West Virginia has found its man

tony-da-tiger

And its not saban. Dang it I was looking forward to the carnage.

http://wvgazette.com/section/Breaking/000001358

Not a good hire in my opinion. Jones and Holladay are both more qualified and ready for this job. This hire reminds me a lot of Larry Coker at the U.

Yeah, seems like a delay hire. THey can't get who they want yet so they are hiring an interim to raise money and work their ultimate target.

i heard Will Muschamp was recommended to them. i also heard that CNS was contacted and declined.

If you were the assistant HC, and they made you interim HC, then waited until they saw if you could coach - wouldn't that be an insult? I mean, if he was an assistant HC, obviously he could coach. And what would have happened if they had lost?

If you were the assistant HC, and they made you interim HC, then waited until they saw if you could coach - wouldn't that be an insult? I mean, if he was an assistant HC, obviously he could coach. And what would have happened if they had lost?

WVU was probably just getting their ducks in a row, or waiting on word from another coach they were interviewing. It could have been their plan all along to make the guy HC, and just wait 'til after the bowl game, so as to make the team's focus the game against OK. Who knows? From what I've read, the players love him, and he's a good coach. That's really all that matters.

The players were most certainly lobbying for him after the game last night.

They weren't just lobbying. Did you notice the relationship he had with them on the sideline? This guy is in their heads and their hearts. Even if he just holds down the fort for a few more years, with he talent coming back, this may be the best choice for continuity. Their biggest problem will be getting someone to call the plays.

I told my wife that this must have been the guy to come in their living rooms and come to WVU. He may flop, but the program certainly will be stronger emotionally for it. And then again, he may inspire them to be even better. When your offensive and defensive leaders openly request that you be coach, somebody needs to listen.

I agree with the Larry Coker statement above. He may have some short term success, but what then? Miami really took a turn for the worse after the talent Coker inherited left.

I think the hardest part will be finding a coordinator that can run the spread. Finding a DC coordinator isn't impossible.

Spread OC's aren't just falling off of trees. I sense a highschool head coach getting a promotion somewhere in the US.

Good for West "by gawd" Virginia. I think they made the best choice. I feel that if they had gotten hammered by OU that Saban would be in front of a podium right now announcing that momma had called. So this works out best for everyone.

Guest Tigrinum Major

From what I've read, the players love him, and he's a good coach. That's really all that matters.

I thought all that really mattered was wins and losses.

And national championships.

This is not a serious, long term hire by WVU. After all, they're only paying the guy $800,000. That's chump change for a BCS coach at a program like this.

This is not a serious, long term hire by WVU. After all, they're only paying the guy $800,000. That's chump change for a BCS coach at a program like this.

Well, they still haven't gotten the $4M RichRod owes them.

I’m not sure if it’s the right hire or not for WV. I just think you have to consider all the options if you’re WV. I think they may have been caught up in the emotion of last night’s game and jumped the gun. I know the players supported him as the new head coach but don’t you have to look at the big picture. (A lot of players supported Bill Oliver to be named HC after his stint as an interim. I’m sure glad that didn’t happen.) My guess is they are looking at it as a one shot deal. They have a lot of talent coming back next year and they are putting all of their chips into the pot betting he gives them the best shot for next year.

I heard a little man with a known name is desperately looking for a job, a job that would get him back into coaching....kinda get his feet wet again and get his name out there, oh yeah....he also knows how to run the Spread. Therefore, the OC job would be a pretty good match. Guess Who I'm talkin' about.

I heard a little man with a known name is desperately looking for a job, a job that would get him back into coaching....kinda get his feet wet again and get his name out there, oh yeah....he also knows how to run the Spread. Therefore, the OC job would be a pretty good match. Guess Who I'm talkin' about.

The family hasn't done well lately.

The family hasn't done well lately.

I may be getting my coaches mixed up, but didn't Terry hire Tommy as a coordinator when he was here?

Not sure they party enough in Morgantown. B)

From what I've read, the players love him, and he's a good coach. That's really all that matters.

I thought all that really mattered was wins and losses.

And national championships.

RTR! (Ugh -- I feel like I need to take a shower after saying that.)

Saban to WVU was never a real possibility - WVU athletic department looses over $2M per year - only 5 schools in Div 1 loose more money (South Carolina is one of them!). The school can't simply afford Saban. In reality the couldn't afford CRR - hence the problems between him and the school because they didn't have the money (nor could they raise it) to fulfill their promises to him. This hire is probably as much about money as anything. Before Bama came calling CRR salary wasn't much better than this guys.....

Now, Saban back to LSU when Miles was looking at Michigan I thought could have been a real possibility. I also would have been shocked if Saban would have left after a single year if for no other reason than his reputation. After the end of year 3 then I think it could start being more of a possibility, but I don't think it will hurt the program at that point.

Archived