Bama assistant coach punched by OM fan

BamaGrad03

From Cecil Hurt's article:

Those fans expressed their disdain with 21st-century officiating in a decidedly prehistoric way. Bottles flew (no more excusable in Oxford than it was in Tuscaloosa a few weeks ago.) One Alabama assistant coach was accosted (some witnesses said punched) by an Ole Miss fan as he tried to make his way from the press box to the locker room. The behavior isn’t excusable, although the consternation of Rebel fans is understandable.

Hopefully OM's behavior today will be as widely reported and commented on as was UA's a few weeks ago.

What is wrong with people?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched some video from one of the press guys who had a camera on the field...and the Bama coaches were having to tell all the players to keep their helmets on until the get to the locker room...because of all the stuff being thrown at them.

College fans need to realize that they are SPECTATORS...nothing more.

I don't care who you are, you should not throw things on the field or accost the coaches. That is just classless. I saw all the bottles and cups near the end of the game, and even though I wish Bama would have lost, I thought that was classless. I notice the cops telling Saban that it was happening and pointing to where they were to go. I know Ole Miss was upset, but that is not the way to handle it.

Those fans expressed their disdain with 21st-century officiating in a decidedly prehistoric way. Bottles flew (no more excusable in Oxford than it was in Tuscaloosa a few weeks ago.) One Alabama assistant coach was accosted (some witnesses said punched) by an Ole Miss fan as he tried to make his way from the press box to the locker room. The behavior isn’t excusable, although the consternation of Rebel fans is understandable.

Hopefully OM's behavior today will be as widely reported and commented on as was UA's a few weeks ago.

Cecil should be ashamed. I agree. Spreading unsubstantiated rumors without verifying them is the mark of an irresponsible journalist. He should be admonished. He's the worst sportswriter in the state as it is.

I watched some video from one of the press guys who had a camera on the field...and the Bama coaches were having to tell all the players to keep their helmets on until the get to the locker room...because of all the stuff being thrown at them.

College fans need to realize that they are SPECTATORS...nothing more.

People need to realize these players are 18 -23 (sometimes younger) boys! They do their best and they shouldn't be accosted for doing their best. I was upset too, but if I was there, I wouldn't have thrown a cup at them. That is just stupid. I don't like it when AU fans do it either.

Not cool. That's for sure, but unfortunately, the call, the timing and the fact they had watched Bama do it to others probably didn't make for the right situation to avoid getting things thrown at you.

The "punch" is just pure BS. Should have never happened.

Just to be clear..All of it is classless.

The "punch" is just pure BS. Should have never happened.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it didn't.

Having gone from the pressbox to the lockerroom in numerous college stadiums (although I do admit that I can't remember the specific layout at Ole Miss) the chance of a coach being in a position to interact with a fan is almost ZERO.

They shut the elevators down in the pressbox before the end of the game and the only people allowed in or out are the coaches. The elevators go to a level below where the fans are and lead directly to the paths to the lockerrooms -- places where fans are not allowed.

Cecil? Not saying he's lying, but....

Of course he's lying. He's never lied about this before. But hell he's covered about 3 million Alabama games. Makes sense for him to come up with this lie now.

Oh and those weren't cups and bottles on the field. They were lies.

Of course he's lying. He's never lied about this before. But hell he's covered about 3 million Alabama games. Makes sense for him to come up with this lie now.

Oh and those weren't cups and bottles on the field. They were lies.

The cups and bottles, yeah. Everybody saw that. But unless the Bama coaches are complete idiots and can't follow directions, they're not going to be in a position to be "accosted" by fans. Cecil covers his lie by claiming "it was reported" and "somebody said" Utter horse manure. He didn't necessarily lie because he doesn't actually say it happened. What a putz.

Cecil is a freaking hack. He's AWFUL. It's not the first time he's printed something that was an outright fabrication. Don't even pretend that it is.

:roflol::roflol: If only he could have hit Saban :roflol:

But seriously I would be upset if that were a AU fan that hit him, but it wasn't.

Cecil Hurt couldn't carry a real sports writer's laptop. Maybe it happened, maybe not, but Cecil ain't an acceptable source.

I think that's going to be the extent of the coverage, BG. Pat Forde reported on the incident in Tuscaloosa after UGA/Bammer on ESPN.com, but there wasn't any national media in Oxford yesterday, I don't believe. If they're not there to report it, then they're not going to give it the exposure. I think the best you're getting this go round is the close-up LFS got of the endzone after the call. Did CGD include that shot during the highlights?

Cecil should be ashamed. I agree. Spreading unsubstantiated rumors without verifying them is the mark of an irresponsible journalist. He should be admonished. He's the worst sportswriter in the state as it is.

Cecil Hurt is a sportswriter??? Who knew? I thought he served the same function as Fran's Mike McKenzie...

Every school has "that guy". The one that decided to take the game personally and pushes the limits of what is god sportsmanship, bad sportsmanship and what is just down right wrong to do. I am sorry it happened to your asst. coach. No team needs fans like that in my opinion.

Every school has "that guy". The one that decided to take the game personally and pushes the limits of what is god sportsmanship, bad sportsmanship and what is just down right wrong to do. I am sorry it happened to your asst. coach. No team needs fans like that in my opinion.

We're taking the position that it didn't happen.

Given the track record for homerism of this "sportswriter" who reported the incident as well as the fact that assistant coaches are highly unlikely to be in a situaiton where they could possibly be confronted by fans, AND given the fact that no other media outlet in the universe has reported the same we're calling :bs:

I think the title of this thread should also include the word ALLEGEDLY

We're taking the position that it didn't happen.

Given the track record for homerism of this "sportswriter" who reported the incident as well as the fact that assistant coaches are highly unlikely to be in a situaiton where they could possibly be confronted by fans, AND given the fact that no other media outlet in the universe has reported the same we're calling :bs:

I think the title of this thread should also include the word ALLEGEDLY

my bad... :bigblush::slapfh:

Not saying it did happen BUT

I can remember being at the Miss St game last season and seeing Coach Price and Coach Knox coming down from the press box to go into the lockerroom for halftime and after the game. They had to go around outside of the stadium and then come back in to the lockerroom. If a Miss St drunk saw them and recognized them, it would have been no problem running up to them and landing a punch.

Now, proper reporting should have the assistant coach who got punched quoting the incident. Not, "I think I overheard some old woman say a Bama assistant coach got punched by an Ole Miss fan."

This just seems like an attempt to get the negative light about classless fans(UGA Game) off bammer and onto someone else.

Archived