Got my Birthday Present Today!!!

Tiger Refuge

Well, I have been waiting for almost a month now...and my best birthday present ever arrived today! A Toomer's Oak Seedling! My wife ordered it a while back and was able to surprise me with news of it on my b-day back in October. It came in the mail today(I took off early...hmmm maybe an omen :big: ). Anyway, I will plant it at my parent's house tommorrow (both AU grads). Being a professional forester, I am fired up to receive such a long lasting and awesome gift. I hope that it provides a nice bit of shade and a point of celebration for years to come! It even came with it's own AU toilet paper! :big: I encourage everyone to support the AU School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences by getting their own!

That's neat. I found the link:

https://fp.auburn.edu/sfws/oaks/MainPage.htm

Is the one you received like already partially grown? Or is it just the seed with a little sprout?

That is actually really cool.

I hope in the unfortunate event that something happens to the original (i.e. bammer arson) it can be replaced by one of its already full grown offspring.

It is a seedling that is 14-18" tall, "born" in 2006. There was an article in one of the most recent AU Alumni Mags that detailed the plight of the Toomer's Oaks. They aren't growing in their natural environment, coupled with the TP'ing and subsequent cleaning they have received over the years, well...things aren't looking good for their future. There are plans in place to "replace" them. I just figured there is nothing like the original...or their offspring, so I am fired up! :cheer:

It is a seedling that is 14-18" tall, "born" in 2006. There was an article in one of the most recent AU Alumni Mags that detailed the plight of the Toomer's Oaks. They aren't growing in their natural environment, coupled with the TP'ing and subsequent cleaning they have received over the years, well...things aren't looking good for their future. There are plans in place to "replace" them. I just figured there is nothing like the original...or their offspring, so I am fired up! :cheer:

This may sound dumb, but how quickly do they need to be planted into the ground? Like would the environment of an apartment be OK for a year or two? Or does it need to be planted in ones yard?

I called and inquired about them. The tree is a live oak, and the trees they are selling are seedlings. A live oak will not survive in cold temperatures.

I found it hard to believe that they are not selling clones - trees propagated by cellular reproduction - i. e. an exact genetic copy of the source. I'm sure we are very capable of doing this type of propagation at Auburn.

A live oak will not survive in cold temperatures.

One unique thing is that it keeps green leaves throughout the cool months of fall & winter. It is one of a very few hardwoods that do this.

We have one that we received as a gift. A word of warning, if you live north of zone 8 (see pic) or even on some of the taller hills or mountains around Birmingham it will take a lot of babying until it really takes root. Another guy I know here in Huntsville bought three and only two have made it so far. Also, we found that ours needed watering more often than in the directions that came with the sapling.

frostzonemap.jpg

That's neat. I found the link:

https://fp.auburn.edu/sfws/oaks/MainPage.htm

Is the one you received like already partially grown? Or is it just the seed with a little sprout?

That is actually really cool.

I hope in the unfortunate event that something happens to the original (i.e. bammer arson) it can be replaced by one of its already full grown offspring.

At the current rate of AU's ownership, that Toomers Tree will be burned up ashes in no time.

Yes,

The Live Oak is native to the highly acidic, well drained sandy soils of the coastline of the Southeastern US. I'm sure a lot of you have visited the older historic area along the coast and seen these trees growing in their more native environment...they have large canopies with very large, long limbs...and they are an evergreen hardwood, meaning they always have green foiliage. They will grow in areas farther north, and will adapt to differing soil conditions, however they will not live as long in these odd conditions(how long?, probably longer than us! :P ). They will not withstand temps below freezing for very long. In fact, Opelika is about as far North as I would be willing to plant one, otherwise, they would take an extraordinary amount of care just to survive the first few years.

If you want to buy one, and are going to be moving in the next year, they can be planted in a 1-2 gallon pot and then transplanted at a later date. The School of Forestry would be glad to answer any questions that I cannot.

I've you've ever been in the historic part of downtown Mobile (mostly Government St, I think), that's what they look like fully grown and a tad healthier. They're absolutely beautiful trees. Whenever I get done with school and settle, I plan on buying at least one.

Archived