Your tax dollars at work

Bottomfeeder

This is the kind of stuff that really ticks me off. Our government is past due for a Ctrl/Alt/Del.

Pentagon Paid $999,798 to Ship Two 19-Cent Washers to Texas

Tony Capaccio

Thu Aug 16, 11:59 AM ET

Aug. 16 (Bloomberg) -- A small South Carolina parts supplier collected about $20.5 million over six years from the Pentagon for fraudulent shipping costs, including $998,798 for sending two 19-cent washers to a Texas base, U.S. officials said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20070816...OpxSMhA7V9h24cA

This stuff happens all the time. The problem is not so much with it happening (there will always be that one guy) as it is with the penalty for doing this. The penalty should be akin to treason, as you are essentially helping destroy your country willingly. Deportation to your choice(free will and all that) of Iraq of Afblanketstan should be mandatory. Instead they get a few years cutting grass in the federal lockup....with all the comforts of home.

While this is an extreme example, it's not all that surprising. It's pretty simple to explain. The people in purchasing don't work in the private sector, so they really have no frame of reference to what things cost. And with such a convoluted bid process, it's almost impossible to find a new vendor in a hurry.

I've been doing DoD work for four years now. The first time I turned in an invoice, the purchasing person called me back up wondering if it was some kind of mistake. As it turned out, the previous vendor was charging 5-6 times more for the same work (and doing really craptacular work as well). I told her I was making plenty of money on the project, thanks. I still do steady, quality work, and don't overbill. But I admit that part of me always wonders how much money I could get away with charging if I were the dishonest sort.

Archived