Update on Foley's Julio Jones

quietfan

Pretty long article:

http://www.al.com/sports/press-register/in...&thispage=1

When it comes to his recruitment, predictably, Jones doesn't have much to say. He's heard the rumors that he's a heavy lean to Alabama, and a Press-Register poll of five regional and national recruiting analysts produced a unanimous opinion that Jones will sign with the Crimson Tide in February. But Jones insists he doesn't have a favorite yet.

"I'm wide open to anybody right now," Jones said. "Any way you go, you have good coaching staffs. Everybody I've talked to has been real good guys."

Pressed to name some coaches or programs that have impressed him in the recruiting process, Jones responded: "Everybody in the SEC. Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma, USC, Arkansas, Florida, Florida State, everybody."

Jones provided some extra hope for Alabama fans last weekend when he took an unofficial visit to the campus in Tuscaloosa, spending time with several current Crimson Tide players.

"It was all right," Jones said. "You can't just look at the partying and stuff. You have to look at the classroom. When I take my official visits, I might want to go in the classroom and spend like a day in there and see what the atmosphere is like in the classroom."

Jones has spent his entire life in the state of Alabama, but he said he was more of an NFL fan than a college fan during his formative years. Specifically, he idolized former Detroit Lions star running back Barry Sanders, so Tide fans hoping that childhood ties will give Saban an advantage might be disappointed.

"Alabama's done a great job recruiting him," Watson said. "They're really working it. I think growing up, he was an Alabama fan, so people think that means he's going to Alabama, and I don't think that's necessarily the case. He has been to some games there and been on campus there a couple of times. I think he's still wide open. I believe what he tells me, and he tells me he's still looking for the best fit."

Jones will be at home on the first weekend of the college football season since Foley opens on Saturday, Sept. 1 against Murphy at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. One week later, Jones is planning to travel to Oklahoma to see the Sooners face Miami.

"I'm going to try to go to as many games as possible," Jones said. "I'm going to try to go everywhere, just to see what it's like."

The intense travel, the barrage of calls and the extra demands of being a highly coveted recruit won't affect Jones negatively, he said. Instead, he plans to embrace it, noting that if he weren't at the top of the Press-Register's Super Southeast 120, he would be shooting for the guy who was.

"It makes me work harder," Jones said. "If I weren't up there and somebody else was up there, I would be trying to work harder to get up there. I know a lot of people are working hard trying to shut me down and be better than me, so that makes me work harder."

I'll still be surprized if he doesn't end up in Tuscaloosa, but he sounds like an intelligent young man with a good head on his sholders.

I'll still be surprized if he doesn't end up in Tuscaloosa, but he sounds like an intelligent young man with a good head on his sholders.

Those two concepts are mutually exclusive.

I wonder sometimes if the guys who are dead-solid locks for one school or another (for one reason or another) aren't encouraged to talk as if they're looking around so as to make the recruiting "victory" bigger for the eventual selection.

Those two concepts are mutually exclusive.

I wonder sometimes if the guys who are dead-solid locks for one school or another (for one reason or another) aren't encouraged to talk as if they're looking around so as to make the recruiting "victory" bigger for the eventual selection.

Possibly. Plus, if they're really confident he's coming their way, it never hurts to make your rivals waste recruiting time and visits on someone you know they won't get. Takes time away from other prospects they could have been pursuing instead.

I'd be willing to bet Auburn's pulled that one a time or two themselves.

He has been to some games there and been on campus there a couple of times.

He's already got more time on campus than most of their fans.

in case anyone hasn't seen him in action, ESPN2 will be televising the Foley/Daphne game on ESPN2 and ESPNU and i think a few others October 4th 8PM CST. if this game is half the game it was last year, it will still be one hell of a game. i am going to try and get off work to attend.

i've met him quite a few times, and i know some kids that have played with him. i wouldn't look for any hat games from him come signing day. like you said, he is very level headed which sort of surprised me. he says he just likes to go out there and be in his own little world and do his job. regardless of what school he may choose, he's still a great kid and i know he will do well with the attitude that he has.

For those who have seen this kid play, who would you compare him to?

perhaps a young Randy Moss without all of the legal problems. the kid has got some moves, thats for sure.

perhaps a young Randy Moss without all of the legal problems. the kid has got some moves, thats for sure.

Not a very good comparison IMO.

Moss was/is faster, thinner, and had/has less ability with the ball in his hands. He's mostly served his career as a freakish deep threat who you'd just lob the ball to deep down the field. Jones doesn't possess that type of long ball ability and speed (and likely never will) but he's a lot stronger and can hurt you a LOT more with the ball in his hands.

Not a very good comparison IMO.

Moss was/is faster, thinner, and had/has less ability with the ball in his hands. He's mostly served his career as a freakish deep threat who you'd just lob the ball to deep down the field. Jones doesn't possess that type of long ball ability and speed (and likely never will) but he's a lot stronger and can hurt you a LOT more with the ball in his hands.

you're probably right. he doesn't have that deep threat capability, he needs to work on his route running.

Archived