some of his recruiting success. HS coaches, friends, college coaches can all say what they want, but when it comes down to it its really what mom and dad say that decides where a kid will play.

So yes, you have to play the PR game to also be successful on the field.

I also think there's another element. I think the media in La was more forgiving and the media certainly steers public perception. I think their lack of success made them tolerate Saban. I'm also not sure that he hasn't gotten worse as well since he may feel his NC has given him some credibility when it comes to his tyrannical beliefs.

kissing the media's ass and playing well on the field have nothing to do with each other. AUloggerhead seems to be trying to say that Diddy speaking at 25 different places in 35 days has a direct correlation to being a successful coach. its like saying "CTT won the pie eating contest at the county fair; no wonder he's a good coach!!" it makes no sense. the bottom line is if he wants to make a bunch of speeches, fine. if he doesn't, fine. thats his choice. i would much rather him work on rebuilding the program than shoot a commercial for golden flake. the media demands that there be a PR aspect to the job, because without that they have nothing to write. i doubt you could find many among our fanbase who cares if he speaks at 1 booster event. why does it have to be a big deal? what does it matter? its his money, his life. he doesn't have to go giving a million speeches to prove he's successful. that statement is made on the field, not in some press room.

Judging from the number of times we've all seen Saban's only grey suit...maybe he didn't have any other jackets. :)

The PR aspect of a head coaches job, especially in the SEC, is a must. You can spin it any way you want but you let Saban lose a game and then tell the media and the world to go F themselves, and that honeymoon will be over in a heartbeat. I see too many people who have defended this guy's every move. It's fine to say NOW, that we just hired this guy to coach football and as long as he wins....

Well, this is the SEC. No one can be close to perfect and Bama will lose some games this year. If CNS is limiting access by the media, which ultimately translates to information for his fan base, this arrangement won't last very long at all. We're all on the information superhighway and we know about a hammy pull on a backup DB 15 minutes before practice is over. We're used to getting up-to-the-minute information. CNS demanded the biggest of bucks and Bama obliged. Unless he wins the SEC immediately, Bama fans are going to run out of excuses for this guy real quick.

The PR aspect of a head coaches job, especially in the SEC, is a must. You can spin it any way you want but you let Saban lose a game and then tell the media and the world to go F themselves, and that honeymoon will be over in a heartbeat. I see too many people who have defended this guy's every move. It's fine to say NOW, that we just hired this guy to coach football and as long as he wins....

Well, this is the SEC. No one can be close to perfect and Bama will lose some games this year. If CNS is limiting access by the media, which ultimately translates to information for his fan base, this arrangement won't last very long at all. We're all on the information superhighway and we know about a hammy pull on a backup DB 15 minutes before practice is over. We're used to getting up-to-the-minute information. CNS demanded the biggest of bucks and Bama obliged. Unless he wins the SEC immediately, Bama fans are going to run out of excuses for this guy real quick.

it doesn't matter if he wins 100 or loses 100. even if he lost every game next season, he doesn't owe the media anything. i hate to tell you, but there never was a honeymoon between CNS and the media since he came here. it doesn't matter. the only reason there is a perception that the job must have a PR aspect to the media is because the media puts it there. it doesn't matter if its CNS, CTT, CMR, CPF, anybody. their job is not to be a celebrity. their job is not to go shoot commercials, or stick their head up some reporter's rear. it is to coach football. somewhere along the line, that philosophy has been skewed. when we lose, we don't need the coach to stand up there and say "look, this is why we lost". most folks can figure that out on their own; the opponent scored more points. the opponent outplayed us, etc. even if he never won an SEC title, my position stands for him and all coaches; being a celebrity is not their job.

go. coach. football.

Sorry, but I disagree with most of that take. First, I know there was never a honeymoon with CNS and the media. It's the fans I'm referring to. I truly believe that if things start going south and Saban blows off the media and the fans and the program paying 9 gazillion bucks/year, that's the honeymoon that will come to an end.

Things may have gotten skewed, but that happened long ago. That's the way things are. A coach does have the responsibility of pacifying the fans and media to a certain extent. Whether CNS does that or not remains to be seen. A coach does have the responsibility of doing commercials, appearances etc. That's been going on all the way back to Shug and Bear.

Granted, he can technically say, it ain't in my contract and not do any of it. And I'm sure he'll cooperate to a certain degree. But, my point is that unless he wins big and wins big right away, the fans will turn on this guy quickly if he takes a hard line on the PR front.

First of all, there is NO restriction in $aban's contract about doing any endorsements. He can hawk any and as much soda, snack foods, cars, lumber or whatever that he cares to do. This makes perfect financial sense to the Team $aban household -- afterall, he'll be getting PAID everytime one of his endorsements runs a commercial.

The restriction is about having to talk to booster clubs & alumni groups. Limiting the number of these meaningless gratis events for him will maximize his earning potential as HC. He'll have much more time to devote to more value-added endorsements. This also makes perfect financial sense to the Team $aban household. Off-season time can be spent more productive making commercials rather than making the rounds at the booster clubs. One can only eat so much baked chicken, you know.

The one thing I was surprised to NOT see in his contract was a limitation on the times/locations where he'll be required to say out loud, "roll tide." Maybe that's for the first renegotiated contract?

First of all, there is NO restriction in $aban's contract about doing any endorsements. He can hawk any and as much soda, snack foods, cars, lumber or whatever that he cares to do. This makes perfect financial sense to the Team $aban household -- afterall, he'll be getting PAID everytime one of his endorsements runs a commercial.

The restriction is about having to talk to booster clubs & alumni groups. Limiting the number of these meaningless gratis events for him will maximize his earning potential as HC. He'll have much more time to devote to more value-added endorsements. This also makes perfect financial sense to the Team $aban household. Off-season time can be spent more productive making commercials rather than making the rounds at the booster clubs. One can only eat so much baked chicken, you know.

The one thing I was surprised to NOT see in his contract was a limitation on the times/locations where he'll be required to say out loud, "roll tide." Maybe that's for the first renegotiated contract?

I may be naive, but I think that Coach Saban will go to club meetings and gatherings if the University tells him that it is important. I just think that he wants to be able to make the decision, and not be obligated.

I just really don't think that he wants to do the commercials, and I don't mind that at all. Aren't they always a little cheezy anyway? I have not seen a coach yet that did not look stupid doing these commercials. This is the part that adds to their salaries, so if he doesn't want to do them, just don't.

I really don't care if Coach Saban never says "Roll Tide". That is the job for the fans. We can say "Roll Tide" as much as we want, and he doesn't have to say it. I think that this is something that comes when the school means something to you. Let's face it. Right now Bama is just a job to him. I hope this changes, and he embraces us like we are trying to embrace him, and then and only then would "Roll Tide" sound natural. Otherwise I had just as soon he didn't say it if it sounds forced or only because the press pushes him to say it.

Just winning is not all that matters at UA. You are the most needy fan base in college football. See every national article written about you guys.

Snubbing the local companies will come back and haunt Sabahr. The whole Sabahr situation reminds most long time UA fans to the beginning of the Perkins regime, not Bahr's. And with all the REC's and various other Bama booster clubs he’ll burn up his mandatory 15 appearances in one month, then what's going to happen?

I still think you guys would have been better off hiring Jim Leavitt, but you guys won't admit that for another 2 years.

Just winning is not all that matters at UA. You are the most needy fan base in college football. See every national article written about you guys.

Snubbing the local companies will come back and haunt Sabahr. The whole Sabahr situation reminds most long time UA fans to the beginning of the Perkins regime, not Bahr's. And with all the REC's and various other Bama booster clubs he’ll burn up his mandatory 15 appearances in one month, then what's going to happen?

I still think you guys would have been better off hiring Jim Leavitt, but you guys won't admit that for another 2 years.

you guys wanted us to keep CMS for that matter (for obvious reasons), so i don't think an AU fan's coaching suggestion should be taken with too much merit :)

you guys wanted us to keep CMS for that matter (for obvious reasons), so i don't think an AU fan's coaching suggestion should be taken with too much merit :)

I think we were the first to call him a fraud as well.

He's not a personable guy. Those ads would have been soooooo fake and cheesy it's not even funny.

Everybody tries to move up with every job they take -- whether it be in the real world or in the world of college football. OK State to LSU is step up. Ole Miss to Auburn is a step up. Utah to Florida is a step up. Just because Jim Leavitt hasn't taken that step, yet, doesn't mean he doesn't want to.

We needed a coach that would practically kill our players. Thankfully, that's just about what he's done. FWIW, I've heard some horror stories about what's going on in Tuscaloosa... at his camp for 9-14 year old boys. I kid you not.

He's not a personable guy. Those ads would have been soooooo fake and cheesy it's not even funny.

Have you ever seen a coaches commercial that wasn't cheesy or fake? It's just another example of him thinking he's better than everyone else. I'm going to quit referring to him as Sabahr and start calling him SaPerk because that's who he acts like. Ask any old timer about Perkins and I would bet over 50% would see some scary similarities between him and SaPerk.

When he was with the Bucs he switched sidelines and put his team on the East side facing the sun to toughen them up. Sound familiar?

Archived