Les Miles Contract

wareaglebaby

You can bet Les' buddies are taking collections to get his nappy a** to Michigan

BATON ROUGE -- The speculation has begun.

Internet message boards and radio talk shows are broaching the subject of LSU Coach Les Miles as a possible replacement if the Michigan Wolverines pull the plug on Coach Lloyd Carr this year. Carr's No. 5-ranked team lost to Appalachian State, a 1-AA powerhouse, 34-32 at home Saturday.

Michigan dropped out of the Top 25 in this week's rankings

Columnist Jim Carty of the Ann Arbor News pointed out that a change in Carr's contract makes it easier for him to collect a bonus if he decides to retire, and that may be an indication he has been thinking along those lines since last season.

Miles is a former player and graduate assistant coach at Michigan, and was a devoted follower of his coach, Bo Schembechler. There is a $1.2 million buyout clause in his contract with LSU if he leaves for Michigan.

There were no direct questions about his possible interest, though Miles did appear uncomfortable at times when talking about the upset.

His first response was a pause with a verbal stumble then a dry laugh.

"I can only tell you the men that represent Michigan back home are hard pressed to find a smile," he said. "They're fighting like heck. I believe they understand adversity. I suspect they will do right things. I trust very comfortably what Coach Carr had to do.

"It's not the first time. Maybe the first time against Appalachian State, but many seasons there are those times you have to pick yourself up off the mat and play. That team is used to doing that."

Miles was asked if anyone from Michigan had called him.

"All my buddies that were in the stadium," he replied. "We're a close-knit group. That team carries some emotional attachment to a number of us. They'll be back. They'll be fine."

CAPTAINS CHOSEN: Jacob Hester (special teams), Early Doucet (offense) and Ali Highsmith (defense) will serve as captains for Saturday night's game against Virginia Tech.

Archived