Potomac Primaries Results

RunInRed

Obama wins Virginia

01_feb5.jpg

Networks are calling it a "substantial" win. Exit polls: Obama won majority of white men (55 percent) huge majority of blacks, big support from the DC suburbs. His lead amongst white men is undermining Hillary's "lead with women"--he won 58% of the female vote in Virginia.

UPDATE: Barack Obama did well with Virginia Democrats across both race and gender lines, and seems to be eating away at Hillary Clinton's backbone of support: women.

According to exit polls, Obama won nearly 60 percent of the female vote, a demographic that has carried Clinton to success in past primaries.

Clinton even fared worse among men in Virginia – more than two-thirds chose Obama.

Meanwhile, the Illinois senator scored his highest percentage of African-American support to date — winning close to 90 percent of that voting bloc. And the two evenly split the white vote as whole, even though in past primaries Clinton has held a slight edge among white voters.

The only demographic Clinton won in Virginia was among white women, who broke for her over Obama by 10 points. But that margin is significantly smaller than the national average on Super Tuesday. She beat Obama among white women by 25 points then, according to national exit polls.

Final margin of victory should be interesting.

To all my Republican friends: Change is coming :)

Man, with about 46% in, Virginia is tiiiiiight. McCain 46%, Huckabee 45%. The social conservative wing of the party is giving McCain a bloody nose all the way to the convention.

Where did Virginia Republicans go? I recognize that the state's trending Democratic, but it's voted for the GOP candidate in ten consecutive Presidential elections. Either VA Repubs are that disgusted with their candidates, or the state party is in much more trouble than they would like to believe. With 47% of the precincts reporting, the two Dems have received 354,045 votes to the Republicans' 205,080.

Man, with about 46% in, Virginia is tiiiiiight. McCain 46%, Huckabee 45%. The social conservative wing of the party is giving McCain a bloody nose all the way to the convention.

And laying out the template for the invitations to Obama or Clinton's inaugural ball in doing so. Delaying the inevitable can only hurt them in November.

One thing to keep in mind, this was an open primary so independents and even moderate republicans could vote for democrats. So this could have possibly stripped the party down to a pretty conservative base, which is probably why we saw a competitive race. Even still, McCain wins Virginia...just called by CNN. Winner-take-all delegates I believe.

Any one see both Obama's and McCain's victory speeches? Quite a contrast.

Guess not...anywho - the scenes were quite a contrast. McCain was in a hotel state room with a couple hundred people. He was on a stage surrounded by old white men and blue hairs. Obama addressed a crowd of about 20k in Madison, WI. The crowd was young and old, white and black and about as diverse as you would imagine.

McCain started every other sentence with "my friends" and interjected that artificial laugh every once in a while....enough to drive at least me crazy. He gave his same old stump speech about he was a conservative man. I've never seen a bigger effort to try to rebrand yourself (again). One day he's a moderate who will work across partisan divides, the next day he's a full blood conservative. Really, all he needs to do is insert this into his speech: "i'm a good christian conservative man" and the transformation will be complete. I suppose then the Republican bandwagon will be full.

Obama interestingly enough, went right after the presumptive nominee. His speech provided some pretty good insight as to what the debate will be like heading into November. Some of my favorite lines included:

We have now won east and west, north and south, and across the heartland of this country we love. We have given young people a reason to believe, and brought folks back to the polls who want to believe again. And we are bringing together Democrats and Independents and Republicans; blacks and whites; Latinos and Asians; small states and big states; Red States and Blue States into a United States of America.

This is the new American majority. This is what change looks like when it happens from the bottom up. And in this election, your voices will be heard.

It’s a game where Democrats and Republicans fail to come together year after year after year, while another mother goes without health care for her sick child. That’s why we have to put an end to the division and distraction in Washington, so that we can unite this nation around a common purpose, a higher purpose.

It’s a game where the only way for Democrats to look tough on national security is by talking, and acting and voting like Bush-McCain Republicans, while our troops are sent to fight tour after tour of duty in a war that should’ve never been authorized and should’ve never been waged. That’s what happens when we use 9/11 to scare up votes, and that’s why we need to do more than end a war – we need to end the mindset that got us into war.

That’s the choice in this primary. It’s about whether we choose to play the game, or whether we choose to end it; it’s change that polls well, or change we can believe in; it’s the past versus the future. And when I’m the Democratic nominee for President – that will be the choice in November.

John McCain is an American hero. We honor his service to our nation. But his priorities don’t address the real problems of the American people, because they are bound to the failed policies of the past.

George Bush won’t be on the ballot this November, but his war and his tax cuts for the wealthy will.

When I am the nominee, I will offer a clear choice. John McCain won’t be able to say that I ever supported this war in Iraq, because I opposed it from the beginning. Senator McCain said the other day that we might be mired for a hundred years in Iraq, which is reason enough to not give him four years in the White House.

If we had chosen a different path, the right path, we could have finished the job in Afghanistan, and put more resources into the fight against bin Laden; and instead of spending hundreds of billions of dollars in Baghdad, we could have put that money into our schools and hospitals, our road and bridges – and that’s what the American people need us to do right now.

And I admired Senator McCain when he stood up and said that it offended his “conscience” to support the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy in a time of war; that he couldn’t support a tax cut where “so many of the benefits go to the most fortunate.” But somewhere along the road to the Republican nomination, the Straight Talk Express lost its wheels, because now he’s all for them.

Well I’m not. We can’t keep spending money that we don’t have in a war that we shouldn’t have fought. We can’t keep mortgaging our children’s future on a mountain of debt. We can’t keep driving a wider and wider gap between the few who are rich and the rest who struggle to keep pace. It’s time to turn the page.

We need a new direction in this country. Everywhere I go, I meet Americans who can’t wait another day for change. They’re not just showing up to hear a speech – they need to know that politics can make a difference in their lives, that it’s not too late to reclaim the American Dream.

Archived