Alabama predictions

EllisHugh

I think Bama challenges for the West and the Iron Bowl decides the winner

I have been called crazy for saying it but dammit, I am sticking to it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and I certainly don't see how they stop our offense.

You have a new system that nobody has ever seen. You have a new coordinator that everyone will have to adjust to. You have no returning tenured starter.

And we have a good secondary.

You didn't exactly light up the scoreboard against us last year with a Senior QB at the helm.

Uhhhhhh...did you even watch the Clemson game? 423 yards with 9 practices in 7 days. I know we still had Brandon, but Burns accounted for two of those TD's. And Clemson had one of the best D's in the country. Your logic, or the lack thereof, is astounding.

:au::homer:

To be fair, you scored 17 points in regulation.

Teams that scored 17 points or more on Clemson last year:

Va Tech (41)

South Carolina (21)

Boston College (17)

Maryland (17)

NC State (20)

La Monroe (26)

FSU (18)

All of those = HORRIBLE offenses except BC. And Va Tech's wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good either. 21 points against Kansas, 10 points against BC, 7 points against LSU.

and I certainly don't see how they stop our offense.

You have a new system that nobody has ever seen. You have a new coordinator that everyone will have to adjust to. You have no returning tenured starter.

We have a system and coordinator that helped us rack up 423 yds of offense against Clemson with only 2 weeks to learn it and adjust to the coordinator. The guy that did most of the damage in that game at QB is back. While it took a little while to get in a groove, we scored 14 pts in the 2nd half once we got going and added 6 in OT. Not too shabby for installing a new offense in your last game of the season.

And we have a good secondary.

That you do. But this isn't a passing offense, it's a balanced offense. We have a good O-line and you have an average D-line and below average LB corp. Those LBs, who will spend a lot of time chasing WRs underneath, have basically no depth behind them and you'll be going against a no-huddle offense.

You didn't exactly light up the scoreboard against us last year with a Senior QB at the helm.

Different offense. Different skill set than the ones we have now. Either of these guys is an upgrade, especially with the new offense.

I'm just saying...to assume you guys aren't going to feel growing pains considering the installation of a new offense, defense, and QB is pretty arrogant.

And honestly, it's EXACTLY the kind of behavior you guys accuse us of.

I'm just saying...to assume you guys aren't going to feel growing pains considering the installation of a new offense, defense, and QB is pretty arrogant.

Even growing pains in the new offense will be an improvement over last year. So, yeah, we're feeling pretty good about things in that area.

Defense...CTT has always managed to find good coordinators that run something pretty close to what we've been running, so the learning curve really isn't that steep. Even Gibbs did a decent job. Gave up a few too many pass plays, but then again, racked up 12 sacks against you guys. I think we'll be ok.

I don't think so. If we were the only ones pumping sunshine in the face of every one else's take, I'd say you're probably right. But given what we saw in the bowl game, CTT's history on defense in general, and what people like Phil Steele, SI, the AP poll and others are saying, I don't think us being confident and excited about this coming season is really arrogance.

Why would any AUBURN fan think Bama could beat us THIS year?

I'm not trying to challenge anybody's devotion, but what logic is there for any non-Bama fan to believe they have a shot?

Besides home field advantage, Bama loses at every position except MAYBE QB. We have unproven QBs - but they do have serious talent and potential.

Our receivers are more experienced.

Our o-line is more talented (save Andre Smith. I'd take Ziemba and Pugh over Textbook King anyday).

Our running backs are much better.

Our D-line is stout.

Our linebackers destroy theirs.

Their secondary is probably on par with ours now that Savage is out.

Unless Bama has six true freshmen who are instant all-americans, Auburn is much better on paper. Of course, it all changes when the games start getting played. But right now, why the hell are any Auburn fans sipping Kool-Aid? If a Bammer wants to make a wild prediction because they have hope for their team, be my guest.

We'll have those growing pains for sure. But, hey in all honesty/reality, there is not much room to get worse on offense. We were all but bottom of the barrel last year.

Honestly if we played you early in the season that would be a very real concern. But considering what we did against Clemson in the bowl game, I think by the last game of the season, we pretty much should be firing on all cylinders on offense. I don't see our transition on D ever being an issue.

I agree on paper we have Bama covered, but hey thats why they play the game right? We had USF covered and UF had us covered. Crazy things happen.

I'm not trying to challenge anybody's devotion, but what logic is there for any non-Bama fan to believe they have a shot?

Besides home field advantage, Bama loses at every position except MAYBE QB. We have unproven QBs - but they do have serious talent and potential.

Our o-line is more talented (save Andre Smith. I'd take Ziemba and Pugh over Textbook King anyday).

Our D-line is stout.

Unless Bama has six true freshmen who are instant all-americans, Auburn is much better on paper. Of course, it all changes when the games start getting played. But right now, why the hell are any Auburn fans sipping Kool-Aid? If a Bammer wants to make a wild prediction because they have hope for their team, be my guest.

Your receivers may be more experienced, but ours are better. ESPECIALLY when you consider that our TEs are much better on paper than yours.

Our QB is better and will have a better year than yours.

Our secondary isn't "on par", it's better than yours, and will prove to be one of the best in the league anchored by what will end up being 2 ALL SEC DBs.

Our LB corps is thin, but with Hall coming back we've got talent at 2 of the 4 spots. And I'd take McClain over any of your LBs.

Your DL is better. But some of that will be minimized by our 3-4 vs your 4-3.

I'd take our Oline except for Right Tackle. Smith and Caldwell with both go higher in the draft than any of your current Olinemen at the same positions.

And you will be on the road against the first "decent" UA team since 2002.

I'm not saying it's in the bag for either team. I'm saying to write that game off so easily would be arrogant and foolish.

Our D-line is stout.

Your receivers may be more experienced, but ours are better. ESPECIALLY when you consider that our TEs are much better on paper than yours.

Our secondary isn't "on par", it's better than yours, and will prove to be one of the best in the league anchored by what will end up being 2 ALL SEC DBs.

Our LB corps is thin, but with Hall coming back we've got talent at 2 of the 4 spots. And I'd take McClain over any of your LBs.

I'd take our Oline except for Right Tackle. Smith and Caldwell with both go higher in the draft than any of your current Olinemen at the same positions.

I'm not saying it's in the bag for either team. I'm saying to write that game off so easily would be arrogant and foolish.

I'm sorry...you're just crazy. And I don't usually say things like that on the board...and I mean it in the nicest possible, just football fun, kind of way. But Dude...you are truly drinking the koolaid and it's making you nuts. Almost NONE of what you said is true.

Our D-line is stout.

Woh Woh Woh, slow up, I thought the 05 team was a world beater, better than 04 Auburn. Thats all I heard all season (until the last couple weeks) from Bama fans.

I'm sorry...you're just crazy. And I don't usually say things like that on the board...and I mean it in the nicest possible, just football fun, kind of way. But Dude...you are truly drinking the koolaid and it's making you nuts. Almost NONE of what you said is true.

Yet you provide no rebuttal for any of it.

Woh Woh Woh, slow up, I thought the 05 team was a world beater, better than 04 Auburn. Thats all I heard all season (until the last couple weeks) from Bama fans.

I said "at home"...you didn't play the 05 team at home. I was trying to add to my list "home field advantage."

Bama is better at qb and then secondary, everything else is a push at best. Just because Andre Smith is the "greatest" doesn't mean the rest of the oline is up to par. Right now this Bama team looks to be better than any team since 02 excluding the 05 team and that isn't saying much. BG, you sticking by the two All-SEC DBs? Yeah, McClain is very good but the linebacker corps as a whole is very much in the air. I have a feeling that by the end of the season that All SEC secondary is going to be worn down due to tackling all the time.

7-5 with a win over Auburn.

Will you eat your hat if it doesn't happen? B)

I eat no hats. I will take a friendly wager from anyone who wants to join in.

$100 bucks says we make it seven in a row.

Backing off?

Bama is better at qb and then secondary, everything else is a push at best. Just because Andre Smith is the "greatest" doesn't mean the rest of the oline is up to par. Right now this Bama team looks to be better than any team since 02 excluding the 05 team and that isn't saying much. BG, you sticking by the two All-SEC DBs? Yeah, McClain is very good but the linebacker corps as a whole is very much in the air. I have a feeling that by the end of the season that All SEC secondary is going to be worn down due to tackling all the time.

Well Rashad Johnson was ALL SEC last year. And Kareem Jackson was freshman All American and Freshman ALL SEC. So yeah.

And again, the LBs are in the air. But the addition of Prince Hall helps. I think AU has an edge at LB, and front 7 as a whole. And our secondary won't show as the greatest because they will be helping out at LB...but they will help minimize the defecit we have at front 7.

And yeah, I like our 2 All SEC olinemen in Caldwell and Smith. I also like Marlon Davis who I think is middle round draftable. Evan Cardwell was fine at Center last year and didn't prove to be a liability at all. That just leaves right tackle.

Backing off?

No. David and Co don't really like $$ wagers on the board. But I'd be happy to do the same case of beer bet with you that I do with Ellis.

Offense:

-I will take our QB(don't get sucked into the senior QB, so he is going to be so much better thing, we did it last year with Brandon and it didn't exactly pan out.

-I will take our RB(no competition IMO)

-I would say WR is a toss-up. Ours are more experienced, will do better in this system, plus with Mario they should be pretty good. But I am always impressed with Bama recievers and I do think WR is a position that freshman can contribute to.

-I will take our OL overall, though I do agree that Andre is one of the best.

-I would take Bama TE overall as far as depth, but I am not worried one bit with Tommy Trott there.

Defense:

-I will take our DLine(no competition)

-I will take our LB. I would take Blackmon over McClain. I really don't think this is going to be as big of a difference between the two teams as everyone thinks.

-I will take Bama's Secondary(no competition)

Oh yeah, forgot kickers. I don't see how Tiffin keeps getting love over Byrum, Tiffin chokes Byrum is cool under pressure, just that Leigh kicked a lot more than Wes. Shoemaker is better than whoever Bama has punting but I like Bama's returners.

Yet you provide no rebuttal for any of it.

I said "at home"...you didn't play the 05 team at home. I was trying to add to my list "home field advantage."

It doesn't deserve any rebuttal. It's ludicrous. Kind of like saying that Hitler was a nice guy. NO ONE of any standing agrees with you. That's not to say that Bamar can't win the game...but your analysis is just ridiculous. :no:

No. David and Co don't really like $$ wagers on the board. But I'd be happy to do the same case of beer bet with you that I do with Ellis.

Not worth the time. Did you ever pay off Ellis?

By what measure? The only one on your roster last year that was measurably better was DJ Hall (67 rec, 1005 yds, 15 ypc, 6 TDs. Matt Caddell who also graduated had 40 rec. for 475 yds, 11.9 ypc and 2 TDs.

By comparison Rod Smith had 52 rec for 705 yds, 13.6 ypc and 5 TDs last year.

Here's last year's stats on our top five returning WRs:

R. Smith (see above)

M. Billings 25-321, 11.5, 1

Dunn 19-211, 11.1, 2

Fannin 18-176, 9.8, 2

Hawthorne 4-47, 11.8

Your top five returning WRs:

M. McCoy 28-207, 7.4, 1

K. Brown 22-336, 15.3, 5

Stover 10-131, 13.1, 2

Lowe 5-19, 3.8, 0

Alexander 4-46, 11.0, 0

Granted, Brown had nagging injuries, but still. It's not like that bunch is clearly superior. Based on what we actually know from work on the field, you couldn't exactly insist they're better at all.

Now the TEs. Auburn's:

G. McKenzie 13-117, 9.0, 2

Trott 4-35, 8.8, 0

Yours:

Nick Walker 23-204, 8.9, 2

Travis McCall 6-45, 7.5, 0

Preston Dial 1-21, 21, 0

Again, not seeing the huge discrepancy. Especially when you consider that you guys passed the ball a whole lot more than we did last year. You guys threw the ball 116 more times than we did, which translated to more passing yards (602 to be exact).

So in summation, there's nothing to show your WRs are better than ours at all. If Hall and/or Caddell were back, you'd have a point. Otherwise it's just speculation.

And yes, on paper, your TEs are better. But not MUCH better when you consider that you passed a lot more than we did to begin with.

Maybe. JPW hasn't wowed anyone. He looks one quarter and terrible the next. And he lost his top two targets. Ask Brandon how much harder it was the next year after losing Obomanu, Mix and Aromashodu.

This is definitely the strength of your D. Point conceded.

I'd take McClain, but I'd round out my LB corp with Auburn's guys. I don't think Hall is better than Blackmon, Stevens or Evans.

Our DL is a lot better. And deeper.

Well, I wouldn't. And I wouldn't bet on that draft assessment. Our guys still have 3 years to play in college.

We don't seem particularly phased by that, but home field is what it is.

I never write off an Iron Bowl. But I expect to be the better team and I expect to win.

I settled with him after the 05 loss and the 06. I've sent him 2 PMs and two messages on the forum requesting his address info for 07, and he has yet to send that to me.

He did, however, try and call me out the other day publicly in spite of the numerous attempts I've extended to get his info...which I didn't appreciate.

I'd take McClain, but I'd round out my LB corp with Auburn's guys. I don't think Hall is better than Blackmon, Stevens or Evans.

Why do you choose to take all these other things on statistics and experience, yet you throw it all out with the LBs?

Hall had 77 tackles in 06 and 58 in 07 (though he played one fewer game than the AU guys in 07 and was suspended for another game half). Hall had 11 TFLs in 06.

Craig Stevens had 35 tackles last year and a fumble recovery.

Evans had 64 tackles last year.

Combined they had 7 tackles on 06.

While you might have an argument with Evans, your Stevens argument doesn't really hold water.

I'm betting you the two freshman all american LBs in McClain and Hall crack your starting lineup. I'm betting in our 3-4 you would get two, and we would get two.

I settled with him after the 05 loss and the 06. I've sent him 2 PMs and two messages on the forum requesting his address info for 07, and he has yet to send that to me.

He did, however, try and call me out the other day publicly in spite of the numerous attempts I've extended to get his info...which I didn't appreciate.

Why do you choose to take all these other things on statistics and experience, yet you throw it all out with the LBs?

Hall had 77 tackles in 06 and 58 in 07 (though he played one fewer game than the AU guys in 07 and was suspended for another game half). Hall had 11 TFLs in 06.

Craig Stevens had 35 tackles last year and a fumble recovery.

Evans had 64 tackles last year.

Combined they had 7 tackles on 06.

While you might have an argument with Evans, your Stevens argument doesn't really hold water.

I'm betting you the two freshman all american LBs in McClain and Hall crack your starting lineup. I'm betting in our 3-4 you would get two, and we would get two.

Ok, I'll give you Hall over Stevens. I didn't think Hall's stats were all that great last year though, so I'd still take Evans. So in a 4-3 I'd go Blackmon, McClain, Evans. In a 3-4 I'd play Hall and Stevens depending on the situation. Don't 3-4 style LBs need to be a bit bigger?

Our D-line is stout.

You probably are not going to consider me an Auburn fan. But, like I said - I say Auburn has more talent. I'm not disputing that. Overall, Auburn has better talent and better coaching (not necessarily just head coach here - position coaches and coordinators are included).

I give Bama the Senior QB, and being at home, and wanting to end the streak, and the pressure that Saban will have to win this game. Yes, some fans are realistic and won't mind losing to Auburn again as long as some improvement in general is shown. Yes, some fans want a win and have high expectations. But overall, I think Saban will feel pressure to win this year. Tuberville will have some pressure from the "Recruiting National Championship" and recognizes that this is the one game he and his staff are judged on. I like that. But, in my opinion, Saban will have a little more pressure to win, where Tuberville will more "want to win."

It's really weird because I do think Auburn has better talent and coaching and Tuberville knows how much this means to him. I really could see Auburn winning. But I could also see us losing as well. Here is what is going to happen though:

If Alabama wins, Bama fans will be all pumped and boasting how they are back and that it is only going to get worse for Auburn with the recent recruiting. Not saying Bama would win in 09, just what the fans will state. Tuberville will have enormous pressure to win in '09.

If Auburn wins, it could be a while until Bama wins the Iron Bowl and I don't see how the Bama fans would expect a win the following year. At least this past year they had expectations with Year 2 of Saban and playing at home with a senior QB.

I'm still waiting for you to explain to me how the QB leading the 5th worst passing offense in the NCAA last year is going to be the one to "expose our secondary."

I'm still waiting for you to explain to me how the QB leading the 5th worst passing offense in the NCAA last year is going to be the one to "expose our secondary."

WVU?

I duno - wouldn't this fall into a similar category of how anyone would expect our offense to do anything after last year with our ninety-something ranked offense.

I believe WVU is supposed to start airing it out more this year. The only reason I say they will "begin" to expose our secondary is because we don't face an experienced and good QB until then. Add in the new concept of passing in Morgantown to Pat White and I think they will have success throwing the ball against us. I still think Auburn comes out with the victory (I think WVU has a bad year, like Louisville last season, but not as disastrous).

And before you ask - Ole Miss has played us tight recently and Nutt seems to get Tuberville when we are high (except in '04) - see 2006 and maybe 2002. With my prediction of us being undefeated going into the Ole Miss game - I predict Chris Snead and a better coached Ole Miss team to upset us (this is college football, upsets happen - you may not like my upset predictions, but that's what make them upsets - last year I had UK over LSU as my upset of the year).

Archived