With Obama well on his way to the nomination...

RunInRed

Running Mate  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who should he choose for VP?

• Bill Richardson
    • Kathleen Selebius
    • Tim Kaine
    • Jim Webb
    • Brian Schweitzer
    • Other (Specify)

Some ideas:

Phil Bredesen (Southern white governor)

Wesley Clark (to help with the defense credentials)

Evan Bayh (if the Clinton support can be overcome, a moderate Midwest Democrat)

I think Bill Richardson's timely endorsement (and defection) smacks of backroom dealmaking. In one sense, he's an excellent candidate: Experienced in a host of ways, respected on both sides of the aisle, and from the Southwest, an area where Obama will not have particular strength.

That being said, I think Jim Webb would be a far better choice. He served as Secretary of the Navy under Reagan, he served his country, and his son is currently serving in Iraq. The man is experienced, a Southerner and also far more of a centrist. Probably the perfect candidate to balance the ticket.

As much as Richardson would help with the Latino vote and offset McCain's "backyard" advantage in the swing states of NM and NV, I think most would agree that Obama should go after Webb or Schweitzer. With either comes positives and negatives, though. With Sen. Webb, the GOP will point out that neither have completed a full term in the U.S. Senate. His positives would be his home state, military background, and yes, his race and gender. Schweitzer falls into the same category in regards to experience, as he was elected Governor of Montana the same year Illinois sent Obama to the Senate. He'd be an asset, however, when it comes to bringing the ticket to the center without being an absolute douchebag (talking to you, Joe Lieberman) in going about it. His state, with only 3 electoral votes, doesn't really come into play -- though in addition to an assured win in MT, he may clinch CO and the continue the Democratic gains in the interior west. He could also have appeal in the crucial Midwest and Rust Belt.

My #1 pick would be the candidate I originally supported, John Edwards. Of course, I know that his influence on the outcome of the election would not be guaranteed of swinging the election to Obama. He has about as good of a chance of being selected as Obama's running mate as CCTAU.

Also, I'm fed up of hearing about Kathleen Sebelius. It's great that she is the Governor of overwhelmingly Republican Kansas, but she's not VP material by any stretch of the imagination. She has zero personality, name recognition outside of her state, and can bring nothing to the ticket.

I said Richardson a few months ago, and I'll stick with him now.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but would there be too much "non-whiteness" involved with Obama-Richardson?

In the year either party has a black man or Hispanic on the ticket... both appear. It's accepted by me (welcomed, in fact) but will it be advantageous to the party?

No, I think you're probably right. It's a cynical outlook but I think Richardson or a woman might just be too much "change" all at once for some folks. If he wants the best shot, he's probably gonna have to put a white dude on the ticket with him.

Some ideas:

Phil Bredesen (Southern white governor)

Wesley Clark (to help with the defense credentials)

Evan Bayh (if the Clinton support can be overcome, a moderate Midwest Democrat)

Tim Roemer or Kathleen Selebius.

What about William C. Ayers? <_<

You can dream. :poke:

How about G. Gordon Liddy or Hagee for McCain?

Well at least with them there won't be a picture like this. :poke:

features_ayers1.jpg

I think Kaine or Richardson would make an excellent choice. And I still really like the idea of Biden for Secretary of Defense. I also think it would be a very smart move and give credence to his bipartisan approach to solving problems if he could find some moderate republicans to align himself with. A few names that come to mind: Powell, Hagel, etc.

Wes Clark is a must.

A "must" that needs to be involved with the campaign regardless of his Arkansas connections.

I don't get the fascination with Wes Clark. He does not impress me and definitely has too many ties to the Clintons.

Tex, can I ask what appeal you see in Sebelius? She's a very intelligent person, but comes across as Dick Cheney on Ambien. The very thought of her being on the ticket lulls me to sleep.

As far Clark, '63, you can't argue with a 4 star general, former valedictorian of West Point, and Rhodes Scholar. His resume is more than impressive and his appeal would be broad. I'm not advocating he be chosen as Obama's VP, but rather that he play an active role in the campaign; even more so than he did in '04.

Tex, can I ask what appeal you see in Sebelius? She's a very intelligent person, but comes across as Dick Cheney on Ambien. The very thought of her being on the ticket lulls me to sleep.

As far Clark, '63, you can't argue with a 4 star general, former valedictorian of West Point, and Rhodes Scholar. His resume is more than impressive and his appeal would be broad. I'm not advocating he be chosen as Obama's VP, but rather that he play an active role in the campaign; even more so than he did in '04.

I haven't seen her on the stump, so I'm not sure how she does in that capacity, other than the fact that she's a Dem who has won in deep red Kansas. I think she may help turn out women without HRC's baggage, her dad was Gov. of Ohio so she has ties there, she's Catholic and by most accounts, an effective, popular governor.

I think it will be a Obama/Wright ticket, with William Aires as the Sec. of Def., and George Sorros at Sec. of State.

He can openly pull the military from Iraq, Afganistan, and Korea, and then put them to blowing up the Pentagon, the southern states, and then send them to the border as greaters for the Mexican people.

To be serious, I think Obama would be wise to select a white female as a running mate. If he selects Richardson, then he's sending an even bigger message to the whites in America. He may as well put a sign on his chest that says "Get ready, White America.......payback is a b!#%^

I think it will be a Obama/Wright ticket, with William Aires as the Sec. of Def., and George Sorros at Sec. of State.

He can openly pull the military from Iraq, Afganistan, and Korea, and then put them to blowing up the Pentagon, the southern states, and then send them to the border as greaters for the Mexican people.

To be serious, I think Obama would be wise to select a white female as a running mate. If he selects Richardson, then he's sending an even bigger message to the whites in America. He may as well put a sign on his chest that says "Get ready, White America.......payback is a b!#%^

This post says so much more about you than it does its subject.

It does????? I'm just adding my .0000000000000000000002 cents worth. I liked Obama until the whole Wright thing came out, and then I began to see a pattern of poor judgement and poor associations. I still have to think he's a decent guy. I just think this whole Anti-American sentiment goes deeper than he lets on.

If you want to judge me by a comment that has no basis of personal belief, then so be it.

One more point.......has anyone ever really watched Obama give a speech?????? How many times does he go right to left without ever making eye contact with anyone??????? Just watch and see what I mean. It looks like smoke and mirrors to me.

It looks like he took a look at things and made up his own mind. Unlike you, who have been slurping up the Obama Kool-Aid by the gallon and getting wet at the mere mention of his name. You have a problem with people coming to independent conclusions that don't paint Obama as the shinning savior of mankind don't you?

Obama anti-American? That is hardly any kind of rational view point. While he is surely entitled to his opinion, I'm entitled to point at his reasoning for it (or lack there of) is as flawed as most of the crap you post on this board. You two traffic in more garbage than those on the far left do and that is saying some thing.

Two peas in-a-pod IYAM.

Obama anti-American? That is hardly any kind of rational view point. While he is surely entitled to his opinion, I'm entitled to point at this his reasoning (or lack there of) is as flawed as most of the crap you post on this board. You two traffic in more garbage than those on the far left do and that is saying some thing.

Two peas in-a-pod IYAM.

You deal in ad hominem attacks, truly pathetic. But then that is what I expected from Obamaphiles.

Archived