Jimbo Fisher To Be Next Coach At FSU

AUChizad

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2007/12/florid..._fisher_cl.html

Florida State's Jimbo Fisher close to finalizing deal to succeed Bobby Bowden

Posted by Birmingham News December 04, 2007 7:13 PM

Categories: Sports

Sources close to Florida State offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher have confirmed to The Birmingham News that he and the school are close to finalizing an agreement in writing that will make him the FSU head football coach when Bobby Bowden retires.

Fisher turned down an offer to rejoin his old LSU boss, Nick Saban, at Alabama after last season. He chose instead to leave LSU to become the Florida State offensive coordinator amid speculation that he hoped to succeed the Birmingham native Bowden one day.

The agreement doesn't set an exact date for Bowden to retire, but it does include a mutual buyout. Florida State will have to pay Fisher if it doesn't promote him to head coach when Bowden retires, and Fisher will have to pay Florida State if he leaves for another job at another school before Bowden retires.

For more on this story, see Wednesday's Birmingham News.

Kevin Scarbinsky

Mods, feel free to move this to the Rivals thread. I meant to post it there.

I know that is what I thought would happen when Jimbo went down there, but interesting to see them put it in a contract. Thanks for the link.

Good for Jimbo. He has been one of the best assistants for a long time. I hope he gets his chance. I also wonder how many more years Bobby is going to stay on the sidelines. He seemed to be pretty addled the few times I saw them play this year. He and Joe Pa are just trying to wait each other out.

He and Joe Pa are just trying to wait each other out.

I heard it called a "death march" the other day. Seems pretty fitting.

Although I really think Jimbo Fisher is already the real head coach at FSU. This deal just allows Bobby to ride around in his golf cart with his straw hat on and add a few more wins to his tally.

Lets be honest, at most there will be 2 years of Mushchamp at Auburn.

He will stick around if he thinks he can be a coordinator for a team that can compete for the SEC or NCG to add to his resume. After that he will be waiting for a quality job to open up somewhere.

I like Muschamp a lot. He just has one weakness and thats teaching face gaurding to our back field. Need to up the ante and teach the kids to defend while looking for the ball at the same time. Its an important skill for the nfl and turnovers win football games. We have the talent to be in the right place, just need em to take the ball away.

Outside of that one thing, I am very impressed with Will Muschamp from his attitude, influence, and ability.

I like Muschamp a lot as well, but I think any talk of him as head coach at Auburn is premature for a couple of reasons. First, he is not going to stick around more than one or two more seasons as OC b/c he will get a good offer somewhere else first, and I don't think Tub is going anywhere in that time frame. Also, remember two years ago when people were saying that Borges should be considered for head coach? Now there are a number of people who think Borges should be fired. Very short memories in college football.

This is what Auburn ought to do with Muschamp.

Truth.

That's an excellent idea. Someone forward this to CTT and Jacobs and tell them to get on it. :)

DKW can do it when he gets off work tonight. :thumbsup: They're tight like that.

Jimbo did a solid job while at LSU even though many blamed him for losses while at LSU.

Jimbo left because he HATED sparing with Miles and play-calling. Saban let Jimbo do whatever he wanted.

He will turn FSU around, imo. I always loved him as a HC. Very good manager with experience

This is what Auburn ought to do with Muschamp.

I'm not 100% sold on this idea. About 51.3% sold on it.

I agree. I think DC made a great point on Borges.

Archived