UAT scholarship issues

AU alum

This was posted on al.com.

"Alabama senior Charles Hoke has decided to be placed a medical scholarship for the 2008 season, meaning he won't count toward the Crimson Tide's 85-man total, according to his father Charlie."

"The Tide is now thought to have 65 players on scholarship, leaving 20 spots for an incoming signing class expected to bring 25."

And now the whole article:

"Shoulder injury takes Charles Hoke off Tide football team

Posted by Gentry Estes, Mobile Press-Register May 01, 2008 10:10 AM

Categories: Football

Hoke played in 24 games during his UA career.A bit of info now on the Press-Register's breaking news page:

Alabama senior Charles Hoke has decided to be placed a medical scholarship for the 2008 season, meaning he won't count toward the Crimson Tide's 85-man total, according to his father Charlie.

The younger Hoke has been hampered by a recurring shoulder injury.

"He's moving forward and looking forward to supporting his team," Charlie Hoke said. "But he won't be on the sideline."

Hoke, a 6-foot-7 former standout at Birmingham's Briarwood Christian, was moved from tight end to the offensive line this past spring. He was hoping to make it through spring practice despite the injury, but his shoulder popped out of place the Monday before last month's A-Day Game.

The team's training staff advised Hoke's family against playing a final season.

"Charles is going to be working on his MBA in the fall," his father said, "and unfortunately, is not going to be able to play. He's very disappointed and working through the feelings and emotions of it, but he's got a bright future. ... The Lord has other plans for him."

The Tide is now thought to have 65 players on scholarship, leaving 20 spots for an incoming signing class expected to bring 25."

Link: http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2008/05/should...s.html#comments

Five more to go.........

The Tide is now thought to have 65 players on scholarship, leaving 20 spots for an incoming signing class expected to bring 25

And they signed 32, correct?

Sounds familiar. Seems like we had a lineman within the last 2-3 years that had to hang it up because of a recurring shoulder problem. Can't recall the name right now.

Uh, I fail to see how Saban did this. Hoke tried to tough it out, and his shoulder wouldn't stay in the socket. I wish him nothing but the best.

Five more to go.........

Three more to go.....

Prince Hall and Zeke Knight might be next..

Wait....I though you bammer fans didn't care. Remember what your Coach told you. Now, y'all better stop caring, or he might get mad. As for the 3 to go? What happened to the other two, or are you saying that Hall and Zeke are the two.

Five more to go.........

Three more to go.....

Wait....I though you bammer fans didn't care. Remember what your Coach told you. Now, y'all better stop caring, or he might get mad. As for the 3 to go? What happened to the other two, or are you saying that Hall and Zeke are the two.

Sorry, got the memo....don't care now.

Five more to go.........

Three more to go.....

Sorry, got the memo....don't care now.

LOL

Five more to go.........

Three more to go.....

I know that I will be slapped for this, but I am just asking a question. I don't have any facts on this, and certainly no links, and that is why I am just asking and not making a statement. When Coach Tuberville first came to Auburn, did he not withdraw some of the scholarships for some Auburn players? I didn't know that these scholarships were reviewed every year and that things like this happen all the time, and Coach Saban is not the first that would do something like this. I really thought when a kid got a scholarship that he had it for 4 years regardless of how he played or didn't play, and that the only reason it would be taken away is because of medical reasons, conduct, or he asked to leave.

Five more to go.........

Three more to go.....

I know that I will be slapped for this, but I am just asking a question. I don't have any facts on this, and certainly no links, and that is why I am just asking and not making a statement. When Coach Tuberville first came to Auburn, did he not withdraw some of the scholarships for some Auburn players? I didn't know that these scholarships were reviewed every year and that things like this happen all the time, and Coach Saban is not the first that would do something like this. I really thought when a kid got a scholarship that he had it for 4 years regardless of how he played or didn't play, and that the only reason it would be taken away is because of medical reasons, conduct, or he asked to leave.

Yes he did. I believe there were 7 that he dismissed during his FIRST summer at Auburn before they played a game. I also remember the Birmingham media roasting him for it, so I guess the general rule is that it's okay after you watch them for a year to see whether or not they are any good on the field since I have heard no bad press as of yet out of Tuscaloosa.

Yes. CTT parted ways with several players after he got there. This is all good for some back and forth and some rivalry smack but it's reality. In this particular case (The subject of the thread) the kid just can't continue to take the pounding and keep injuring himself. Can't see this as a strike on $aban.

Five more to go.........

Three more to go.....

Exactly right. He was hammered for it for "being unfair to those kids"

Yes he did. I believe there were 7 that he dismissed during his FIRST summer at Auburn before they played a game. I also remember the Birmingham media roasting him for it, so I guess the general rule is that it's okay after you watch them for a year to see whether or not they are any good on the field since I have heard no bad press as of yet out of Tuscaloosa.

IMO $aban should have cleaned house last year. The difference between him and CTT is that CTT did immediately weed out the bad dudes. $aban kept DJ Hall et. all and lost the team by the LA Mo game. $aban is FINALLY implementing some restrictions and curfews. Will this be how is able to make room for the 5-6 more schollys he needs?

BTW, don't ask him how he is going to make room :blink: ...........he will go 'lil nicky" on you. :roflol:

This one isn't the interesting one, its how he gets the next 5 or 6.

We will have nonqualifiers just like everyone else will. Hell, didn't ya'll have like 5 or 6 that didn't qualify last year? We have oversigned in years past and the only reason that oversigning this year is an issue is because we have a great class coming in.

Just thought I would add this in: 2 of the 32 enrolled early and counted toward last years numbers, one was p/k Corey Smith and the other a wr Chris Jackson

Saban is cleaning house by a player being placed on the medical scholarship? :no:

Am I missing something? The same people I'm watching bust Sabans balls about 'cleaning house' are the same people I see busting Sabans balls about 'not cleaning house' when a player gets in trouble.

Surely this whole thing can be chalked up to friendly rival banter, I'm just not seeing the ground breaking news here. A player who is hurt is on a medical scholarship.

So, this is what it has come to?

$abban: "Let's just put him on a 'Medical' Scholarship."

SabanCleaningHouse.jpg?t=1210717521

Yes, that is exactly what happened. Nick Saban pushed him down some stairs. You're on top of it. Keep us updated.

Yes, that is exactly what happened. Nick Saban pushed him down some stairs. You're on top of it. Keep us updated.

Damn, he really is starting to fit in.

Archived