Saban to LSU?

SupperClub

i doubt he will leave. he actually seems to be a pretty happy person while out on the recruiting trail. i met him and a few other coaches at Outback when he was down here and he seemed kinda laid back to me. but if he does decide to leave, then best wishes to him and his family. i just can't get upset at someone for doing what is best for their family.

If he did what was best for his family, he wouldn't job hop every 3-4 years. If every coach did what was best for their family, uat would never have another coach and perhaps should consider shutting down the football program. Hey, at least you could do it before the NCAA does it for you.

I admit i'm torn here too. On one hand we have a head coach at our biggest rival that has no integrity, no respect for anybody, no discipline and a FAILED PROCESS.

Then on the other hand, we have the circus that is the uat administration out begging for somebody to be the headcoach of a has been program. So do we continue to enjoy watching the FAILED PROCESS or do we enjoy the circus surrounding another coaching search by the most inept administration in all of college athletics? Decisions, decisions.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i doubt he will leave. he actually seems to be a pretty happy person while out on the recruiting trail. i met him and a few other coaches at Outback when he was down here and he seemed kinda laid back to me. but if he does decide to leave, then best wishes to him and his family. i just can't get upset at someone for doing what is best for their family.

If he did what was best for his family, he wouldn't job hop every 3-4 years. If every coach did what was best for their family, uat would never have another coach and perhaps should consider shutting down the football program. Hey, at least you could do it before the NCAA does it for you.

I admit i'm torn here too. On one hand we have a head coach at our biggest rival that has no integrity, no respect for anybody, no discipline and a FAILED PROCESS.

Then on the other hand, we have the circus that is the uat administration out begging for somebody to be the headcoach of a has been program. So do we continue to enjoy watching the FAILED PROCESS or do we enjoy the circus surrounding another coaching search by the most inept administration in all of college athletics? Decisions, decisions.

you guys sure do hang on that "FAILED PROCESS", don't you? i guess i should just flip out that he didn't win a MNC his first season here....because afterall, rebuilding a program DOES happen overnight, right? you laugh at the people with unrealistic expectations, and you laugh at the people with realistic expectations. guess you guys should have fired CTT atfer his first season, huh?

If he does not appreciate all the fan support that he has received since he has been here...

Really? Support? Since the LSU game I haven't seen one Sabanation shirt or hear about how he's the second coming. Your buddies at bamamag all pretty much blame him for the players "quitting".

I still saw support for him at the Iron Bowl. I saw some "Got Nick?" and some "Sabanation" shirts. Didn't notice as many after the game though...

you guys sure do hang on that "FAILED PROCESS", don't you? i guess i should just flip out that he didn't win a MNC his first season here....because afterall, rebuilding a program DOES happen overnight, right? you laugh at the people with unrealistic expectations, and you laugh at the people with realistic expectations. guess you guys should have fired CTT atfer his first season, huh?

No offense, but I don't think you'd hear that if you don't lose to ULM. That was obviously a "failure" in the process.

A "process" would involve some sort of improvement at any area in the program. Not the obvious regressions (LAMO, MSU confirming that last year was no fluke, winless November), especially LATE IN THE SEASON when the new coach's influence has sunk in.

Tuberville improved Tot's 3 win season to 5 wins.

According to Julio Jones, you've got five years to win it all with Nick Saban.

... you guys sure do hang on that "FAILED PROCESS", don't you? i guess i should just flip out that he didn't win a MNC his first season here....because afterall, rebuilding a program DOES happen overnight, right? you laugh at the people with unrealistic expectations, and you laugh at the people with realistic expectations. guess you guys should have fired CTT atfer his first season, huh?

We didn't make the "process" statement, $abun did. He started out 6-2 and ended up 6-6. Spin it any way you like but The Process has failed miserably. And Shulla ain't nowhere to be found. Them's the facts, bub. You know it's a bad sign when the Music City Bowl says, "We really would like to invite a team with more than 6 wins." Ouch.

Oh, yes, actually we do. We love the FAILED PROCESS. You can't honestly tell me that after 8 games into the season and uat is sitting at 6-2 that you weren't positively giddy over the results at that point in the season. uat had just manhandled UT, you know, uat's biggest rival. If you say different, you are a liar. Contrary to your narrow perspective on the world, there are FAR more uat fans that expected instant results (ie: winning season, and yes even contend for the SEC West) than those that expected continued mediocrity. With that 6-2 record every bammer across the country was thinking 8-9 wins and a possible SEC West title whether you will admit it or not. There is no way you expected to even remotely come close to dropping the last 4 games of the season, especially when two of them were MSU, and ULM. But the reality of it is, you did. UAT dropped their last FOUR games of the season and yes that included MSU (for the second straight year) and ULM. uat fans went from "shula is recruiting lights out and finding players before anybody else knows about them", and "we have multiple NFL caliber Offensive Lineman" to, we have no talent thanks to shula. Then the coach himself blames it on everybody else, former coaching staff, and the players without taking any of the blame whatsoever.

Since you uaters can never discuss anything uat related without bringing auburn in to the discussion at some point, I'll play. In 1998 we went 3-8, in tuberville's first year we were 5-6, yes that is what is called IMPROVEMENT, with virtually the same players bowden had the year before. SHula's last year, 6-7, satan's first year, 6-6 with bowl game pending. NO IMPROVEMENT. Shula also beat ULM 41-7 with the same players and minus a year of experience. NO IMPROVEMENT. ALso, Tuberville put us in the SEC Championship game in his second season. How confident are you that saban can take uat to a title game next year? Don't forget all these players that he is allegedly running off after the season, not to mention the seniors that are leaving. Do you honestly see uat playing for the conference championship next year??

Contrary to your narrow perspective on the world, there are FAR more uat fans that expected instant results (ie: winning season, and yes even contend for the SEC West) than those that expected continued mediocrity.

"We Bowlin' Baby!"

That's right, Collete. All the way to Memphis.

Oh, yes, actually we do. We love the FAILED PROCESS. You can't honestly tell me that after 8 games into the season and uat is sitting at 6-2 that you weren't positively giddy over the results at that point in the season. uat had just manhandled UT, you know, uat's biggest rival. If you say different, you are a liar. Contrary to your narrow perspective on the world, there are FAR more uat fans that expected instant results (ie: winning season, and yes even contend for the SEC West) than those that expected continued mediocrity. With that 6-2 record every bammer across the country was thinking 8-9 wins and a possible SEC West title whether you will admit it or not. There is no way you expected to even remotely come close to dropping the last 4 games of the season, especially when two of them were MSU, and ULM. But the reality of it is, you did. UAT dropped their last FOUR games of the season and yes that included MSU (for the second straight year) and ULM. uat fans went from "shula is recruiting lights out and finding players before anybody else knows about them", and "we have multiple NFL caliber Offensive Lineman" to, we have no talent thanks to shula. Then the coach himself blames it on everybody else, former coaching staff, and the players without taking any of the blame whatsoever.

Since you uaters can never discuss anything uat related without bringing auburn in to the discussion at some point, I'll play. In 1998 we went 3-8, in tuberville's first year we were 5-6, yes that is what is called IMPROVEMENT, with virtually the same players bowden had the year before. SHula's last year, 6-7, satan's first year, 6-6 with bowl game pending. NO IMPROVEMENT. Shula also beat ULM 41-7 with the same players and minus a year of experience. NO IMPROVEMENT. ALso, Tuberville put us in the SEC Championship game in his second season. How confident are you that saban can take uat to a title game next year? Don't forget all these players that he is allegedly running off after the season, not to mention the seniors that are leaving. Do you honestly see uat playing for the conference championship next year??

Excellent post.

And might I add what I've said before.

Let's say hypothetically, after 8 games, uat was 2-6. Then they picked up steam, showed improvement throughout the year, and finished at 6-6.

In that scenario, you could legitimately claim that the lingering effects of the Shula era were still holding you back, but then the "process" (i.e. Saban's influence) kicked in, and you finished strong, showing that at least throughout the year, improvements were made.

However, instead you have a team that went 6-2 off of Shula's steam. Once Saban's system began taking over is when the failures started. In the hypothetical scenario, you'd have no problems recognizing that the first 3/4 of the season were remnants of the prior coach's reign, while the later third could be attributed to the new coach.

Why can't you see it in the scenario that actually took place?

Shula > Saban. Fact.

This season was a miserable failure in virtually every way. There are no excuses. This team had plenty of talent and yes, it was talent that Mike Shula brought in. The ability this team possessed was proven in games against Arky, Jawja and the rear end raping of the East Division Champions, 10-S-C. A proven quarterback, "Rollin' 5 deep" in the backfield, All-SEC center and tackle, experienced TE and two receivers that many thought were as good as any in this conference. And a defense that turned out to be far better than many expected.

LSU or Georgia talent? Not quite, but not far below. So shouldn't a great coach like the Nicktator make the difference in coaching that taent UP? Shouldn't he be aware of and taking care of attitude and discipline problems? Yes, he should. But he didn't. Nick Saban failed miserably and this was NOT a part of any process.

yeah i was pretty happy where we were 8 games into the season. anybody would be if they were 6-2 8 games into the season. the only one game out of those last 4 i couldn't conceive us losing was the ULM game. LSU was chalked up as a L before the season even started. i could see MSU happening.....if they could do it the year before in our house, and if they could do it this year in AU's house, they could certainly do it to us in theirs. i still thought we would win it, but i could certainly see us losing also. blindsided by ULM. i didn't really know what to think about the IB. when you lose the past 5, there is no reason to have actual belief or confidence that we would win #6. i wasn't surprised, to say the least. i have NEVER said CMS recruited lights out, so don't lump me in with everybody else. and apparently you don't watch CNS' press conferences all the way through, he has blamed himself numerous times. after the ULM game. after the IB. then again Monday after the IB. i don't see us playing for diddly over the next 2 years. we're going to be a very very young team and honestly i expect a year similar to this next season. i don't see what it hurts to be patient. i know you want us to freak out and want to fire him, but i don't think that will happen.

so, your position here is in a head coach's first year at a school, if he does not exceed his predecessor's record from the previous season, he is a failure? simple yes or no question, because thats pretty much what you are implying.

so, your position here is in a head coach's first year at a school, if he does not exceed his predecessor's record from the previous season, he is a failure? simple yes or no question, because thats pretty much what you are implying.

At a glance, yes.

But that's not what's at hand, as I and other posters have elaborated.

The record is even, but the LAMO loss puts this season at worse than last season. Please don't forget just how embarrassing that loss was to the entire SEC.

Also, as I pointed out the losses came late in the season. When the "process" should have been gaining steam.

This season was a miserable failure in virtually every way. There are no excuses. This team had plenty of talent and yes, it was talent that Mike Shula brought in. The ability this team possessed was proven in games against Arky, Jawja and the rear end raping of the East Division Champions, 10-S-C. A proven quarterback, "Rollin' 5 deep" in the backfield, All-SEC center and tackle, experienced TE and two receivers that many thought were as good as any in this conference. And a defense that turned out to be far better than many expected.

LSU or Georgia talent? Not quite, but not far below. So shouldn't a great coach like the Nicktator make the difference in coaching that taent UP? Shouldn't he be aware of and taking care of attitude and discipline problems? Yes, he should. But he didn't. Nick Saban failed miserably and this was NOT a part of any process.

preseason you guys were telling us between offense and defense, there MIGHT be 5 guys that could start at AU. the same thing was proven on a thread here about a month ago. Hall, Arenas, McClain, Caldwell, and Smith. and the only reason you guys would want Arenas was for returns. McClain is a true freshman. not one of our RB's would come close to starting for AU. not even close. you guys do nothing but flat out SLAM JPW, but oh today he's "proven" so it can fit your argument. the defense did in fact turn out better than i thought it would, i will agree with you there.

so how does it go from "you guys have maybe 5 guys total team that might start for AU" to "not far below" LSU talent? :blink:

At a glance, yes.

But that's not what's at hand, as I and other posters have elaborated.

The record is even, but the LAMO loss puts this season at worse than last season. Please don't forget just how embarrassing that loss was to the entire SEC.

Also, as I pointed out the losses came late in the season. When the "process" should have been gaining steam.

meh, thats fair enough.

i agree, the ULM loss is embarassing. there is no denying that. but, even with that he will get a pass (somewhat). as far as the "process", i'm willing to be patient about it. i'm in no big hurry. i don't expect to compete for the SEC title or anything next season. i think over the next few seasons we start bringing in folks who are more physically and mentally fit to play the style of football he prefers though.

preseason you guys were telling us between offense and defense, there MIGHT be 5 guys that could start at AU. the same thing was proven on a thread here about a month ago. Hall, Arenas, McClain, Caldwell, and Smith. and the only reason you guys would want Arenas was for returns. McClain is a true freshman. not one of our RB's would come close to starting for AU. not even close. you guys do nothing but flat out SLAM JPW, but oh today he's "proven" so it can fit your argument. the defense did in fact turn out better than i thought it would, i will agree with you there.

so how does it go from "you guys have maybe 5 guys total team that might start for AU" to "not far below" LSU talent? :blink:

Then how do you account for taking both those teams to the wire and ripping UT a new bung-hole? You play 60 minutes on the field. Not on paper and not in the recruiting services. On the field, where the true measure of talent and coaching are proven. I don't care what a poll on an Auburn board says about Alabama players. Think you're going to get objective responses?

Personally, I thought we were just as talented as every team in the conference virtually across the board and should have done much better than 8-4. I think our staff did a terrible job in certain areas that put us at that record. And I can look at every team around this conference, LSU included, and pick no more than 3-4 guys I'd rather have starting over what we put on the field. Way too much parity in this league and in college football nationwide. You HAVE to have coaching make the difference. That's why you guys were 6-6 and we were 8-4. Both should have been much better.

yeah i was pretty happy where we were 8 games into the season. anybody would be if they were 6-2 8 games into the season. the only one game out of those last 4 i couldn't conceive us losing was the ULM game. LSU was chalked up as a L before the season even started. i could see MSU happening.....if they could do it the year before in our house, and if they could do it this year in AU's house, they could certainly do it to us in theirs. i still thought we would win it, but i could certainly see us losing also. blindsided by ULM. i didn't really know what to think about the IB. when you lose the past 5, there is no reason to have actual belief or confidence that we would win #6. i wasn't surprised, to say the least. i have NEVER said CMS recruited lights out, so don't lump me in with everybody else. and apparently you don't watch CNS' press conferences all the way through, he has blamed himself numerous times. after the ULM game. after the IB. then again Monday after the IB. i don't see us playing for diddly over the next 2 years. we're going to be a very very young team and honestly i expect a year similar to this next season. i don't see what it hurts to be patient. i know you want us to freak out and want to fire him, but i don't think that will happen.

Actually, to be honest, I really couldn't care less about what uat does with their program. They give me plenty of things to laugh at the way it is, and that's all i can ask for. Seeing the implosion at a coach's failure every 3-4 years is hilarious. Yes, I love it. When saban leaves in 2 years or sooner, i'll enjoy it then to. uat stops at nothing to provide comic relief for the rest of the country. For that, we thank you.

YES. Absolutely. The erection that you uat fans had when and since saban was hired made it that way. When you honked his bobo like you have so often since he was hired, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that you expected INSTANT results. You didn't get them. You uaters held this loser as a God of a coach because of one successful season and proclaimed him as instant saviour of your mediocre program. Now, we won't get in to the previous SEVEN coaches that have also been named instant saviour of the program when they were hired. That's a different topic. Did you not expect at least 8 wins this season prior to the season starting? Would that not have been an improvement had it happened? You uaters expected saban to come in wave his little fairy wand and resurrect a program overnight. You expected a minimum of 8 wins and after a 6-2 start it probably wasn't unreasonable to expect. You can back peddle now from those "Instant Results/expectations", but from the moment he was hired, he was gonna begin a period of dominance in the state, SEC and across the country, and since he's such a better coach than shula, surely he was gonna do more that merely MATCH shula's win total. After all, uat holds him as a GOD of a coach, but reality has set in and he's no better than shula and at a higher price.

Surely there are a FEW brain cells left in Baton Rouge/ Even corndogs aren't stupid enough to make the same mistake twice!

RWS, if all other Bama fans were as logical as you are on this situation there might be a light at the tunnel. The problem is that most Bama fans will not stand two more years of rebuilding, especially the ones that pay the bills in T-town. Alabama's fans are their own worst enemies. The expectations, the interference, and the lack of patience are the reasons for all of the problems and quite honestly why Bama has more enemies than the average school.

Rut-Row Raggy!!!!! B)

Link

Alabama football coach Nick Saban flew into a Baton Rouge airport Wednesday, The Daily Reveille learned through anonymous sources. Saban was escorted by Louisiana State Troopers to an undisclosed location.

Guest BoStillKnows

I'm glad to finally see a Bama fan that understands why Fran left. And, he obviously forgives him.

Rut-Row Raggy!!!!! B)

Link

Alabama football coach Nick Saban flew into a Baton Rouge airport Wednesday, The Daily Reveille learned through anonymous sources. Saban was escorted by Louisiana State Troopers to an undisclosed location.

actually, he was in Monroe, LA at an in-home visit with TE Tyler Edwards. he was at Edwards' school a little after 9AM, then went to Edwards' house when school let out. Monroe is in the NE part of LA, and Baton Rouge is in the SE part. btw, he was in a UA jet and it landed at Monroe Regional, not in Baton Rouge. and as far as the LST? that was a nice touch they tried to put on it. but hey, don't let little things like facts get in your way.

actually, he was in Monroe, LA at an in-home visit with TE Tyler Edwards. he was at Edwards' school a little after 9AM, then went to Edwards' house when school let out. Monroe is in the NE part of LA, and Baton Rouge is in the SE part. btw, he was in a UA jet and it landed at Monroe Regional, not in Baton Rouge. and as far as the LST? that was a nice touch they tried to put on it. but hey, don't let little things like facts get in your way.

You said Monroe....

:lmao:

Now theres a recruiting battle where ULM has the advantage.

Archived