Bammer Spring Game

LegalEagle

I saw a little more of the Bammer Spring Game last night. Bammer was throwing about 80% - 90% of the time. Does this accurately reflect what their 08 offense will be?

I thought they looked pretty good. Their secondary made some good plays on pass defense. We should take note of that.

They had a good mix of short, medium and deep pass plays. The receivers dropped several balls they should have caught.

I didn't notice much in the running game which impressed me. Maybe they have a good rushing defense?

If you want to see a huge SEC lineman, just look at one standing next to Satan. It's like King Kong and Opie.

Satan stood on the field behind the offense while they played. He almost got creamed late in the first half.

Even though it was a spring game, they looked respectable to me.

We looked decent. It's tough to get a true feel for the team in the spring game.

Our offensive line looked horrible. Granted, the defensive front looked 10,000 times better than they did last year. Some of the younger defensive linemen have really bulked up over the past year or two and are now ready to contribute. Tyler Love may be forced to start, and that wouldn't be a good sign at all.

The linebackers looked weak. Jerrell Harris, as BG mentioned, may have the opportunity to start from day one. Again, you obviously never want a freshman starting from day one. Emma Sansom and Clemson are two different animals.

The receiving corps no longer has Hall and Brown, but Hanks and Maze showed some serious potential. Earl Alexander can emerge as a big target along with some of the incoming freshmen.

Tight end will be a strong area. Nick Walker's a solid player and GA Tech transfer Colin Peek looked good, as well.

As much as I've bashed Terry Grant, he looked to have improved his speed and shiftiness over the offseason. He won't be near the top of the SEC in rushing yards, but mixing his carries with Coffee's, Goode's and Upchurch's should be enough to give us an acceptable ground game.

If I had to predict a win total, I'd give us 7-8. I'm guessing we'll beat a team we probably shouldn't, while stumping our toe against a team we should beat. We're going to be more talented than year's past, but that talent will be VERY green and untested. As much as it pains me to say it, 2008 will be another rebuilding year. I think we're a class away from competing for the division title.

As Win says it is hard to tell. You are playing yourself. This applies to all teams. That being said, running game did not do much, but that may have been the plan. O-line did not stand out. I believe that the d-line still has problems with quality of players and depth including the ends.

I believe they have a 2nd tier QB. He can make throws , but he will miss as many as he hits and throw into coverage. Always has. If he hasn't learned that yet, he is not going to now.

Saban said that the plan was to pass more than we ran to get the young receivers some good looks...and to put some pressure on our young secondary.

I think we are better pass blocking than run blocking, and that may also be why. I also think they are trying to save Grant a lot of contact until the real season starts.

The defensive line did look improved, I still think we will see some freshmen play there. Plus, some of our more talented DEs have had to move back and play at the Jack LB position, which thins out your Dline.

I think we will be excellent on special teams. Our punter is coming around, we have a very good kicker, and our return game has been good.

JP seems to be doing a better job of going through his progressions. I wish he had better awareness of where the pocket is though, seems like he's too quick to bail and roll out when there's pressure.

I believe they have a 2nd tier QB. He can make throws , but he will miss as many as he hits and throw into coverage. Always has. If he hasn't learned that yet, he is not going to now.

I agree.

McElroy and Darrah really surprised me. If Wilson has another season like he did in 2007, he won't finish #1. I think those guys are good enough to knock him off if he struggles.

I just think we're starting to look like a more complete team. That doesn't necessarily translate into wins, but we seem to have more depth, albeit untested, at most positions. We're about a year away from competing with the SEC elite.

We're about a year away from competing with the SEC elite.

:no:

silly bammer. Those days are over and they aint never gonna return.

(SIX IN A ROW! SEVENS COMIN TOO!)

Don't be a blind homer.

Don't twist my words, either. I said Alabama will be competing with the LSU's, Georgia's, and yes, even Auburn's of the league in a year or so. I never said we'll rip off eight of the next ten conference championships like we did in the 1970s or that we'll beat you nine straight times. "Competing with" and "consistently beating" are two different ideas.

Put down the party line of "that isn't going to happen again!!!" while you listen to my actual argument and not your perception of it.

Alabama, 1958-1982, isn't going to happen to any program and while that level of success should always be the goal, it should never be expected by any fan base.

Alabama needs to stop putting so much on Wilson's shoulders and get him into more I formations and out of the shotgun so much. Alabama will not go anywhere with Wilson throwing it so much

Establish the running game and go from there.

I am mystified why Alabama continues trying to throw it so much.

I read TideFans report of the game and the RB review was very poor, imo. Is Bama really not in possession of a rock-star at RB?

Alabama needs to stop putting so much on Wilson's shoulders and get him into more I formations and out of the shotgun so much. Alabama will not go anywhere with Wilson throwing it so much

Establish the running game and go from there.

I read TideFans report of the game and the RB review was very poor, imo. Is Bama really not in possession of a rock-star at RB?

As inconsistent as he may be, the passing game has been more efficient than the running game the past two seasons.

I'm pretty high on the freshman RBs coming in, but once again, they're freshman.

Our current RBs would be toting clip boards at Mississippi State. Every last one of them.

Our current RBs would be toting clip boards at Mississippi State. Every last one of them.

WC, you get the "man-up" award for that post. Very seldom do you get something that forthcoming on a rival's site. I think Upchurch and Grant are pretty decent. But you may be right, if they were my starters, I'd be a little worried. Compare them anyone to Mareno and they all fade away. We get rid of D-Mac and then have to play Moreno. Life aint fair sometimes.

Alabama needs to stop putting so much on Wilson's shoulders and get him into more I formations and out of the shotgun so much. Alabama will not go anywhere with Wilson throwing it so muchEstablish the running game and go from there.

And their new coordinator runs his offense primarily out of the shotgun....... B)

Terry Grant wouldn't be toting a clip board. Though he's probably not durable enough to be a feature back for anyone.

Terry Grant wouldn't be toting a clip board. Though he's probably not durable enough to be a feature back for anyone.

He'd be the third down back at best. There's no way he would start over Dixon.

Oh I agree he wouldn't start over Dixon. That guy is a beast. But he would be brought in for a change of pace or any time they needed a back to play in space (no i wasn't trying to rhyme)

Oh I agree he wouldn't start over Dixon. That guy is a beast. But he would be brought in for a change of pace or any time they needed a back to play in space (no i wasn't trying to rhyme)

I agree. I know southlink and the rest of the dawg fans might disagree but I think he's the best RB in the SEC. Love to watch that guy run......

I've never been all that impressed with him.

I hope like hell he proves me wrong, but he's too little for me. I'm a fan of the bigger Shaun Alexander, Arian Foster, Brandon Jacobs type 'backs. He'd get a few carries at MSU, but would be no competition for Dixon or Ducre.

Oh, and Moreno > Dixon.

I agree. I know southlink and the rest of the dawg fans might disagree but I think he's the best RB in the SEC. Love to watch that guy run......

Won't disagree.

Moreno has a lot of pressure on him coming into this year with basically the same OL/QB

We will see how good/great he is in 2008

Oh, and Moreno > Dixon.

Can't go wrong with either........

No doubt, i think everyone would like to have either one of those two on their team.

Are we really making the argument that Anthony Dixon is on Moreno's level? Really? Is this the "I'm tired of saying Cadillac is the best back in the SEC every year so I wanna pick someone else" thing kicking in already? Moreno is the best running back in the SEC by far.

There is a second tier that includes Dixon and probably Arian Foster.

There is a third tier that's not far behind and could make the leap with Lester, Tate, Keiland Williams, and I'd toss in Cory Boyd (if he's healthy).

But none of those second or third tier guys are on Moreno's level. He's special. Even if his production dips, it doesn't mean he's any less talented. Caddy's dipped when he became the focus of the universe on our offense, but that just means wider throwing lanes and more opportunities for everyone else (Ronnie Brown for us and Caleb King for you). I will always maintain that Ronnie needed Carnell more than vice versa AND that Reggie Bust needed LenDale White more than vice versa. Moreno is a star and a workhorse and BY FAR the best back in the SEC, even if he doesn't lead the conference in rushing.

Are we really making the argument that Anthony Dixon is on Moreno's level? Really? Is this the "I'm tired of saying Cadillac is the best back in the SEC every year so I wanna pick someone else" thing kicking in already? Moreno is the best running back in the SEC by far.

There is a second tier that includes Dixon and probably Arian Foster.

There is a third tier that's not far behind and could make the leap with Lester, Tate, Keiland Williams, and I'd toss in Cory Boyd (if he's healthy).

But none of those second or third tier guys are on Moreno's level. He's special. Even if his production dips, it doesn't mean he's any less talented. Caddy's dipped when he became the focus of the universe on our offense, but that just means wider throwing lanes and more opportunities for everyone else (Ronnie Brown for us and Caleb King for you). I will always maintain that Ronnie needed Carnell more than vice versa AND that Reggie Bust needed LenDale White more than vice versa. Moreno is a star and a workhorse and BY FAR the best back in the SEC, even if he doesn't lead the conference in rushing.

I'll take that one on. Dixon runs against defenses knowing the run is coming. Moreno has a pretty good passing attack to give him some balance. I think Moreno is good, I don't think he's as good as advertised. Dixon is a more consistent back but won't really be a game breaker. But Moreno can't put a game on his back like Dixon can. I still think Moreno is probably better, but not by that much. I think Lester is one of the best backs in the conference. He runs hard, catches well, he's just had a young line last year and hasn't really been the feature back. Give him a full year, he'll impress a lot of people. His ability between the tackles is incredible for his size and quickness.

I think Moreno is good, I don't think he's as good as advertised

How so? I am actually interested in hearing why. I don't say this in a bad way, I think Moreno is the best RB we have had since Garrison Hearst but I do think Moreno is getting just ridiculous expectations from some

But Moreno can't put a game on his back like Dixon can.

This, I do NOT agree with whatsoever. Moreno was the darn fuse that keep our offense on the field against UF and was a trigger on a few drives against Okla State AND South Carolina.

He had the team on his back and IMO is the reason Stafford improved so much as did our WR's

Yeah, that was the part that caught my eye too. I'm not sure what else Moreno could've done to put the team on his back, and I'm not sure what else he could do to prove his consistency.

Moreno had 20 carries or more in 6 games and ran for over 100 yards in every game except the season opener (20 carries for 70 yards). He was the only healthy back for basically 3 games: Vandy (28 carries and 157 yards), Florida (33 carries and 188 yards with 3 TDs), and Troy (26 carries and 196 yards with 3 TDs). That stretch proves his durability AND his ability to control a game (the win of UF was all about Knowshon). He followed the stretch with the fantastic Auburn game and another 100 yard game against UK.

Dixon on the other hand showed is durability with 20 carries or more in 9 games, but he also showed his ceiling by clipping the 100 yard mark on 4 times. He also only had one game where he had to tote the ball 30+ times (same number as Moreno). Dixon's best stretch was was four 100 yard games in a six game stretch including the Auburn and Tennessee games.

Look Dixon is a really solid back. He's a workhorse, and MSU needs a guy like that. BUT that doesn't mean he's on the level of a guy like Moreno (who is also a workhorse but just doesn't come off that way b/c of his incredible cutting and homerun ability). UGA didn't take off until he hit the scene, and that's no coincidence.

And I love Lester. He's electric. But I also see his limits. The fact that you had to qualify "for his size" shows you one of his limitations. He and Ben are great together. I think either of those guys has the talent to make the leap to tier two. I'm not sure that either guy has the chops to be an All-American (which I reserve for tier one).

I think Moreno is good, I don't think he's as good as advertised

How so? I am actually interested in hearing why. I don't say this in a bad way, I think Moreno is the best RB we have had since Garrison Hearst but I do think Moreno is getting just ridiculous expectations from some

But Moreno can't put a game on his back like Dixon can.

This, I do NOT agree with whatsoever. Moreno was the darn fuse that keep our offense on the field against UF and was a trigger on a few drives against Okla State AND South Carolina.

He had the team on his back and IMO is the reason Stafford improved so much as did our WR's

First of all, few backs, with the exception of those like Darren McFadden or Adrain Peterson are as good as advertised. To listen to a CBS game, you'd think Moreno was Hershel Walker.

Its a bit of a chicken or the egg quesiton. Its hard to say that Moreno helped Stafford or that Stafford helped Moreno. I think you are selling your QB short. You've got a pretty darn good playmaker under center. If I remember correctly, it wasn't Moreno that beat us these past two years. It was Stafford. I'm not saying Moreno isn't good. I just think in the big picture of SEC backs, he's ok. No offense, but its been slim pickens in the UGA backfield for the last few years. You don't have much to compare to as far as a feature back goes. Mostly RB by committee. He's no McFadden. I'm not sure he's as good as Cadillac or Ronnie. Is he the best back in the last 10 years, yeah. But besides Musa Smith, who's really been great, and even he was mediocre. I don't think he's that much better than Lester when Lester is healthy. The SEC doesn't really have any great backs right now since McFadden left. McFadden, Bo, Walker, those guys are once a decade type guys. Those are the great backs that deserve the CBS montage.

Yeah, that was the part that caught my eye too. I'm not sure what else Moreno could've done to put the team on his back, and I'm not sure what else he could do to prove his consistency.

Moreno had 20 carries or more in 6 games and ran for over 100 yards in every game except the season opener (20 carries for 70 yards). He was the only healthy back for basically 3 games: Vandy (28 carries and 157 yards), Florida (33 carries and 188 yards with 3 TDs), and Troy (26 carries and 196 yards with 3 TDs). That stretch proves his durability AND his ability to control a game (the win of UF was all about Knowshon). He followed the stretch with the fantastic Auburn game and another 100 yard game against UK.

Dixon on the other hand showed is durability with 20 carries or more in 9 games, but he also showed his ceiling by clipping the 100 yard mark on 4 times. He also only had one game where he had to tote the ball 30+ times (same number as Moreno). Dixon's best stretch was was four 100 yard games in a six game stretch including the Auburn and Tennessee games.

Look Dixon is a really solid back. He's a workhorse, and MSU needs a guy like that. BUT that doesn't mean he's on the level of a guy like Moreno (who is also a workhorse but just doesn't come off that way b/c of his incredible cutting and homerun ability). UGA didn't take off until he hit the scene, and that's no coincidence.

And I love Lester. He's electric. But I also see his limits. The fact that you had to qualify "for his size" shows you one of his limitations. He and Ben are great together. I think either of those guys has the talent to make the leap to tier two. I'm not sure that either guy has the chops to be an All-American (which I reserve for tier one).

Moreno's highest number of carries is 33 against Florida this year. We know what a stellar defense that was. Even our offense put up good numbers against them. And are you really gonna use Vandy, Florida, Troy as your gauntlet to prove what a great back someone is. I'm not saying he can't carry the load. What I'm saying is, take away stafford and a passing game and let him carry the load. Because I know Dixon can do it alone. Moreno wouldn't do bad, but its hard to hit homeruns on your 40th carry against an 8 man front.

Archived