Bloomberg Says Summer Gas Tax Holiday is the ‘Dumbest Thing’

RunInRed

I think I said before that McCain was clueless as to how to fix the energy problems this country faces...looks like I'm not the only one who shares that view...

NEW YORK — Mayor Michael Bloomberg called a summer-long suspension of the gas tax favored by Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton and Republican John McCain a dumb idea.

The New York mayor, who flirted with the idea of an independent presidential bid, praised Democrat Barack Obama for opposing the plan to suspend the 18.4 cent federal gas tax and 24.2 cent diesel tax during the peak driving months of the summer.

All three candidates covet Bloomberg’s endorsement. The mayor has spoken highly of Obama and McCain in introducing the two at recent events in New York.

Speaking to reporters at City Hall, Bloomberg said of the gas tax holiday, “It’s about the dumbest thing I’ve heard in an awful long time, from an economic point of view. We’re trying to discourage people from driving and we’re trying to end our energy dependence … and we’re trying to have more money to build infrastructure.”

He cited those three reasons for opposing the gas tax holiday favored by McCain and Clinton. Obama has said the savings would not be significant for the average individual, and Bloomberg agreed.

“The 30 bucks is not going to change anybody’s lifestyle,” he said. “The billions of dollars that we would otherwise have in tax revenues can make a big difference as to what kind of a world we leave our children.”

The billionaire mayor said in February that he had decided not to run for president but has dangled the possibility of his endorsement. The Democrat-turned-Republican-turned-independent has ties to all three candidates.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/05/01/bl...-dumbest-thing/

But what's he say about Summer Glau???

SummerGlau.jpg

Do you think she is a "fully functional" terminator? And if so, why would John Connor ever fool with anything else? AHHH.....Memories of Cherry 2000.

Oh yeah. Bloomberg's an idiot.

If thats brooke burke she has become far too thin. At least that picture makes it look that way.

UHHH. "Summer Glau" is her name. Not some drink for hot weather. ...ALTHOUGH...

If thats brooke burke she has become far too thin. At least that picture makes it look that way.

UHHH. "Summer Glau" is her name. Not some drink for hot weather. ...ALTHOUGH...

Okay, I couldn't figure out what the heck "Summer Glau" was referring to. Never heard the name. Someone throw her a biscuit. She looks a lot like brook burke only not nearly as attractive as brook was in her prime (and maybe still, I don't know.)

Summer is young. After having a couple of babies, she too will fill out perfectly.

And Bloomberg don't know squat about Summer, or squat.

Damn yankee bastage.

sure it's not going to solve anything. it's a band-aid at best.

i'd like to see this past and be used as a momentum swing to actually begin something toward energy independence.

the number being thrown around is that it'll save us about $30 the whole summer. I'd like to see it as since the diesel will get the break too, it will help contain grocery prices and other things.

and i know the way gas prices have increased, it's likely to go up at least $.20 in perhaps less than a month.

people, there's no short term solution to this.

we are a generation behind on the issue of energy.

gas prices are hurting people, but not enough to make a difference in traffic on the highways. when the manufacturing of the hummer shuts down along with other elegant SUVS' and we're in a recession, then, we'll see the United States gas consumption go down.

$2.00 gas will not be present on the first Wed. of November or in late January of 09.

More on the gas tax holiday nonsense. From Meet the Press this morning. Some one tell me where Obama is wrong here...I think he has it right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSYIR2fCquo

(BTW - why is it so difficult to imbed YouTube videos in posts? Or can some one help me out...) TIA

More on the gas tax holiday nonsense. From Meet the Press this morning. Some one tell me where Obama is wrong here...I think he has it right...

Lowering the gas tax just to give everyday working people a short break, yep that sounds like something dims would not be for. :thumbsup:

...I think he has it right...

Tell us something we didn't already know. :P

You realize this is a political gimmick right? Nothing more than an election year political band-aid that would save the average person about $30 bucks or a half a tank of gas. Not too mention, the oil companies are very likely to fill the "discount vacuum" - did you even watch the clip? This is not a solution, it's a joke and you have fallen for it in your blind allegiance to the repubs.

You realize this is a political gimmick right? Nothing more than an election year political band-aid that would save the average person about $30 bucks or a half a tank of gas. Not too mention, the oil companies are very likely to fill the "discount vacuum" - did you even watch the clip? This is not a solution, it's a joke and you have fallen for it in your blind allegiance to the repubs.

You realize that when Clinton released all that oil from the strategic reserves that it was just a political gimmic right? So why have the dims been screaming to release the reserves?

Your blind allegiance to Obama blinds you to any discussion that is not off his talking points memo isn't it? Pot meet kettle.

ivyleaguebitterness.jpgObamaWright.jpgRevWright-big.jpg

***Official. Again. Dumbest guy on this board.

You have a very low opinion of yourself. Call your therapist.

I know, I know that is some more of Obama "new politics".

You never have any rational arguments. Or counter points. And you never make any attempt to even think. Your idea of a response is clip art and other nonsense you steal from conservative websites. What is this 3rd grade?

How about trying to debate the issues on their merits?

You never have any rational arguments.

You mean like calling names?

***Official. Again. Dumbest guy on this board.

How about trying to debate the issues on their merits?

OK, Obama's spiritual mentor is a racist and Obama has been friends for several years with a domestic terrorist who says he wishes he had done more.

And you never make any attempt to even think.

I think you are an Obamaphile who swoons when hearing Obama preach his meaningless platitudes. You whine and cry at even the slighets mention of anything less than Obama worship.

Your idea of a response is clip art

You mean like this? bushmccain400yl5.jpg

And I didn't even mention your poor spelling.

Bitchslapped. Can I say bitchslapped?

Nobody has ever said a gas tax holiday is THE SOLUTION. If you'll move achmed's hips out of your face, you might see that they are just trying to help out folks. Once again, $30 don't mean much to you, but if the price at the pump drops, it gives consumers more confidence. And right now we are NOT in a recession technically, but you damn libs are pushing like hell to create one so that you can say it's all Bush's fault. Then you're gonna say McCain is Bush-Lite. blaa..blaa.blaa.

I don't think it's wise from a straight fiscal standpoint, but sometimes as a leader you have to do things to allow the folks you are leading to get confidence.

I don't think it's wise from a straight fiscal standpoint, but sometimes as a leader you have to do things to allow the folks you are leading to get confidence.

Otherwise known as "politics."

Look, CCTAU, the proposal of a gas tax holiday is not a solution in any shape, form, or fashion. It's the equivalent of sticking a piece of chewing gum in the levee so the town won't flood. It may help for five or so minutes, but, sooner or later, the waters will come rushing in.

As far as McCain's parroting Bush -- wouldn't that be a positive in your eyes? The man who you still proclaim as a "leader" and tout as a visionary would be receiving a third term when it comes to his policies. I wouldn't think someone like yourself would have any reason to defend McCain on this one. Isn't a Bush-led America, as extreme as it may sound, what you ultimately want?

Look, CCTAU, the proposal of a gas tax holiday is not a solution in any shape, form, or fashion. It's the equivalent of sticking a piece of chewing gum in the levee so the town won't flood. It may help for five or so minutes, but, sooner or later, the waters will come rushing in.

Just to point out the obvious, I think that is why CCTAU said:

Nobody has ever said a gas tax holiday is THE SOLUTION. If you'll move achmed's hips out of your face, you might see that they are just trying to help out folks. Once again, $30 don't mean much to you, but if the price at the pump drops, it gives consumers more confidence. And right now we are NOT in a recession technically, but you damn libs are pushing like hell to create one so that you can say it's all Bush's fault. Then you're gonna say McCain is Bush-Lite. blaa..blaa.blaa.

Just saying for accuracy's sake. :thumbsup:

I think the gas tax holiday is stupid as well. Why reduce tax while at the same time trying to discourage consumption?

I do support the diesel tax holiday however. It would have a trickle down effect of reducing costs on trucking and shipping, farming, and contruction since all are heavily dependent on diesel. And help me get ot the lake with the boat cheaper this summer.

(Proud driver of ford diesel :) )

Got it the first time. Thanks, though.

He says it is not a solution, but then justifies it in the next sentence before going into some tirade about "self-confidence" and other mindless hooey.

It's pretty much his standard post. "Damn you libs and Achmed and oh yeah don't you know boy that George W. Bush hung that there moon?!" Yawn.

Got it the first time. Thanks, though.

He says it is not a solution, but then justifies it in the next sentence before going into some tirade about "self-confidence" and other mindless hooey.

It's pretty much his standard post. "Damn you libs and Achmed and oh yeah don't you know boy that George W. Bush hung that there moon?!" Yawn.

Yep. Just plain bull****. That's why they report on consumer confidence every quarter.

Bammers suck, but there's nothing worse than a stupid bammer.

Having a holiday from the gas tax will cause more harm than good. The highway trust fund is already on the verge of bankruptcy, and any holiday from the gas tax will just put the nail in the coffin of us ever doing any major infrastructure projects for years. If we have a holiday from the gas tax, expect another incident like the one in Minnesota.

Archived