AFL-CIO Takes Aim at McCain

RunInRed

The vetting has just begun...

art.afl-cio.cnn.jpg

(CNN) — John McCain better get used to seeing AFL-CIO members at his campaign events.

The major labor organization launched a $53 million campaign Wednesday that takes direct aim at presumptive Republican presidential nominee and includes union protesters following him every step of the way as he campaigns for the White House.

"Everywhere John McCain goes in the coming months, union activists will be there to confront him on his economic positions and plans and demand that he speaks to working families' concerns," Karen Ackerman, the AFL-CIO's political director, said during a conference call.

The protests are part of a wide-ranging and unprecedented grassroots effort that will include mobilization efforts, direct mailings, e-mail, and a just-launched anti-McCain Web site.

The effort, called "McCain Revealed," aims to educate voters on the Arizona Republican senator's record, which the labor group says has been consistently anti-working families. It will consist of activity in 23 states and reach 13 million voters, Ackerman said.

“It’s clear that John McCain hopes to conduct his campaign without ever having to explain his economic priorities to working people,” Ackerman also said. “Public opinion polls show the economy is the top concern of voters, yet Sen. McCain has said very little about his economic positions and, as a result, working families know very little about where he stands on pocketbook concerns. That all changes today.”

A Republican National Committee spokesman called on both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton to denounce the AFL-CIO's efforts, saying it would be consistent with both senators' denunciations of special interest groubs.

“The AFL-CIO’s campaign against John McCain clearly demonstrates their priorities lie in attack politics as opposed to focusing on American families," RNC spokesman Alex Conant said. "Voters looking for something new will find it in John McCain’s campaign to help working families – not the AFL-CIO’s partisan attacks"

The labor organization — consisting of 56 member unions — could not agree on a presidential candidate to endorse this cycle and has allowed each of its members to make individual endorsements. So far, Clinton edges out Obama among endorsements from AFL-CIO members.

What a bunch of worthless thugs.

$ 53 MILLION ? Think of how better they could have spent their union dues, oh I don't know..maybe helping out their members???

You're new to politics, aren't you? Because, otherwise, you'd realize how predictable this is. Can we all let out a collective yawn? Or maybe run an article, stating "Sun rises in east." In fact, the shocker would be if the AFL CIO didn't hand over the endorsement to a Democrat. I think George Meaney actually endorsed Richard Nixon against McGovern in 1972, in one of the strangest moments of American political history.

Given how union membership in this country has plummeted like a paralyzed falcon over the past forty years, I'm amazed they have any credence at all in the coming election.

What a bunch of worthless thugs.

$ 53 MILLION ? Think of how better they could have spent their union dues, oh I don't know..maybe helping out their members???

Their argument would probably be that this is helping out their members by supporting candidates/positions who embrace their views.

I would like a McCain supporter to explain to me his economic policy/plan. JM has admitted himself that the economy is not his strong point and he has taking stances on both sides of the economic debate throughout his years. So what's his economic flavor of the month during this campaign? Anyone know?

I would like a McCain supporter to explain to me his economic policy/plan. JM has admitted himself that the economy is not his strong point and he has taking stances on both sides of the economic debate throughout his years. So what's his economic flavor of the month during this campaign? Anyone know?

Well, aside from cutting Federal spending, doing absolutely nothing would be a superior plan that the wholesale reversion to Keynesianism that Obama supports.

They keep saying he's unfavorable to "American working families" yet never give any specifics.

I would like a McCain Obama supporter to explain to me his economic policy/plan. JM has admitted himself that the economy is not his strong point and he has taking stances on both sides of the economic debate throughout his years. So what's his economic flavor of the month during this campaign? Anyone know?

What's his plan besides Hope? Remember, if he doesn't mandate 50mpg car minimums for every Auto manufacturer...you've gotta be ready to protest him.

They keep saying he's unfavorable to "American working families" yet never give any specifics.

I would like a McCain Obama supporter to explain to me his economic policy/plan. JM has admitted himself that the economy is not his strong point and he has taking stances on both sides of the economic debate throughout his years. So what's his economic flavor of the month during this campaign? Anyone know?

What's his plan besides Hope? Remember, if he doesn't mandate 50mpg car minimums for every Auto manufacturer...you've gotta be ready to protest him.

Do you need anything other than hope? If you say it enough, and get enough Hollywood people to back you because you talk about it all the time, isn't that enough? Do you really need to have any ideas other than the latest buzzwords "hope", "change" and "Oprah"?

Do you need anything other than hope? If you say it enough, and get enough Hollywood people to back you because you talk about it all the time, isn't that enough? Do you really need to have any ideas other than the latest buzzwords "hope", "change" and "Oprah"?

yes, you need higher taxes and a bigger government than the current one to ensure hope

Archived