25 years later...

quietfan

I acknowledge that Coach Bryant won many many games, permanently put his stamp on football at UAT, and was one of the greatest coaches in college football, so this is not to disrespect the anniversary of his death.

But the hoopla over this anniversary just accentuates the ridiculousness of claims by some Bammers that "they don't obsess over the Bear and don't live in the past".

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/in...&thispage=1

25 years after Bear Bryant's death, fans' devotion to UA coaching legend hasn't diminished

Saturday, January 26, 2008

MIKE BOLTONNews staff writer

Atidy, unoccupied house sits less than 15 feet from Bill Wakefield's Springville residence. The house where his mother once lived has no velvet paintings of Jesus or a Big Mouth Billy Bass, but it is rich with one of the other icons of interior decorating in Alabama.

There's the football autographed to Wakefield by Paul "Bear" Bryant following Bryant's final game as the University of Alabama head football coach. There are paintings of Bryant and some of his most famous quotes in every room of the house. On a wall hangs an artist's rendition of Bryant on Mount Rushmore.

"I moved all of my Coach Bryant and Alabama stuff over here after my Mama passed," Wakefield said. "I just had so much of it."

The accountant, like many other Alabama football fans, still hasn't dismantled his shrine to the legendary coach even though two and a half decades have now passed since Wakefield stood by the interstate to watch the funeral procession of Bryant pass by his workplace.

Like thousands of other Alabamians, Wakefield's devotion to Bryant has not diminished since the day Bryant died on Jan. 26, 1983, exactly 25 years ago.

"In the days when this state was getting it from every direction, Coach Bryant gave us something we could be proud of," Wakefield said.

"We were always in the top five under Bryant - at least in the top 10. It wasn't that gut-wrenching football Alabama plays now. I call it `cardiac football.' With Coach Bryant, you got up on Saturday morning and you didn't worry about losing. It was a done deal before the game ever started. We were so good for so long. Except for a couple of the (Gene) Stallings years, we haven't seen it since. Those of us who remember that want it back."

If it comes back, it will be done by athletes who were born after Bryant's death. This past season's Tide was the first team in 95 years not to have even one player who was alive during Bryant's life.

Today, Wakefield and other fans could easily add to their Bryant collections if they desired.

Houndstooth hats and Bryant's signature are still available at stores statewide.

This week on eBay, 207 pieces of Bryant memorabilia were being offered. Is college football a religion in Alabama? Those 207 items included WWBD - What Would Bryant Do? - bumper stickers.

At Elmwood Cemetery in Birmingham where Bryant was laid to rest, the red lines from the front gate to his modest gravesite have badly faded over more than two decades. Every day, at least several visitors come to his graveside to pay their respects, says Kwana Stephens, the location manager for the cemetery.

"His gravesite is still highly visited during football season," Stephens said. "One family recently drove from Texas to see his grave."

Although the cemetery asks that visitors not leave items at the gravesite, many do anyway, she said. A bag of Golden Flake potato chips and Coca-Colas - the sponsors of Bryant's TV show - are occasionally left at the grave, but crimson and white shakers are the most frequent item, she said.

Mementoes are not the only way fans in this state still pay tribute to Bryant.

The Bryant Museum in Tuscaloosa keeps a list of individuals who say they are named for Bryant. That list currently stands at 507, said Olivia Arnold, program assistant at the museum, which sponsors an event for the namesakes every year.

Renee Bruce, an Alfa insurance agent in Lineville, finds it hard to fathom that 25 years have passed since Bryant's death. Her late father, Jerry Alexander, was a huge Bryant fan. A separate house on the family property - the "Alabama house" - still contains all of his Bryant memorabilia.

"The walls are full," Bruce said.

If you already know that, and everyone else does, why post it? You are just telling everyone what they already know.

Mostly I was just posting the article, which I thought many--Auburn & Bama fans alike-- would enjoy reading.

My preliminary editorial comments were just thrown in as a little bonus, out of the generosity of my heart. :big:

Of course, that's why there was an article in the Montgomery Advertiser yesterday taking up half of the front page about Bear's accomplishments 25 years ago. More important than the election, war, economy, or anything else. At least to some people. Not me.

Thanks quietfan, makes my day to remind everyone of the god like position

2/3rd of this great state placed the Bear. :rolleyes:

If you already know that, and everyone else does, why post it? You are just telling everyone what they already know.

I think he wanted to prove to all the ignorant bammer fans that despite what they say, they do live in the past and always will.

Yeah, I also heard Rich Eisen mention the 25th anniversary yesterday when he was doing work for the NFL network.

Guess he's stuck in the past too. Stupid NFL network announcers. Why can't they let it go?

On F*nebaum the other day, a caller was talking about how honored he was that his son died on the same day as Bahr (years later), and basically said for that reason he could be at peace with it, because it was an honorable day to die on.

Crazy bammer probably found out his son was gay or something and killed him on that day to make up for it.

I can understand 98% of the gigs towards Bryant, and a Bammer's unbelievable ability to live as if it IS 25 years in the past...

However, 25 years IS a milestone anniversary, and attention to a very pubic and revered individual isn't uncommon, nor is it uncalled for.

I'm cool with the Bryant rememberance this weekend. I'll just retain my chuckles, and gigs to the other days of the year and countless examples of when bammer's represent the poor man as an example of their current status and culture... Besides bumper stickers, houndstooth hats and fond memories, Bear Bryant has about as much to do with TODAY's Crimson Tide as one of my fiance's cats. THAT deserves the gigs it renders.

It is what it is.

Yeah, I also heard Rich Eisen mention the 25th anniversary yesterday when he was doing work for the NFL network.

Guess he's stuck in the past too. Stupid NFL network announcers. Why can't they let it go?

No. BG. Rich Eisen did talk about it. There is no secret around Mobile that Alabama grads run the Senior Bowl. I think they run it very fairly. I have never sensed a bias in player selection or in coverage. However, when Eisen is doing research, guess who is in his ear? And, when Eisen is looking for regional news, guess who he's talking to?

This is what really irks me, though. Eisen's comments (and much of what I have read in newspapers) set up this beautiful picture of the entire state being in mourning as the body laid in state. That's just not true. No offense, but my family didn't stop in holy observance. Again, it's the vanity of The University to speak on behalf of The State.

No. BG. Rich Eisen did talk about it. There is no secret around Mobile that Alabama grads run the Senior Bowl. I think they run it very fairly. I have never sensed a bias in player selection or in coverage. However, when Eisen is doing research, guess who is in his ear? And, when Eisen is looking for regional news, guess who he's talking to?

This is what really irks me, though. Eisen's comments (and much of what I have read in newspapers) set up this beautiful picture of the entire state being in mourning as the body laid in state. That's just not true. No offense, but my family didn't stop in holy observance. Again, it's the vanity of The University to speak on behalf of The State.

Bryant didn't come anywhere near getting the coverage recently that MLK did. The Bear isn't the #1 story anymore in Alabama.

Bryant didn't come anywhere near getting the coverage recently that MLK did. The Bear isn't the #1 story anymore in Alabama.

Ooooo...ouch! I wouldn't say that too loud them boys over at TI might hear ya...then find ya.

On F*nebaum the other day, a caller was talking about how honored he was that his son died on the same day as Bahr (years later), and basically said for that reason he could be at peace with it, because it was an honorable day to die on.

Crazy bammer probably found out his son was gay or something and killed him on that day to make up for it.

That's uncalled for, Chizad. I'll bet if your son died, a son you raised from the time he was born, a son you loved and cherished...I'll bet if he died before his time you'd find anything possible to justify, or help live with his death so you don't go bat s*** crazy. I know someone who's lost two sons and he latched on to anything he could so he didn't break down.

That's uncalled for, Chizad. I'll bet if your son died, a son you raised from the time he was born, a son you loved and cherished...I'll bet if he died before his time you'd find anything possible to justify, or help live with his death so you don't go bat s*** crazy. I know someone who's lost two sons and he latched on to anything he could so he didn't break down.

Don't shoot the messenger. I think it's a sick perversion of reality to compare the death of that drunk to the death of your own child. Clearly bammers disagree.

Don't shoot the messenger. I think it's a sick perversion of reality to compare the death of that drunk to the death of your own child. Clearly bammers disagree.

The message was in very poor taste. Just because the guy's hero isn't the same as yours...well that's no excuse to allude that he killed his own son because he was gay. That's just moronic.

However, 25 years IS a milestone anniversary, and attention to a very pubic and revered individual isn't uncommon, nor is it uncalled for.

Really? Nobody else caught this? Freud? Bueller?

No kidding, someone else must be logged on using AC1's name.

No kidding, someone else must be logged on using AC1's name.

I would agree if years 1-24 hadn't been considered "milestones."

I remember that night. I drove down to Tuscaloosa that afternoon because a girl I knew invited me to go out and have fun that night. Mind you, she was spanky and hotter than flowing lava, and I just knew that I would be laying some pipe. A guy just knows these things.

So I get to her apartment, and all these people are there, crying and drinking. I ask, "What's wrong?"

Some brainless sorority girl sobbed, "Baaaahhhhrrresssssdeeeeedddddddd...."

"What?"

She was joined by another brainless sorority girl, except this time at a much higher octave, "Baaaahhhhrrrrrssssssded..........waaaaaaaaaaaaa." Then, their wailing went into an even higher note until the point where a coffee mug on the counter shattered, and Lisa's dog started howling.

Honestly, it took me five minutes to decipher what they were caterwauling about.

So, I was about to cut my losses and head back to Birmingham, but Lisa insisted I stay. So, then, we go out that night, and the place was like a tomb. The only people in the bars were really mean drunks, who were really pissed off because Baaaahhhhrrrrrssssssded. While I recognized the solemnity of the moment, I guess I just didn't look sad enough, because I nearly got my ass kicked because I picked some lighthearted music on the jukebox. What's more, Lisa's sorority friends all showed wearing black, not to mention enough mascara to keep the circus going. There wasn't a cheek in that place that wasn't streaked with Maybeillene.

Finally, I couldn't take it any more. Lisa and I headed back to her apartment. But her roommate was there watching the news about Baaaahhhhrrrrrssssssdeath, so Lisa had to console her. I never did get laid that night. In fact, it took several more months for us to get together and, by then, the chemistry was lost.

Damn Bear Bryant for not waiting another day to kick the bucket.

I remember that night. I drove down to Tuscaloosa that afternoon because a girl I knew invited me to go out and have fun that night. Mind you, she was spanky and hotter than flowing lava, and I just knew that I would be laying some pipe. A guy just knows these things.

So I get to her apartment, and all these people are there, crying and drinking. I ask, "What's wrong?"

"What?"

She was joined by another brainless sorority girl, except this time at a much higher octave, "Baaaahhhhrrrrrssssssded..........waaaaaaaaaaaaa." Then, their wailing went into an even higher note until the point where a coffee mug on the counter shattered, and Lisa's dog started howling.

Honestly, it took me five minutes to decipher what they were caterwauling about.

So, I was about to cut my losses and head back to Birmingham, but Lisa insisted I stay. So, then, we go out that night, and the place was like a tomb. The only people in the bars were really mean drunks, who were really pissed off because Baaaahhhhrrrrrssssssded. While I recognized the solemnity of the moment, I guess I just didn't look sad enough, because I nearly got my ass kicked because I picked some lighthearted music on the jukebox. What's more, Lisa's sorority friends all showed wearing black, not to mention enough mascara to keep the circus going. There wasn't a cheek in that place that wasn't streaked with Maybeillene.

Finally, I couldn't take it any more. Lisa and I headed back to her apartment. But her roommate was there watching the news about Baaaahhhhrrrrrssssssdeath, so Lisa had to console her. I never did get laid that night. In fact, it took several more months for us to get together and, by then, the chemistry was lost.

Reason #32452346 to hate Bama: posthumous cockblocking

Everyday Should Be Saturday has a masterful story about the event. The first 40 comments are full of solemn head-nodding before an Auburn fan threadcraps over the whole thing:

Great writing, Orson.

I think most of us AU fans have love-hate attitudes toward the bahr. Although he was a one heluva winning bastard (tough task with 200 scholarship players), the impression he left with the unwashed masses in the heart of Dixie has ruined their program. His legacy created an expectation level that has crushed nearly every subsequent bama coach before they could produce any forward momentum. To the bammers, every coach is without a doubt the next bahr and every QB, the next Namath or Stabler. The glory days are back in every pre-season. Then they go 7-6 and price of bricks sees an up-tick in Tuscaloosa. For this, I am truly thankful.

Tonight, I’ll pour out a shot of Dickel for you, Bahr — you ******* bastard.

I lolled. Pure Grade A entertainment.

Everyday Should Be Saturday has a masterful story about the event. The first 40 comments are full of solemn head-nodding before an Auburn fan threadcraps over the whole thing:

Great writing, Orson.

I think most of us AU fans have love-hate attitudes toward the bahr. Although he was a one heluva winning bastard (tough task with 200 scholarship players), the impression he left with the unwashed masses in the heart of Dixie has ruined their program. His legacy created an expectation level that has crushed nearly every subsequent bama coach before they could produce any forward momentum. To the bammers, every coach is without a doubt the next bahr and every QB, the next Namath or Stabler. The glory days are back in every pre-season. Then they go 7-6 and price of bricks sees an up-tick in Tuscaloosa. For this, I am truly thankful.

Tonight, I’ll pour out a shot of Dickel for you, Bahr — you ******* bastard.

I lolled. Pure Grade A entertainment.

HAHA thanks for posting that.

"What?"

Reason #32452346 to hate Bama: posthumous cockblocking

Ok... that one needed a keyboard warning! I laughed so hard at this story and subsequent comment that I couldn't catch my breath for a few minutes. Thanks for the entertainment!!

Archived