Bammer Spring Game

LegalEagle

I think the CBS guys pumped Moreno up because the CBS games he had against UF/AU were two of his best games and he was passing a few players every week (Such as Jamal Lewis, etc...) for most yards by a freshman RB

As for whether the Moreno/Stafford debate, I don't think you would find a single UGA fan who thinks Stafford made Moreno better but the other way around.

I haven't said Moreno is one of the SEC best ever nor do I think he is a lock for anything in 2008. But, I don't know how someone can say that he is ok "big picture" wise for SEC RB's. He is strong as hell, quick to the sides, and tough as heck to bring down. He also showed up every time we needed him in big games

Also, look at the OL that Moreno was running behind....3 freshman...2 of which were true freshman.

I won't even tough the Walker/Jackson debate....Moreno isn't near them

Moreno IS the "REAL DEAL". He runs as hard as any back I have ever seen as has a lot of talent to go with his desire.

Reminds me of a stronger version of Carnel Williams.

He's not stronger than Carnell. Not even close actually. I'd say it's the other way around: Caddy was stronger and shockingly Knowshon is quicker. Carnell was the power back in our backfield. He was a stronger runner than Ronnie B, highlights aside.

I will say that I just completely disagree with aumd on this one, but I don't think we're going to change our opinions. I think Knowshon is on Carnell's level, and I don't think I've seen two elite running backs with more similar styles in my lifetime... makes it odd that they played so close together. I'd say since 2000 the best backs I've seen in the SEC, the guys I'd call elite are (in no order): McFadden, Cadillac, Brown, Rudi, and Moreno. Each of those guys showed/shows truly special skill sets, and only Rudi was really a one dimensional type guy (but goodness what a special player).

The only other guys I'd really consider close are Felix Jones (never shouldered the load like Ronnie had to do so we don't know how he was as a feature guy), Jerious Norwood (just played on such crappy teams that it takes something away), Cedric Cobbs (talent was elite but he got in his own way... complete headcase), and MAYBE Kenny Irons (more of a big game player than an elite talent to me, but there is something to be said for the guy that elevates his game like that).

I think it is a compliment for people to say he is the next Carnell

Many UGA fans say the same thing

Shows the type of high reputation Carnell Williams left to even his rivals

I think the CBS guys pumped Moreno up because the CBS games he had against UF/AU were two of his best games and he was passing a few players every week (Such as Jamal Lewis, etc...) for most yards by a freshman RB

As for whether the Moreno/Stafford debate, I don't think you would find a single UGA fan who thinks Stafford made Moreno better but the other way around.

I haven't said Moreno is one of the SEC best ever nor do I think he is a lock for anything in 2008. But, I don't know how someone can say that he is ok "big picture" wise for SEC RB's. He is strong as hell, quick to the sides, and tough as heck to bring down. He also showed up every time we needed him in big games

Also, look at the OL that Moreno was running behind....3 freshman...2 of which were true freshman.

I won't even tough the Walker/Jackson debate....Moreno isn't near them

I agree he is comparable to carnell. I think Moreno is definitely the best back in the league now that McFadden is gone. But there aren't as many run oriented offenses any more either. UF, UK, USC, AU now, are all pass happy offenses. But its not fair to even have Moreno in the same class with McFadden in my opinion. McFadden completely shouldered the load with no other offense around him. I think Carnell was a more balanced runner and had better body control, and Moreno has a little more power and definitely runs with more forward lean. As for that offensive line being young, yes they are young, but they are also pretty good, and a reason I expect UGA to do well for the next few years. You have a solid foundation offensively with line, QB and RB.

I think when you list good RB's for the last few years, Addai has to be in that list. And he's proven at the next level that he's legit.

I didn't mean to imply that Stafford made Moreno better, but it is a mutually beneficial relationship. A running game helps stafford and staffords increased maturity and confidence makes the running game more potent. But to compare that to Dixon and Wesley Carroll, its no comparison. Dixon is shouldering the load there. Also, Norwood was a pretty good back to, and you can't dismiss because he played on crappy teams. In my opinion McFadden played on crappy teams, but he was just that good that he made them that much better.

There is no way that Knowshon is overrated. He is the best in the SEC, a league that continuously rolls out RB's. He's got it all: power, speed, vision, elusiveness, emotion that inspires the other players. That dude is amazing.

To try to figure out if he is better than Cadillac is ridiculous, precisely because they are so similar. The incredible thing is that he will get better! I love watching him 11 out of 12 games/year.

The comparison with Dixon isn't even close. Ben Tate is better than Dixon. I like Dixon. He is a powerful kid who doesn't give up. His skill level just isn't in the top tier, though he may be more valuable to his team than any other SEC RB.

There is no way that Knowshon is overrated. He is the best in the SEC, a league that continuously rolls out RB's. He's got it all: power, speed, vision, elusiveness, emotion that inspires the other players. That dude is amazing.

I'm not sure I'd say he has it all just yet. I agree with everything you said above, but I feel he does have one area to prove himself. He will have to pick up where he left off. He'll have to meet the high expectations he has laid the groundwork for. Is he capable of that? Without a doubt in my mind. Will he? We'll have to see.

To try to figure out if he is better than Cadillac is ridiculous, precisely because they are so similar. The incredible thing is that he will get better! I love watching him 11 out of 12 games/year.

Agreed......he is very similar to CW as most agree. I am in the .0004% of the fans that was not a full blown CW fan while he was here. I liked RB 20000 times better. CW seemed to just not always give it his all if we were in a dreary situation (fortunately there were not many in his career though)

The comparison with Dixon isn't even close. Ben Tate is better than Dixon. I like Dixon. He is a powerful kid who doesn't give up. His skill level just isn't in the top tier, though he may be more valuable to his team than any other SEC RB.

That is precisely what it is. Not only do we and UGA have multiple weapons, they are all good compared across the nation. For example, I'm sure Texas, Cal, Boise State or whoever would love to have our 3rd stringer. Also, Dixon at UGA or AU or South Carolina may not show himself as so impressive. He fits the exact mold to what MSU needs and does it well. On that note, a KM or BL may not shine as well at MSU. It is all about matching the individual talents w/the offensive schemes (whichever order you prefer to do it).

Couldn't agree more.

Did someone just imply that Carnell Williams didn't run hard when the team was bad? I'm baffled.

Anyone remember that horrid offense we trotted out in 2001? Yet Carnell took that carcass to a win in Athens by totting the rock 40+ times in one game (and a 60 yard screen pass to top it off).

Anyone remember that bomb of a season in 2003 that Carnell helped salvage by lifting the team against UT (the "go crazy" arm pump debut)?

Anyone remember Carnell literally single-handedly taking over the Ole Miss game running, receiving, and punt returning when the whole team was lifeless?

GOOOOOD GOSH. If there is anything you canNOT say about Caddy... it's that he didn't give it his all. That's mind blowing.

anyone know how he is healing? I heard that Carnell stated he would be able to possibly play this year. He thinks he is healing well. My wife is a huge Tampa Bay fan so I hope he can make a comeback.

Anyone read any news about him?

Archived