Who is going to be the new Arkansas coach?

subterranean_jack

I believe they will settle for Herring. That is fueled even more-so by the rumors that the new AD, Long, who just took over December 1st may bolt to Nebraska to take interim AD Osborne's place. If that is the case, most likely Bynes will step back in as a temporary until a hire is made. Since no coach will want to take a job not knowing who his boss is, they will settle for Herring.

That would mean an Auburn coach with ties to Ole Miss, an Ole Miss coach with ties to Arkansas, an Arkansas coach with ties to Auburn, a Miss. State coach with ties to UAT, and a UAT coach with ties to LSU. And Les Miles. What a division.

If I'm Arkansas, I contemplate suing ESPN. They have "broken" three coaching stories about the school, and by most accounts, influenced contractual commitments/negotiations on two occasions (Bowden and Grobe). Enough is enough with this nonsense.

If I'm Arkansas, I contemplate suing ESPN. They have "broken" three coaching stories about the school, and by most accounts, influenced contractual commitments/negotiations on two occasions (Bowden and Grobe). Enough is enough with this nonsense.

What is the cause of action?

I believe they will settle for Herring. That is fueled even more-so by the rumors that the new AD, Long, who just took over December 1st may bolt to Nebraska to take interim AD Osborne's place. If that is the case, most likely Bynes will step back in as a temporary until a hire is made. Since no coach will want to take a job not knowing who his boss is, they will settle for Herring.

That won't happen. Herring will end up at Ole Miss with Dale. Also, there is very little basis for the Long to Neb rumor. The guy who reported it (on a message board) has yet to be right about any of the things he has reported.

I can't answer the question because anyone with a guess stands a chance of being right. Any of you want the job? Or want to throw your name in the hat so that you can get a raise/extention at your current job? Seems to be working for everyone else...

That won't happen. Herring will end up at Ole Miss with Dale. Also, there is very little basis for the Long to Neb rumor. The guy who reported it (on a message board) has yet to be right about any of the things he has reported.

I can't answer the question because anyone with a guess stands a chance of being right. Any of you want the job? Or want to throw your name in the hat so that you can get a raise/extention at your current job? Seems to be working for everyone else...

What do you think are Gus's chances?

Why would Gus go back to Ark after the way he left last time?

I know it had to do with Nutt but I heard his relationship with other Admin wasn't the best either

Why would Gus go back to Ark after the way he left last time?

I know it had to do with Nutt but I heard his relationship with other Admin wasn't the best either

He interviewed.

Gus did interview and I know there are a few big donors want him back, but I'm not sure if he would come back considering most of the people who did not have his back last year are still around. I don't believe he was offered, but if he is offered, it might be difficult to turn down. Pretty nice jump from HS to HC in the SEC in 3 years. Who knows. Maybe by the time spring football starts we will have a head coach.

The best hire for Arky right now would be Brent Venables. Hiring Gus or Herring would look like they settled. Venables would be an exciting hire.

Texas, you'd at least be able to make a case for intentional interference with a contract. Obviously it would depend largely on Arkansas tort law, but a number of states have allowed claims for interference (by a third party) with contractual negotiations, when it's done for gain at the contractual party's expense. Like I said, it would all depend on the state's tort laws (of which I know nothing), but if you have an injury, there's almost always a tort label to attach.

Texas, you'd at least be able to make a case for intentional interference with a contract. Obviously it would depend largely on Arkansas tort law, but a number of states have allowed claims for interference (by a third party) with contractual negotiations, when it's done for gain at the contractual party's expense. Like I said, it would all depend on the state's tort laws (of which I know nothing), but if you have an injury, there's almost always a tort label to attach.

You wouldn't survive summary judgment.

I think that the way it was perceived in the national media on how Nutt got treated in Arky, that job be damaged goods now. I thought Tommy Bowden would have accepted it because he has a better chance with doing something in Arky then Clemson, or at least I think he would.

Then you have Jim Grobe at Wake Forest for crying out loud, turning the job down. I hate to tell the Arky fans on the board, but the day your program does not seem like a step up from Wake Forest, then you guys need to really look at your PTBs and see what the heck they are doing to ruin your program. This was a team that played in the SEC CG last year and now you can't get somebody to take the job from what is supposed to be a lesser football program.

I think I used the word "program" about 20 times. :big:

I think that the way it was perceived in the national media on how Nutt got treated in Arky, that job be damaged goods now. I thought Tommy Bowden would have accepted it because he has a better chance with doing something in Arky then Clemson, or at least I think he would.

Then you have Jim Grobe at Wake Forest for crying out loud, turning the job down. I hate to tell the Arky fans on the board, but the day your program does not seem like a step up from Wake Forest, then you guys need to really look at your PTBs and see what the heck they are doing to ruin your program. This was a team that played in the SEC CG last year and now you can't get somebody to take the job from what is supposed to be a lesser football program.

Jim Grobe was a risky deal to begin with. I understand why he didn't take it. At Wake, if he makes it to a bowl game they think he is a god (and rightfully so). He's happy there, so for him to step into the SEC where we expect more than a bowl game is tough. I think he would have done a great job at AR, but I understand.

There's more to the story on Bowden. Some of the higher-up's here kinda nixed that deal. I know the media said he turned us down, but that's not exactly the case.

I do think the perception of the Nutt situation looks bad and that might be hurting us with some other names that may not have been thrown out there. The worst thing that is going on is the local media keeps saying that so-and-so is going to be the next coach with no real sources. That makes it look even worse. There is a power struggle behind the scenes and I'm not sure the best interests of the program are the most important thing to some people.

Whatever. Hopefully the people running the circus up there will take a step back, find a hungry coordinator at a BCS school and hope he turns out like Stoops, Richt or the like. That wouldn't cost a lot of money and if it doesn't work out, we can get rid of him and do this all over again in a few years.

People made fun of us during our basketball search because many big names guys turned us down publicly and then Altman left after 24 hours. In the end, we got a guy in Pelphrey who I think is going to be a great coach for us. Hopefully, the same will happen in football. We'll see...

Jim Grobe was a risky deal to begin with. I understand why he didn't take it. At Wake, if he makes it to a bowl game they think he is a god (and rightfully so). He's happy there, so for him to step into the SEC where we expect more than a bowl game is tough. I think he would have done a great job at AR, but I understand.

There's more to the story on Bowden. Some of the higher-up's here kinda nixed that deal. I know the media said he turned us down, but that's not exactly the case.

I do think the perception of the Nutt situation looks bad and that might be hurting us with some other names that may not have been thrown out there. The worst thing that is going on is the local media keeps saying that so-and-so is going to be the next coach with no real sources. That makes it look even worse. There is a power struggle behind the scenes and I'm not sure the best interests of the program are the most important thing to some people.

Whatever. Hopefully the people running the circus up there will take a step back, find a hungry coordinator at a BCS school and hope he turns out like Stoops, Richt or the like. That wouldn't cost a lot of money and if it doesn't work out, we can get rid of him and do this all over again in a few years.

People made fun of us during our basketball search because many big names guys turned us down publicly and then Altman left after 24 hours. In the end, we got a guy in Pelphrey who I think is going to be a great coach for us. Hopefully, the same will happen in football. We'll see...

The next Arky media outlet to "break" a story that's not official, should go out of business. B)

I'd be worth the publicity just to get "Arkansas sues ESPN" on the ticker (and what competing website wouldn't have that up within 10 minutes?). If it's just local news stations breaking it... you could threaten them and probably scare a couple dollars in settlement out of them (or at the least scare them into stopping) on the shear fact that you have so much more money to shell out in legal fees if need be.

I think something like 5% of cases are fully adjudicated. So not surviving an initial motion, not a good enough reason to avoid filing suit.

I'd be worth the publicity just to get "Arkansas sues ESPN" on the ticker (and what competing website wouldn't have that up within 10 minutes?). If it's just local news stations breaking it... you could threaten them and probably scare a couple dollars in settlement out of them (or at the least scare them into stopping) on the shear fact that you have so much more money to shell out in legal fees if need be.

I think something like 5% of cases are fully adjudicated. So not surviving an initial motion, not a good enough reason to avoid filing suit.

It would be bad publicity that only served to highlight Arky's futile coach search. No media outlet would settle such a frivilous case. In fact, they would welcome it for the discovery alone.

BTW, cases aren't usually settled if they are so weak as to not likely survive summary judgment. Once a plaintiff overcomes that hurdle, then maybe the defendant will settle a case.

Venables would be a great hire for Arky. Don't tell ESPN.

Listening to espn radio tonight and the guy said 5 coaches have turned them down in 6 days. He said Arky is like the girl you date in HS to make your ex-girlfriend jealous. Saying these coaches flirted with Arky to get contract extensions, or least that is what was final, coincidentally or not, in all of them.

Why has no one looked at Charlie Strong as a HC?? I think he would do well and satisfy the BCA.

Frank Broyles is available Jan. 1st.

sabear is "available" every single day...........

Archived