Rally appeals for execution stay

MDM4AU

I chose the political forum since the death penalty is a hot button and recently was broaght up in another thread.

Discuss...

Rally appeals for execution stay

Activist groups seek DNA testing for Grayson

Thursday, July 26, 2007

STAN DIEL

News staff writer [/b]

MONTGOMERY - Representatives of a half-dozen activist organizations including the NAACP and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference on Wednesday launched an 11th-hour appeal to Gov. Bob Riley to stay the execution of Death Row inmate Darrell Grayson.

Supporters rallied on the Capitol steps, arguing that Grayson could be cleared by DNA tests not available at the time of his 1981 trial. He is scheduled to be executed by lethal injection at 6 p.m. today.

Esther Brown, executive director of Project Hope to Abolish the Death Penalty, said Grayson, who is black, was pressured into a confession by white police officers, tried by a court that provided only $500 to be spent on his defense, and convicted by an all-white jury.

"What he got was Alabama justice," Brown said, standing just below the spot on the Capitol steps where Jefferson Davis was sworn in as president of the Confederacy in 1861.

Grayson confessed to the Christmas Eve 1980 killing of 86-year-old Montevallo resident Annie Laura Orr, and testified at his trial that he and an accomplice raped and beat the woman. Orr died of her injuries from the beating, and police found Grayson in the bushes near the crime scene with blood on his shirt and with her wedding rings in his wallet.

At his trial and in confessions to police, Grayson and accomplice Victor Kennedy, who was executed in 1999, recounted details of the rape and beating. But Grayson now says he has no memory of the crime because he was drunk, and activists argue that DNA testing could establish with certainty his guilt or innocence.

"The governor has a moral duty to have DNA testing conducted in this case," said Peter Neufeld, co-founder of the Innocence Project, a nonprofit organization that represents Death Row inmates. If DNA from someone other than Grayson or Kennedy were identified, it could undermine the case against Grayson, the organization has said.

Alabama is one of just eight states that don't require post-conviction DNA tests when evidence is available, Neufeld said. "The governor should want to get to the truth," he said.

In a prepared statement released Wednesday afternoon, the governor's office said Riley does not have the authority to stay an execution, only to commute a sentence, and that a decision would be made "before the execution is carried out."

"He considers this one of the most serious responsibilities he has as governor," the statement said.

But in a letter faxed to Riley's deputy legal adviser late Wednesday, Innocence Project lawyers said the Alabama Constitution states the governor has the authority to grant "reprieves and commutations."

"We respectfully submit that there can be no question that the governor has both the legal authority and the moral duty to allow DNA testing to be performed before Mr. Grayson's irreversible execution is carried out," the letter said.

Poetry behind bars:

At the Capitol rally, Grayson's supporters said the man has led an exemplary life behind bars, writing poetry and becoming a leader and mentor for other Death Row inmates.

"He is leaving the world a better place than he found it," said Brown, who said she believes he is innocent.

But even those who said they were unsure about Grayson's guilt said the finality of a death sentence makes the use of DNA evidence a moral imperative.

"Life is a precious thing, and we ought to go not just the extra mile, but the extra inch," said Sen. Hank Sanders, D-Selma.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde....xml&coll=2

I know other people will disagree stridently with me on this, but I think capital punishment is barbaric under all circumstances.

In this case, I would offer that the guy was probably guilty as sin. But I think, at the very least, DNA should be brought in to confirm guilt before he is executed.

Caught red-handed. He should not have been involved in the rape and murder of another individual. FRY HIS ASS!

OR, let him out only to live with Otter and his family.

Nah. FRY HIS ASS!

He is no better than a terrorist to me. Even worse. He attacked one of our citizens. Did I mention we should FRY HIS ASS?

I know other people will disagree stridently with me on this, but I think capital punishment is barbaric under all circumstances.

In this case, I would offer that the guy was probably guilty as sin. But I think, at the very least, DNA should be brought in to confirm guilt before he is executed.

I, on the other hand BELIEVE in the death penalty in certain circumstances (this being one of them).

I also believe the guy is probably guilty as sin as well. And I agree about the DNA test. I can't see why the court would have a problem doing a test. If the test shows he is guilty, he deserves what he gets. Raping and murdering an 86 year old, man that's pretty sick stuff.

Caught red-handed. He should not have been involved in the rape and murder of another individual. FRY HIS ASS!

Nah. FRY HIS ASS!

He is no better than a terrorist to me. Even worse. He attacked one of our citizens. Did I mention we should FRY HIS ASS?

Yeah, but it's not like you're standing on principle or anything. You just like the idea of killing people. Your past posts are evidence enough of that. <_<

Grayson confessed to the Christmas Eve 1980 killing of 86-year-old Montevallo resident Annie Laura Orr, and testified at his trial that he and an accomplice raped and beat the woman. Orr died of her injuries from the beating, and police found Grayson in the bushes near the crime scene with blood on his shirt and with her wedding rings in his wallet.

At his trial and in confessions to police, Grayson and accomplice Victor Kennedy, who was executed in 1999, recounted details of the rape and beating. But Grayson now says he has no memory of the crime because he was drunk, and activists argue that DNA testing could establish with certainty his guilt or innocence.

Poetry behind bars:

At the Capitol rally, Grayson's supporters said the man has led an exemplary life behind bars, writing poetry and becoming a leader and mentor for other Death Row inmates.

"He is leaving the world a better place than he found it," said Brown, who said she believes he is innocent. I say BS he raped and killed an 86 year old woman.

But even those who said they were unsure about Grayson's guilt said the finality of a death sentence makes the use of DNA evidence a moral imperative.

"Life is a precious thing, and we ought to go not just the extra mile, but the extra inch," said Sen. Hank Sanders, D-Selma. Unless you are an 86 year old woman.

It's truly amazing to me that the opponents of the death penalty have such grand and glowing things to say about the murderer in question. But they never take into account the life that was taken. The torture that the 86 year old woman experienced at the hands of this animal is disgusting and he can never write enough poems to make up for it. Maybe the death penalty is barbaric, but for this poet laureate of the left deserves to die.

"He is leaving the world makes it a better place than he found it," said Brown

Fixed that for her.

Good riddance. He lived 26 1/2 years longer and went out more peacefully than he deserved. :hanged: is a more appropriate punishment.

Crimes against the elderly are pretty much on equal footing with those committed against children in my opinion.

Nah. FRY HIS ASS!

Yeah, but it's not like you're standing on principle or anything. You just like the idea of killing people. Your past posts are evidence enough of that. <_<

It's not people like me that you need to worry about. You KNOW where I stand. It's all those folks out there who think like me but do not say it. Today, there are millions of people who feel much better that a scumbag is dead. How much compassion do your anti-capital punishment crowd have for the victims? There are people in this world who really should not be here. Why we as a society continue to allow them to breathe is beyond comprehension. There is NO REHAB for some people.

Just so you know, I agree with you. To me, the only possible justification for taking a human life is self-defense (or equivalently, defense of other innocents) and it's hardly self-defense when you already have the person disarmed under lock & key.

However, I have long ago given up arguing the point with the other side. They are as intractable in their beliefs as I am in mine, so the debate becomes a big waste of time. ...just have to agree to disagree

The governor should have granted a stay and ordered the DNA test to be done. Why would we not use the means we have at our disposal to make sure we're executing the right person?

The governor should have granted a stay and ordered the DNA test to be done. Why would we not use the means we have at our disposal to make sure we're executing the right person?

I feel the same way. I honestly thought it would happen. I guess that's what I get for thinking...

I mean, really what would it have hurt to let him rot in jail a few weeks while we got the tests done? I just don't understand the rush to kill someone.

Archived