Way to go, Bama

Tiger in Spain

Thanks a lot. 2 squeaker "wins" by the tahd, and 1 butt raping at the hands of the Warriors and they are thinking schools are afraid of them.

Hawaii's weak schedule is not its fault

So this is what it has come to. Not only does Hawaii have to beg teams to play in paradise, it has to sweeten the deal with three-quarters of a million dollars.

And still no takers.

"Teams don't want to make the trip anymore," says Hawaii coach June Jones. "They come here, we kick their ass, they go home."

That's not bravado, folks. That's fact. In the past five seasons, Jones' teams have beaten Michigan State, Alabama, Purdue and Arizona State -- an impressive BCS foursome. No wonder no one wanted in when the Warriors were looking for a game to complete this fall's schedule.

No wonder Michigan State tried for a year to get out of a game -- the same one Hawaii now can't replace -- before finally paying $250,000 to do so. No wonder when Florida -- big, bad Florida -- agreed to play the Warriors in Gainesville for the 2008 season opener, there was no offer to return a home game to Hawaii.

Remember all these things when you're whining about Hawaii's cupcake schedule later this year. When the Warriors' unbeaten regular season includes wins over I-AA Northern Colorado and Charleston Southern. When snooty major conference teams are politicking for a spot in a BCS game ahead of Hawaii because, really, who did the Warriors play?

Hawaii's administration officially called it quits last month. No more begging, no more pleading, no more $750,000 guaranteed payout offers. One BCS athletic director told me it costs "no more than $350,000" for a team to travel to Hawaii and play. You do the math. A BCS school could have walked away with $400,000 of cold, hard profit -- for a road game.

Jones wouldn't get into specifics but did say "a couple" of Pac-10 teams were recently offered the $750,000 -- and national television coverage -- and declined. So the team with a record-setting quarterback and Heisman Trophy candidate (Colt Brennan), the program that will have 11 players from last year's 11-win team in NFL camps this summer, was reduced to landing a BCS team desperate for any television exposure (Washington) and two I-AA teams to reach the minimum 12 games.

The NCAA allows Hawaii to play 13 games and allows mainland teams an exempt game for playing at Hawaii. The Michigan State game was the 13th game, and now Hawaii has only one BCS opponent, which isn't enough to legitimize its schedule.

Because, heaven knows, non-BCS schools better load up with games against BCS schools if they want to be considered in an opinion-driven poll system.

You can have all the concocted and convoluted theories about why the little guy can't play with the big guy, but Hawaii, Boise State and Utah, among others, are proving that the little guys can. Plus, the non-BCS schools (Boise State, Utah) that have played in BCS bowls are 2-0.

Certainly the big guys are beginning to take the little guys more seriously. Which brings us back to Jones' original statement: No team wants to come to paradise to get its ass kicked.

Fair enough.

Hula-bula-luku-laki

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot. 2 squeaker "wins" by the tahd, and 1 butt raping at the hands of the Warriors and they are thinking schools are afraid of them.

"Teams don't want to make the trip anymore," says Hawaii coach June Jones. "They come here, we kick their ass, they go home."

That's not bravado, folks. That's fact. In the past five seasons, Jones' teams have beaten Michigan State, Alabama, Purdue and Arizona State -- an impressive BCS foursome. No wonder no one wanted in when the Warriors were looking for a game to complete this fall's schedule.

Hula-bula-luku-laki

As I recall, UA when forbidden by the NCAA to play in a bowl game lined up a couple of road trips to Hawaii and barely won in 2002 and the next year 2003 got their rear ends handed to them. So much for easing the pain of no bowl game.

This has more to do with travel then anyone being scared of Hawaii. Think about the travel to Hawaii for anyone other then a west coast team. Then you need to come back and get ready for the next week and hope you scheduled a cupcake just to make it through the week. Every week in the SEC (or a BCS conference) is a playoff so you need to be on top of your game not practicing with jet lag.

Hawaii is nice but not that nice. Welcome to the money making machine football has become. I am sure schools will be glad to schedule Hawaii at home or maybe even a neutral site.

After dealing with Hawaii fans, I can tell you, they have an attitude problem.

Their team plays dirtier than ANY in the SEC. And they have a HORRIBLE reputation of straight up jobbing teams that trip there.

No one wants to play there because the refs absolutely SCREW outside teams. Just ask Wisconsin and Northwestern.

I've never seen a team play dirtier than Hawaii. Ever.

Hula-bula-luku-laki

As I recall, UA when forbidden by the NCAA to play in a bowl game lined up a couple of road trips to Hawaii and barely won in 2002 and the next year 2003 got their rear ends handed to them. So much for easing the pain of no bowl game.

in 03 we completely sucked. first year under CMS, we were 4-9. pretty much everyone handed our rear ends to us that season.

Their team plays dirtier than ANY in the SEC. And they have a HORRIBLE reputation of straight up jobbing teams that trip there.

No one wants to play there because the refs absolutely SCREW outside teams. Just ask Wisconsin and Northwestern.

Interesting! I have never heard that before. What did they do?

Guest Tigrinum Major

Interesting! I have never heard that before. What did they do?

They did not prostrate themselves before the mighty Alabama linemen.

Humm...if I remember correctly, it was an SEC crew that traveled to HI in 03. And as far as UW and NW getting screwed, the Big 10 has it's own definition of 'holding' and a Big 10 crew would have to call 5 seasons of Big 10 conference games to see as many attempts as one UH game.

"Aloha Bama, I'm headed to Toomer's Corner"......Priceless

Humm...if I remember correctly, it was an SEC crew that traveled to HI in 03. And as far as UW and NW getting screwed, the Big 10 has it's own definition of 'holding' and a Big 10 crew would have to call 5 seasons of Big 10 conference games to see as many attempts as one UH game.

You remember incorrectly. And honestly, we got some bad calls in that game, but it was NOTHING compared to some schools in the recent past.

And I don't appreciate the fact that they think it is HONORABLE to play dirty. I don't appreciate the fact that they are completely disrespectful to other schools when they travel to another school...do their little warrior hula dance on the center logo...and finish it with a big "huah" and they all shoot the bird to the opposing players.

poor old bama. Got in so much trouble they had to go throw themselves at the mercy of those ruthless tribesmen.

You remember incorrectly. And honestly, we got some bad calls in that game, but it was NOTHING compared to some schools in the recent past.

And I don't appreciate the fact that they think it is HONORABLE to play dirty. I don't appreciate the fact that they are completely disrespectful to other schools when they travel to another school...do their little warrior hula dance on the center logo...and finish it with a big "huah" and they all shoot the bird to the opposing players.

What's your definition of 'dirty'? Does the actions of the cheerleader warrior before the game count as 'dirty'?

Guest Tigrinum Major

It's not a hula dance. It is a war dance similiar to ones performed by Maori and Samoas. Whether or not the finger is an intergral part of that, I don't know.

If you team did it, it would be taking no **** off of anyone. But because it was done in your face, it's classless. Remind you of another eternal debate?

Actually, my experience with Hawaii fans was really pleasant.

I hope they do well.

Really????? bg says they have an attitude. I'll take your word over bg's any day of the week. They seem like some good folks enjoying some football when they show the crowds. Plus bg has this habit of saying things that he wants to be true as though they are true. I think it makes him feel better about himself. Makes him feel like he's "right" all the time.

I hope they do well.

I was truly asking. All contact that I have had with their program had been very positive so i was curious what had BG's pantie's all twisted up about them.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I hope they do well.

I was truly asking. All contact that I have had with their program had been very positive so i was curious what had BG's pantie's all twisted up about them.

A couple of Maori tribesmen gave him a turkey.

BG does have a legit complaint, the Warrior did in fact lay the smack down on Big Al.

Have bammers resorted to making excuses for the cheerleaders as well as the football team?

CNN

University mascot criticized for sideline antics

Monday, January 12, 2004 Posted: 3:55 AM EST (0855 GMT)

HONOLULU, Hawaii (AP) -- The University of Hawaii's sports opponents and even school officials think the university's Polynesian warrior mascot has gotten too, well, warlike.

Vili the Warrior, played by Vili Fehoko, is being criticized for overly boisterous antics including taunting opposing players and throwing a bracelet at a cheerleader.

In a November football game against the University of Alabama, the 6-foot-tall, 290-pound Vili tossed and made a wrestling-style jump on the school's mascot, an elephant called Big Al played by a student weighing a not-so-big 165 pounds.

"I think Vili took it too far," said Debbie Greenwell, coordinator of Alabama's cheerleading squad. "He really could have hurt our mascot."

Fehoko, a former Polynesian Cultural Center dancer who has played the school's drum-pounding mascot for four seasons, brushes off the complaints. He said he and Big Al had discussed the wrestling stunt ahead of time, although Greenwell disputes that.

"If you understand sports, people understand that," said Fehoko, 38. "That's part of the game. It's all about entertainment. I'm not going to change what I do."

Fehoko certainly has his fans. He's often spotlighted during game telecasts, has appeared in newspaper and television ads and is sought for pictures with fans, opposing coaches and cheerleaders -- even referees.

But Vili's antics have university officials saying they may change the mascot program. He most recently was criticized after the Warriors' triple-overtime victory over the University of Houston in the December 25 Hawaii Bowl, which ended in on-field brawl marked by Vili's sideline taunting.

"We hear our fans loud and clear," said Tom Sadler, associate athletics director at the university. "We don't condone that type of behavior. We're going to address it."

Asked whether a revamped mascot program would include Fehoko, Sadler said, "We're keeping all our options open."

Most university mascots are students, but Fehoko is paid $400 for each athletic event he performs at, according to his contract.

Sadler said he met with Fehoko to set general behavior guidelines after the incident with the bracelet, which was captured on home video and shown on a local newscast. Sadler said several dozen people have lodged complaints with the school.

But, Kevin Eiker, a fan of the school's football team, is still a fan of Vili.

"He keeps everyone motivated. He keeps their spirits up," Eiker said.

I like UH more and more

art1a.jpg

link

Some fans blasted what they called his crude or distasteful gestures, such as the time he grabbed the trunk of the University of Alabama's elephant mascot, stuck the trunk near Fehoko's rear end and started trotting away, dragging the elephant for a few seconds.

But at the Nov. 29 home game against Alabama, not only did Fehoko grab the trunk of Big Al, the Crimson Tide's elephant mascot, he picked up Big Al and flung him in the air several yards, according to witnesses. Minutes later, while the elephant mascot was on the ground after going through a playful routine with Fehoko, the warrior did a wrestling-like jump, landing squarely on Big Al, the witnesses said.

Ahhhh the off season. Only in July would you find an argument about Hawaii on a football message board. :)

It's not a hula dance. It is a war dance similiar to ones performed by Maori and Samoas. Whether or not the finger is an intergral part of that, I don't know.

If you team did it, it would be taking no **** off of anyone. But because it was done in your face, it's classless. Remind you of another eternal debate?

Oh no, I had no problem with the dance. I was on their forums for a month leading up to the game, and was excited to see it. But after they ALL finished with shooting everyone the bird, I felt it was a little distasteful. Maybe that makes me a whiner, but if they did it to you, you would say the same thing.

And no, I don't think they are dirty just because of what their 40 year old cheerleader did. It's their whole attitude. It's the most personal fouls in a game I've ever seen...it's the CONSTANT late hits. It's them playing with this "as long as its in the name of being a 'warrior' it is ok to play like a punk".

I hope we never ever ever play them again. Their fans were pleasant, for the most part. But their team plays like a bunch of thugs.

I'd rather play Miami.

Oh no, I had no problem with the dance. I was on their forums for a month leading up to the game, and was excited to see it. But after they ALL finished with shooting everyone the bird, I felt it was a little distasteful. Maybe that makes me a whiner, but if they did it to you, you would say the same thing.

And no, I don't think they are dirty just because of what their 40 year old cheerleader did. It's their whole attitude. It's the most personal fouls in a game I've ever seen...it's the CONSTANT late hits. It's them playing with this "as long as its in the name of being a 'warrior' it is ok to play like a punk".

I hope we never ever ever play them again. Their fans were pleasant, for the most part. But their team plays like a bunch of thugs.

I'd rather play Miami.

I guess I just missed all ya'll talking about it after the game. I thought june jones ran a pretty classy program from all I knew of him. maybe not.

This has more to do with travel then anyone being scared of Hawaii. Think about the travel to Hawaii for anyone other then a west coast team. Then you need to come back and get ready for the next week and hope you scheduled a cupcake just to make it through the week. Every week in the SEC (or a BCS conference) is a playoff so you need to be on top of your game not practicing with jet lag.

Hawaii is nice but not that nice. Welcome to the money making machine football has become. I am sure schools will be glad to schedule Hawaii at home or maybe even a neutral site.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I hope they do well.

My ex-girlfriend and her family went to the 2002 game and she also had a pleasant experience with Hawaii fans.

I didn't know it bothered some of them so much or I wouldn't have posted this

beatdown.jpg

Ahhhh, the Beatdown pic that launched a season long craze!

I hope they do well.

UH fans are some of the coolest fans in the country. Wish we could say the same about bammers.

Archived