Another Bush Administration Failure

RunInRed

Four years ago, the US government had a bright idea: "Let's launch a propaganda-spouting TV news network in the Arab world," the government said. "We'll spend $350 million on it, but we'll staff it with incompetent people, ensure the programming is dull and clumsy, and hopefully create a counterproductive and ill-conceived boondoggle that will go down in history as one of the stupidest 'hearts and minds' campaigns of the new century!" And that's exactly what they did. Except it didn't turn out quite that well.

The Washington Post has a fantastic rundown of the failure of Al-Hurra, the most superfluous station on the Arab television dial. Despite an enormous budget, a succession of non-Arab bosses have succeeded in making it even less impactful than the average propaganda stations. Some highlights:

One news anchor greeted the station's predominantly Muslim audience on Easter by declaring, "Jesus is risen today!"...

In 2004, when an Israeli airstrike killed the spiritual leader of Hamas, Sheik Ahmed Yassin, virtually all Arabic news channels interrupted their regular programming. Al-Hurra continued with a cooking show.

Not to worry, though; surveys show Al-Hurra pulling down a solid 2% of the viewing audience, "tied with al-Manar — Hezbollah's satellite propaganda channel." Nice. Maybe because they hired a producer from Casey Kasem's radio show to run the place. Read the entire ridiculous saga at the WP:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ST2008062201236

Kind of like putting that little blond bimbo in the attorney general's office who went to Bob Jones Law School and the ones they sent over to administer in Iraq with no experience other than they were good "Bushes"

Are you SURE you're not talking about Air America ? Sounds like their mission statement, verbatim !!

<_<

Let's launch a propaganda-spouting TV news radio network... we'll staff it with incompetent people, ensure the programming is dull and clumsy, and hopefully create a counterproductive and ill-conceived boondoggle that will go down in history as one of the stupidest 'hearts and minds' campaigns of the new century!"

:roflol:

Don't spout tax payer spending in here, Dem..... There's enough mis managed social programs that have cost us trillions of dollars over the years to counter ANY argument you have with this. 350 Million is alot for a failed system, I agree. Clinton and Carter BOTH had their own tax spending issues (relating to failed ventures, not overall tax and spend).

This isn't nothing more than "Hey, don't look at me, look at them" talk.

I'll give you a HUGE misuse of U.S. tax dollars that EVERY president since the 50's has pushed.

THE UNITED NATIONS!

Did I make an excuse???? NO!!!! I made the point that EVERY administration makes mistakes with tax dollars. YOU are the one who is pushing this issue. I made a comment, and you start ASSUMING as the rest of your liberal buddies do all the time.

REALITY CHECK, red.........

Here's a reality check for you...your buddy McCain wants to give $300MM for the first battery powered car...so I guess he's already 1.5M in the hole to these 5 companies:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/autos/..._now/index.html

Damn not wanting alternative transportation because McCain is for it. You folks on the far reaches of the far left just can't be pleased can you? Surely everyone on the left isn't as insipidly stupid as you are they?

Here's one for you Obama and the dims want to continue the ban on coastal drilling. How many $$$$$$MILLIONS$$$$$$$$ are they in debt to OPEC?

Who's not for alternative energy? The point was to highlight another energy gimmick from McCain.

"When John F. Kennedy decided that we were going to put a man on the moon, he didn't put a bounty out for some rocket scientist to win -- he put the full resources of the United States government behind the project and called on the ingenuity and innovation of the American people -- not just in the private sector but also in the public sector."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/24/cam...wrap/index.html

Who's not for alternative energy? The point was to highlight another energy gimmick from McCain.

"When John F. Kennedy decided that we were going to put a man on the moon, he didn't put a bounty out for some rocket scientist to win -- he put the full resources of the United States government behind the project and called on the ingenuity and innovation of the American people -- not just in the private sector but also in the public sector."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/24/cam...wrap/index.html

Actually, if you weren't so damn stupid, you would realize that the $300m was for the development of a new BATTERY, not a new car. There is a difference. If we come up with a way to store a large enough amount of energy in a smaller package, it not only can be used for cars, but other energy saving applications also. I guess you didn't really lie, but it sure is close.

Actually, if you weren't so damn stupid, you would realize that the $300m was for the development of a new BATTERY, not a new car. There is a difference. If we come up with a way to store a large enough amount of energy in a smaller package, it not only can be used for cars, but other energy saving applications also. I guess you didn't really lie, but it sure is close.

A battery having multiple applications more be the case but his bounty offer was clearly and specifically targeted at an AUTO battery - look it up.

The Arizona senator proposed a $300 million prize for whoever can develop a better automobile battery, and $5,000 tax credits for consumers who buy new zero-emission vehicles. The latest proposal is in addition to his support for overturning the federal ban on offshore oil drilling.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080623/ap_on_...r/mccain_energy

Archived