Oil man Pickens puts his money on wind power

RunInRed

Some one can read the tea leaves...

Billionaire oilman T. Boone Pickens is putting his clout behind renewable energy sources like wind power.

The legendary entrepreneur and philanthropist on Tuesday unveiled a new energy plan he says will decrease the United States' dependency on foreign oil by more than one-third and help shift American energy production toward renewable natural resources.

"The Pickens Plan" calls for investing in domestic renewable resources such as wind, and switching from oil to natural gas as a transportation fuel.

In a news conference outlining his proposal, Pickens said his impetus for the plan is the country's dangerous reliance on foreign oil.

"Our dependence on imported oil is killing our economy. It is the single biggest problem facing America today," he said.

"Wind power is ... clean, it's renewable. It's everything you want. And it's a stable supply of energy," Pickens told CNN in May. "It's unbelievable that we have not done more with wind."

Pickens' company, Mesa Power, recently announced a $2 billion investment as the first step in a multibillion-dollar plan to build the world's largest wind farm in Pampa, Texas.

Pickens said Tuesday that if the United States takes advantage of the so-called "wind corridor," stretching from the Canadian border to West Texas, energy from wind turbines built there could supply 20 percent or more of the nation's power. He suggested the project could be funded by private investors.

Power from thousands of wind turbines that would line the corridor could be distributed throughout the country via electric power transmission lines and could fuel power plants in large population hubs, the oil baron said.

Fueling these plants with wind power would then free up the natural gas historically used to power them, and would mean that natural gas could replace foreign oil as fuel for motor vehicles, he said.

Using natural gas for transportation needs could replace one-third of the United States' imported oil and would save more than $230 billion a year, Pickens said.

"We are going to have to do something different in America," Pickens told CNN. "You can't keep paying out $600 billion a year for oil."

His energy plan could be implemented within 10 years if both Congress and the White House treat the current energy situation as a "national emergency and take immediate action," he predicted.

Pickens, a lifelong Republican, says he is not advising either presidential candidate, but is prepared to work with the next president.

The Web site for the plan urges people to sign up and help spread the word.

Oil analyst Peter Beutel of Cameron Hanover, an energy risk manager, said Pickens' plan could definitely reduce the country's dependency on foreign oil.

"The best thing about it is that it's a definite plan -- it's not something that either party has pitted itself outrightly against. It therefore has a tremendous chance for success on Capitol Hill."

Analyst Fadel Gheit of Oppenheimer & Co. Inc., an investment firm, added that such a plan "has been on the drawing board for years."

At least 21 states and the District of Columbia have set deadlines or goals for utilities to obtain electricity from clean, renewable sources instead of fossil fuel-burning plants.

The scramble has triggered construction of large-scale wind farms throughout much of the nation, including proposals for the first U.S. offshore facilities.

Delaware and Galveston, Texas, have offshore projects in the works, although a farm proposed off New York's Long Island was shelved this year because of high projected construction costs.

In Massachusetts, where utilities are under the gun to obtain four percent of electricity from renewables by 2009, builders await federal approval of a hugely controversial wind farm off historic Cape Cod.

The Cape Wind project envisions 130 wind turbines each rising 440 feet above Nantucket Sound by 2011. State officials said the farm will eliminate pollution equal to 175,000 gas-burning cars.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/07/08...plan/index.html

And someone chose to overlook and minimize this.

Some one can read the tea leaves...

His energy plan could be implemented within 10 years if both Congress and the White House treat the current energy situation as a "national emergency and take immediate action," he predicted.

A couple of weeks ago you were whining about the view from your beach home.

You griped about this

111118main_oil_rig.jpg

offshore_oil_platform.jpg

But this is OK. Yeah I get it, it's your way or no way.

turbines.jpg

offshore3.jpg

And wind turbines cannot reliably produce enough electricity to make much difference.

How reliable is wind power?

How reliable is wind power?

Oh and what about the birds?

Protest over wind farm that could kill eagles

Link to the EAGLE killers

Even the Greeks are protesting.

Greek wind power farms face protest

link

Some estimate that we would be lucky to get 5% of our energy from the wind if that. It's worth pursuing but only an idiot would count on it too much.

1) Wind is clean energy, oil is not

2) Wind is a solution, oil is a band aid

3) Boone's wind farm is on land in the middle of Texas that I assume he either a-owns or b-leases.

4) As the article stated, there are plenty of groups griping about a proposed wind farm in Cape Cod that some say will endager the local fishing economy - in fact, I saw RFK Jr on Larry King just the other night talking about this and I am in agreement with his opposition to the Cape Cod project

5) You are coming out against Wind, Hydrogen, and any other alternative proposal because it does not fit your talking points of "drill, drill, drill"

Oil is a band aid that can prevent gangrene from setting in in the short term. A concept that some foolish liberals just can't seem to grasp. They think our economy is incapable of collapse or something.

The biggest problem with wind power (this might be mentioned in the above link, I didn't click) is its unpredictable availability. Before you zing out a "No duh," put it in the context of a business model. If they can't predict the amount of sustainable power it can provide (and therefore profit), then they have to have the same level of infrastructure that existed before the wind systems were installed to provide adequate power when when the wind ain't blowing. The additional costs of the wind systems might not ever be feasible (similar to the feasibility of adding solar panels to a house - it will take the lifetime of the solar panel to recoup the incurred initial cost). To further compound the issue, many wind turbines can only operate in a relatively narrow band of windspeed. If its blowing too slow or too fast, they have to be shut down or damage to the system can occur.

1) Wind is clean energy, oil is not (We would hate for you to get dirty.)

2) Wind is a solution, oil is a band aid (WIND IS NOT A SOULTION.)

3) Boone's wind farm is on land in the middle of Texas that I assume he either a-owns or b-leases.

4) As the article stated, there are plenty of groups griping about a proposed wind farm in Cape Cod that some say will endager the local fishing economy - in fact, I saw RFK Jr on Larry King just the other night talking about this and I am in agreement with his opposition to the Cap Cod project (How surprising that you would agree with rfk jr. Those poor New England elitist view would be ruined, wouldn't it?)

5) You are coming out against Wind, Hydrogen, and any other alternative proposal because it does not fit your talking points of "drill, drill, drill" (No you are against drilling because the dims are against drilling. Drilling could bridge the gap between now and the future. You are espousing a technology that is not available in quantities sufficient to meet the needs of a single city, much less an entire nation or the world. What I wish is that you and the dim leadership would tell the nation that you really don't give a $s*** what happens to the poor people, or the middle class or even the rich class. All you care about is your "green" agenda.)

Don't ignore it, comment on this.

1) Wind is clean energy, oil is not

4) As the article stated, there are plenty of groups griping about a proposed wind farm in Cape Cod that some say will endager the local fishing economy - in fact, I saw RFK Jr on Larry King just the other night talking about this and I am in agreement with his opposition to the Cap Cod project

5) You are coming out against Wind, Hydrogen, and any other alternative proposal because it does not fit your talking points of "drill, drill, drill"

1. Yes.

2. Wind is a band aid.

3. The drilling platforms would be in the middle of the ocean or the middle of Alaska.

4. Whatever

5. Nobody is coming out against wind, hydrogen, or other alternatives. They are pointing out why they are not viable. Oil is still the best energy source we have and will continue to be used until it is not. That is how free markets work and must be allowed to work. If wind, hydrogen, or other alternatives were already better alternatives, we would already be using them. If and when they become a better alternative, we will use them. Yes, drill drill drill, because oil is still the most efficient, most portable, cheapest source of energy available. Since oil is finite, as we get closer to exhausting the source the price will continue to climb causing more oil exploration or other alternatives to become viable. It will all happen naturally without government interfering and causing problems.

How can this be? Oil has been a "band aid" for over 100 years...What research has proven wind to be a viable replacement for oil?

Maybe I should add: wind is potentially part of the solution. Hell, Pickens thinks it can supply 20% of our energy. And unless the wind is going to all of a sudden cease one day...

4) As the article stated, there are plenty of groups griping about a proposed wind farm in Cape Cod that some say will endager the local fishing economy - in fact, I saw RFK Jr on Larry King just the other night talking about this and I am in agreement with his opposition to the Cap Cod project (How surprising that you would agree with rfk jr. Those poor New England elitist view would be ruined, wouldn't it?)

5) You are coming out against Wind, Hydrogen, and any other alternative proposal because it does not fit your talking points of "drill, drill, drill" (No you are against drilling because the dims are against drilling. Drilling could bridge the gap between now and the future. You are espousing a technology that is not available in quantities sufficient to meet the needs of a single city, much less an entire nation or the world. What I wish is that you and the dim leadership would tell the nation that you really don't give a $s*** what happens to the poor people, or the middle class or even the rich class. All you care about is your "green" agenda.)

4) Please read, digest, think, then post, RFK JR is against the wind farm proposal in Cape Cod, as am I.

5) When have I ever preached about a Green agenda? However, it does make all the sense in the world to find an alternative energy that does not put a whole bunch of gook into the air.

5) When have I ever preached about a Green agenda? However, it does make all the sense in the world to find an alternative energy that does not put a whole bunch of gook into the air.

It is just assumed that you are espousing a green agenda because the only argument against drilling in the middle of Alaska and the middle of the Gulf of Mexico that is logical (logical does not necessarily mean correct) is that the environment can be harmed by oil. All the other arguments are not logical.

Other Argument 1: Oil is a band-aid. Even if I were to agree that oil is only a band-aid, what is wrong with a band-aid? Would you leave a sore open and uncovered while you waited for the full and final solution?

Other Argument 2: It will take too long to be beneficial. Anybody can see why this is stupid.

4) Please read, digest, think, then post, RFK JR is against the wind farm proposal in Cape Cod, as am I. (Hey Goober, take your own advise read, digest, think, then post) (How surprising that you would agree with rfk jr. Those poor New England elitist view would be ruined, wouldn't it?) (As anyone can see I noted your agreement with jr. It's not surprising that he would be against the wind farms there. After all Teddy & the French guy were both against it as well. Those elitist lib dims usually stick together.)

5) When have I ever preached about a Green agenda? (When have you ever not preached a radical green agenda?) However, it does make all the sense in the world to find an alternative energy that does not put a whole bunch of gook into the air. (No you are against drilling because the dims are against drilling. Drilling could bridge the gap between now and the future. You are espousing a technology that is not available in quantities sufficient to meet the needs of a single city, much less an entire nation or the world. What I wish is that you and the dim leadership would tell the nation that you really don't give a $s*** what happens to the poor people, or the middle class or even the rich class. All you care about is your "green" agenda.)

TM - once again, you think you know, but you have no idea.

Obama Boy, I know you think that is an answer to the complete rebuttal of your post, not just me but everyone.

And yes you are wrong. Because I do know. I know if you had your way the "that dirty old oil", would stop. Then our entire economy would be in the crapper. But you don't care, do you?

I know there are people who have to make a choice everytime they fill up their fuel tank. Do I fill the tank and go to work or do I pay this bill or that bill. Or do I go to the grocery and pay out the ass for goods that cost more because fuel prices are so high. But you don't give a damn do you? Why? Because Obama said the price increase was OK, but it just went up too fast. You see that has been the goal and the agenda of the dimwits in your party. That has been the goal of the green lobby. Run the price of oil so high that people will have to change to something else. What that something else is no one knows.

I know the worse president in the history of the United States signed the coastal no drill bill. I know dimwit dims have kept that in place and look at it like it was handed down to Moses by God himself.

I know NO ONE here has adocated NOT developing alternative fuels.

I know YOU have continously harped that drilling will not help. Well guess what you dimwitted fool, drilling will help, it will provide relief at the pump. It will show the world that the U.S. is committed to providing for IT'S OWN energy needs. Instead of sponging off the rest of the world. Drilling will bridge the gap untill those alternatives are available.

I do know that RFK, jr, Ted and John all are against wind farms off the coast of Mass. I know they are against drilling on the entire eastern seaboard and the west coast and the gulf of Mexico from the Fl & AL line east. In fact the only place drilling can occur in the gulf is the off the coast of Texas, LA, Miss & Alabama. Maybe the east coast and the west coast should pay a lot more for their fuel.

I know the dims core policy of no drilling is what has caused this world wide clusterf_ ck.

I know the dims and their rush to save the planet and ween the world off "dirty ole oil", have caused world wide food shortages. Ethanol will save us $$$millions$$$ and be so much cleaner on the planet. Isn't that what they were saying for years? Now people are starving so you can feel good about your sacriface.

I know that right now the only energy policy the dims have is:

“Right now, our strategy on gas prices is ‘Drive small cars and wait for the wind,’ ” said a Democratic aide.

I know you still have not bothered to comment here: http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48819

So forgive me if I don't give a s*** what you say. You are part of the problem. Your Messiah and the radical dims pushing his campaign plan to exacerbate this problem along with many others.

TM - once again, you think you know, but you have no idea.

You rarely seem to find any liberal logic or condescending remarks to use against my posts. Does that mean you agree with them?

I like the idea of exploring wind power to supplement the current power supplies. However, if you think this is not a business decision for Pickens you are sorely mistaken. He made his money off drilling in Texas for OIL over 50 years ago when the gettin' was good. He will NOT profit off of the new drilling proposed in Alaska and Colorodo. He WILL profit off the wind power he generates on his land in the wind tunnel of Texas. It is simple to put one and one together and figure this one out. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and his idea about supplementing our power supplies to somehow put a dent in our oil use for vehicles, but he is dead wrong about stating that we should turn our backs on drilling for oil here in America to accomplish the same exact thing.

He is right though that $700 billion should not be sent out of this County every year. But it is and will be for the near future. That money should be spent on oil in our own country, plain and simple. The dims could even make the oil companies invest a part of thier profits from American oil into alternative energy solutions like wind power or bio-fuels. It can be managed in a progressive way if you would only consider the benefits of drilling for more oil on our own soil.

Compromise: The oil companies can drill but the vast majority of their profits from this additional activity must be invested to pursue alternative energy solutions. Every one wins - the right who wants more drilling, the left who wants alternative enrgy, and all American consumers.

Winner winner chicken dinner?

Compromise: The oil companies can drill but the vast majority of their profits from this additional activity must be invested to pursue alternative energy solutions. Every one wins - the right who wants more drilling, the left who wants alternative enrgy, and all American consumers.

No, that's stupid.

Why don't we say that Google can continue growing its business, but 90% of the profits of the new business has to be given to alternative energy? Doesn't that sound stupid? Or that you get a raise at your job, but you have to invest 90% of your raise in alternative energy?

Your whole premise that the government should control what companies should do with their own profits is wrong. It causes bad problems.

AMEN! Where's the BEEF? :)

Why don't we just take everyones money from them and let liberals decide what to do with it? How about we give those who are going to harvest the oil some incentive to do it, like the ability to use the "vast" majority of their profits the way they want to. The key is to set the maximum price for purchasing the rights to drill. A price that will leave plenty of incentive for entrepreneurs to jump full force into harvesting the oil. Then the gubmint can use those fees to help fund research. That is, of course, whatevers left after they pi$$ away most of it.

Well at least some of you admit it - you don't want to drill to actually help Americans and help our energy situation...it's all about the oil companies and big bucks.

Well at least some of you admit it - you don't want to drill to actually help Americans and help our energy situation...it's all about the oil companies and big bucks.

It's retarded statements like this that shape your personality on this board.

Archived