Technical Question

otterinbham

We're taking a serious look at VOIP through our cable company. We did the math, and we would be saving about $100 a month, especially since we'll be cutting out all the premium channels we really don't watch.

However, we are not early adopters. Anybody try VOIP yet? I know that they've resolved the 911 issue. Anything else we should be wary of?

I thought about VOIP but decided that my internet was not stable enough. I did take Charter's offer to bundle their phone service with my television and internet and my savings are about $80 per month.

It does handle the 911 issue and I verified it with a test call to 911.

I have VOIP and overall, I'm happy but it's a mixed bag. We're using a company called VoipYourLife. I might be switching soon because we keep having issues with random touchtone type sounds being heard on the other end of a call. It doesn't happen every time but sometimes it happens a lot. People I've talked to with other voip companies don't seem to have this problem.

I think BamaGrad also uses one called MyPeople and is happy with it.

Basically, the savings are enough to make the annoyances worth it to me. But it's not as reliable as traditional phone service (basically, it's as reliable as your internet connection is) and when the power is out, so is your phone. But you can usually set up a secondary phone number for your calls to rollover to, such as your cell phone, when you internet connection is down or the power is out.

I thought about VOIP but decided that my internet was not stable enough. I did take Charter's offer to bundle their phone service with my television and internet and my savings are about $80 per month.

Charter's service is VOIP.

We have VOIP and have been very happy with it. We lost service the day after it was installed but one 15 minute phone call to customer service and we haven't had a hiccup since.

Charter's service is VOIP.

Charter told me it was not VOIP. It uses a modem and is independent of the internet. When my internet goes down, my phone still works.

I use mypeople

www.mypeople.com (I did the website so if it breaks, you can blame me)

It's a Birmingham based company full of good people. The only time my service is an issue, it's charter's fault.

My people has some unique services like listening to your voicemail online and voice activated commands.

Archived