Alabama predictions

EllisHugh

Offense- returning 10 starters with the entire offensive line. The only position missing was a WR and it looks like Nikita Stover or Julio Jones will be filling that role. They can move the ball . I expect, and I know this is not an embraced prediction, JPWilson to have a decent year. He’s a Senior and typically even Seniors at Vandy have good years. I have always felt when the pressure is on, he folds like a tent and in big games, I expect that to continue. You can improve on reads and throws but decision making when it’s on the line never improves. You either have it or you don’t. JPW does not have it.

Their o-line is fairly weak when going against our front. I feel Caldwell the center is the best lineman on the team, not Andre Smith who is grossly overrated. He’s consistent and he’s the vocal leader of their team. Let’s just hope he’s still selling books.

The offense will go as Terry Grant the RB goes. If he goes down with an injury, they have problems. They have Glen Coffee but that’s about it. They can catch out of the backfield and under McElwain, this will be huge for their offense.

Overall, the offense returns some most of the players but they are not very strong. JPW is rhythmic. If he’s hot, it’s a good offense because he will reel off some passes in a row. If he’s not in a rhythm, he struggles. This goes back to his days at Hoover in a no-huddle offense in the Franklin System. Mclewain is unlike most OC’s in that his goal is to run up the middle, throw the out, and then pull the trigger on his goal which is to work the middle of the field between the seams with passes. He throws to the TE more than any coach in the conference. He wants to put the ball between the safeties and lbers and in this league, you will get your wr’s strung up with some of these safeties. This was not a good hire. He wants the ball in Grant’s hands most of the time and loves to run him on a wheel route out of the backfield.

Defense- Returns 6 starters with 2 on the defensive line and 2 at lb and 2 at db. They are running a 3-4 and here is why:

DL- worst in the conference and may go down as the worst in Alabama’s history. They were shoved around during spring by their offensive line and it is expected that they will give up a ton of rushing yards this year. Clemson’s duo should have a field day here.No good players to talk about here. Although, they have decided to put a 350 or 400 lber at NG to plug between the gaurds.

LB- McClain is back. Jimmy Johns is not, he’s tied up right now. It is expected freshman Jerrell Harris will start at 1 lber and Ezekial Knight at the other or Prince Hall. So many suspensions and injuries here, nobody knows who’s playing. McLain almost killed himself on a motorcycle accident so who really knows who will be here.

DB- All 4 have playing time. Javier Arenas and kareem Jackson will man the corners and Justin Woodall and rashad Johnson will man the safeties.

Overall, this defense can defend the pass in the secondary. What they can’t do is stop the run or get a rush. They have major problems and even Nick calling the plays can’t help them. Kirby Smart is not a DC and I predict Nick will be logging extra hours this year to help cover Kirby’s weaknesses.

The bottom line with Alabama is my prediction on losses to Clemson in Atlanta, at Georgia, at Tennessee, at LSU, Mississippi State at home because they can’t stop the run, and Auburn for the 7th year in a row. Traveling to Arkansas is not a lock and with Houston’s love for running and their inability to stop it, makes Ole Miss a tough one. Tulane, Western Kentucky, and Arkansas State are the only 3 sure wins but hey, so was ULM. People can predict things all day long but I have a gut feeling that this may be a long year in Tuscaloosa. BTW, if JPW goes down, you haven’t seen problems. Greg Mcelroy wouldn’t QB ULM this year. Should be fun to watch.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so, your putting bama at 4-8 or something.......im kinda surprised. I really think you under estimate our offensive line this year. As for your other predictions, you could be rihgt.

Yeah, with the way their defense looks on paper, their only hope is to outscore their opponents in high scoring shootouts. I don't know how confident I'd be in JPW to get that done. When you hear otherwise delusional fans say they expect to get 8 wins, it's not looking too good. Still, it's a new OC over there. With a better scheme and better team chemistry, they may be able to surprise us ('us' as in everyone else in the conf). Plus, if their defense somehow gels, then their real enemy will be youthful inconsistency, rather than lack of depth.

My expectations for Bama (and year 2 of Saban) are as follows:

Lose to Clemson, UGA, and LSU. There is no reason to expect Alabama to defeat Clemson and UGA. They lost to UGA last year and this year they go to Athens. Clemson I think just might be a little better. LSU - they lost to last year and even though they lost their QB, this year go to LSU and the QB should be a little more settled by the time these teams play.

Because they lose right off the bat to Clemson and the first big game against UGA, the fans are a little more realistic and not expecting "big things." Yet, they still see hope. They beat Tennessee (they destroyed them last year) and the fans get a little more cockier, but still are far away from a divisional championship. They then lose to LSU in their next big game, so the fans are still like "well, there goes the SEC West." They still defeat their other opponents like UK, and Arkansas. This shows improvement. They finally beat MSU and go to play Auburn to finally put an end to the streak. A senior QB and an Auburn team that started off really strong, but has a rough few last games, plus the motivation to finally defeat Auburn (period, and in T-Town) with Saban feeling the heat - finally pull off the miracle.

Fans are mediocre throughout the season and after the big W over Auburn - are claiming Top 10 for next year. They still don't go to Atlanta (LSU gets that honor, even though they lose to Auburn and Florida), but the fans are cockier than ever because they beat Auburn. 9-3 is good, but beating Auburn is what did it for them.

Just my opinion - I'll take the Bammer remarks. IMO - I only give Alabama the edge this year because Saban has the pressure to win this year. Last year I said Tubs had the pressure, but this year it is on Saban. It's at home (I know we are undefeated there, but that's a very small sample size) and the fact that JPW is a senior QB on top of all these factors I think does it for them. I do not think Alabama is more talented than Auburn. I just think they get the job done this year. I will say this - if Auburn is able to continue the streak this year, it will be a while before Alabama wins. This is their best shot in the near future because they have the senior QB this year. The next two years Auburn will have that privilege, on top of talent and coaching perhaps being a little better. I am not saying JPW is a better QB than Burns / Todd - I just like the experienced, QB wanting to defeat his rival in his last home game thing.

Offense- returning 10 starters with the entire offensive line. The only position missing was a WR and it looks like Nikita Stover or Julio Jones will be filling that role. They can move the ball . I expect, and I know this is not an embraced prediction, JPWilson to have a decent year. He’s a Senior and typically even Seniors at Vandy have good years. I have always felt when the pressure is on, he folds like a tent and in big games, I expect that to continue. You can improve on reads and throws but decision making when it’s on the line never improves. You either have it or you don’t. JPW does not have it.

Their o-line is fairly weak when going against our front. I feel Caldwell the center is the best lineman on the team, not Andre Smith who is grossly overrated. He’s consistent and he’s the vocal leader of their team. Let’s just hope he’s still selling books.

The offense will go as Terry Grant the RB goes. If he goes down with an injury, they have problems. They have Glen Coffee but that’s about it. They can catch out of the backfield and under McElwain, this will be huge for their offense.

Overall, the offense returns some most of the players but they are not very strong. JPW is rhythmic. If he’s hot, it’s a good offense because he will reel off some passes in a row. If he’s not in a rhythm, he struggles. This goes back to his days at Hoover in a no-huddle offense in the Franklin System. Mclewain is unlike most OC’s in that his goal is to run up the middle, throw the out, and then pull the trigger on his goal which is to work the middle of the field between the seams with passes. He throws to the TE more than any coach in the conference. He wants to put the ball between the safeties and lbers and in this league, you will get your wr’s strung up with some of these safeties. This was not a good hire. He wants the ball in Grant’s hands most of the time and loves to run him on a wheel route out of the backfield.

Defense- Returns 6 starters with 2 on the defensive line and 2 at lb and 2 at db. They are running a 3-4 and here is why:

DL- worst in the conference and may go down as the worst in Alabama’s history. They were shoved around during spring by their offensive line and it is expected that they will give up a ton of rushing yards this year. Clemson’s duo should have a field day here.No good players to talk about here. Although, they have decided to put a 350 or 400 lber at NG to plug between the gaurds.

LB- McClain is back. Jimmy Johns is not, he’s tied up right now. It is expected freshman Jerrell Harris will start at 1 lber and Ezekial Knight at the other or Prince Hall. So many suspensions and injuries here, nobody knows who’s playing. McLain almost killed himself on a motorcycle accident so who really knows who will be here.

DB- All 4 have playing time. Javier Arenas and kareem Jackson will man the corners and Justin Woodall and rashad Johnson will man the safeties.

Overall, this defense can defend the pass in the secondary. What they can’t do is stop the run or get a rush. They have major problems and even Nick calling the plays can’t help them. Kirby Smart is not a DC and I predict Nick will be logging extra hours this year to help cover Kirby’s weaknesses.

The bottom line with Alabama is my prediction on losses to Clemson in Atlanta, at Georgia, at Tennessee, at LSU, Mississippi State at home because they can’t stop the run, and Auburn for the 7th year in a row. Traveling to Arkansas is not a lock and with Houston’s love for running and their inability to stop it, makes Ole Miss a tough one. Tulane, Western Kentucky, and Arkansas State are the only 3 sure wins but hey, so was ULM. People can predict things all day long but I have a gut feeling that this may be a long year in Tuscaloosa. BTW, if JPW goes down, you haven’t seen problems. Greg Mcelroy wouldn’t QB ULM this year. Should be fun to watch.

I absolutely agree. JPW alone isn't gonna beat anybody, and when you add to that the lack of supporting cast on offense, it really doesn't look good. No proven WR and a very average (if not below average) running game and it spells problems. That doesn't even take into the account the swiss cheese they have for a defense... I expect at least 6 losses - Clemson, UGA, Tennessee, LSU, Miss. State, and Auburn, but a 7th loss wouldn't surprise me at all...

Lose to Clemson, UGA, and LSU. There is no reason to expect Alabama to defeat Clemson and UGA. They lost to UGA last year and this year they go to Athens. Clemson I think just might be a little better. LSU - they lost to last year and even though they lost their QB, this year go to LSU and the QB should be a little more settled by the time these teams play.

Because they lose right off the bat to Clemson and the first big game against UGA, the fans are a little more realistic and not expecting "big things." Yet, they still see hope. They beat Tennessee (they destroyed them last year) and the fans get a little more cockier, but still are far away from a divisional championship. They then lose to LSU in their next big game, so the fans are still like "well, there goes the SEC West." They still defeat their other opponents like UK, and Arkansas. This shows improvement. They finally beat MSU and go to play Auburn to finally put an end to the streak. A senior QB and an Auburn team that started off really strong, but has a rough few last games, plus the motivation to finally defeat Auburn (period, and in T-Town) with Saban feeling the heat - finally pull off the miracle.

Fans are mediocre throughout the season and after the big W over Auburn - are claiming Top 10 for next year. They still don't go to Atlanta (LSU gets that honor, even though they lose to Auburn and Florida), but the fans are cockier than ever because they beat Auburn. 9-3 is good, but beating Auburn is what did it for them.

Just my opinion - I'll take the Bammer remarks. IMO - I only give Alabama the edge this year because Saban has the pressure to win this year. Last year I said Tubs had the pressure, but this year it is on Saban. It's at home (I know we are undefeated there, but that's a very small sample size) and the fact that JPW is a senior QB on top of all these factors I think does it for them. I do not think Alabama is more talented than Auburn. I just think they get the job done this year. I will say this - if Auburn is able to continue the streak this year, it will be a while before Alabama wins. This is their best shot in the near future because they have the senior QB this year. The next two years Auburn will have that privilege, on top of talent and coaching perhaps being a little better. I am not saying JPW is a better QB than Burns / Todd - I just like the experienced, QB wanting to defeat his rival in his last home game thing.

You mean kinda like Brodie Croyle vs Cox in 05... as I remember that didn't turn out too well for Brodie or Bama.

I think the only shot our northern neighbors have against us this year is if we suffer more injuries in the secondary, and their freshman receivers live up to all the hype, and they are able to bomb away on us. They aren't going to run on us. And we are going to score some points on their leaky defense with our offense that will be in full swing by then for sure.

I see number 7 on the horizon.

I agree with PChamp's logic, I just don't see it happening. If Alabama is to win, this is the year. After this, they will be bringing in a QB with no experience and will be losing a lot of seniors. Granted they have young talent, but Auburn will generally hold a leadership edge on them after this year. I think Bama has that edge this year. With that being said, I still don't see the loss this year, I just don't think they have the defense to stop us enough, and I think we can shut down their offense enough. The wildcard of all of that is injuries and other circumstances as the season progresses, but I think Auburn would win if they played today. I also agree with PChamp that if #7 hits, you can easily go ahead and chalk up 8 and 9....with the chance for #10 to stop a lot of their arguments about the streak.

You mean kinda like Brodie Croyle vs Cox in 05... as I remember that didn't turn out too well for Brodie or Bama.

I think the only shot our northern neighbors have against us this year is if we suffer more injuries in the secondary, and their freshman receivers live up to all the hype, and they are able to bomb away on us. They aren't going to run on us. And we are going to score some points on their leaky defense with our offense that will be in full swing by then for sure.

I see number 7 on the horizon.

2005 was in Auburn... not Alabama. And before you say it - yes, 2004 they did have a senior QB, but that was their 3rd string (I think he was a senior - he at least didn't play again). But we also had a senior QB that year and he was much better and had a much better supporting staff around him.

You did touch on something I thought, but didn't write. I see our secondary not being exposed by LSU and Tennessee. But we finally get to see a real QB against WVU. I think WVU is going to really struggle this year (not as bad, but almost like Louisville last year). And it helps that we have Paul Rhoads. I say we beat WVU, but WVU exposes our secondary. The next week Ole Miss has Chris Snead expose it even more and they upset us. Then we lose to UGA as Stafford continues to embarrass us by exposing our secondary even more. At this point we have just lost two straight SEC games and our secondary has lost all confidence. This is usually when Tuberville picks it up and has a big game and wins. Hopefully that is the case. It's just a prediction, that is all.

7-5 with a win over Auburn.

Will you eat your hat if it doesn't happen? B)

I eat no hats. I will take a friendly wager from anyone who wants to join in.

I'll say 8-4, with a loss to Auburn.

Aug. 30 Clemson (Atlanta) = L

Sept. 6 Tulane = W

Sept. 13 Western Kentucky = W

Sept. 20 at Arkansas = W

Sept. 27 at Georgia = L

Oct. 4 Kentucky = W

Oct. 11 OPEN DATE

Oct. 18 Ole Miss = W

Oct. 25 at Tennessee = L

Nov. 1 Arkansas State = W

Nov. 8 at LSU = W

Nov. 15 Mississippi State = W

Nov. 22 OPEN DATE

Nov. 29 Auburn = L

Typical. Not shocked at all.

p.s. As for sally jesse...It is very difficult to throw a football while on your back.

$100 bucks says we make it seven in a row.

I lean more toward ellishugh's logic than anything. I think the Ole Miss, Miss St., UK, and Arky games are all 50/50 shots. I agree with most others about the BIG games mostly being losses, but they will probably find a way to win at least one of those, most likely a home game (not AUBURN). No way they win @ LSU or @ UGA. Most likely wins are going 2-2 in first 4 I mentioned.

As everyone knows defense is key to winning in the SEC. Look at UF last year, even with a Heisman winning QB, and a great O, they still struggled b/c of not so good D. Their O will be pretty decent at times. Finishing with 5-7 wins.

2005 was in Auburn... not Alabama. And before you say it - yes, 2004 they did have a senior QB, but that was their 3rd string (I think he was a senior - he at least didn't play again). But we also had a senior QB that year and he was much better and had a much better supporting staff around him.

You did touch on something I thought, but didn't write. I see our secondary not being exposed by LSU and Tennessee. But we finally get to see a real QB against WVU. I think WVU is going to really struggle this year (not as bad, but almost like Louisville last year). And it helps that we have Paul Rhoads. I say we beat WVU, but WVU exposes our secondary. The next week Ole Miss has Chris Snead expose it even more and they upset us. Then we lose to UGA as Stafford continues to embarrass us by exposing our secondary even more. At this point we have just lost two straight SEC games and our secondary has lost all confidence. This is usually when Tuberville picks it up and has a big game and wins. Hopefully that is the case. It's just a prediction, that is all.

Pat White is a great running QB, but he is nothing to fear in the passing game.

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth - I say spuat will go 7-5 at best, maybe even 6-6 (loses to Clemson, Georgia, UT, LSU, Auburn, and maybe Arkansas)

:blink:

Why would you think the QB that guided the 114th ranked passing attack in the nation last year would expose our secondary?

They finally beat MSU and go to play Auburn to finally put an end to the streak. A senior QB and an Auburn team that started off really strong, but has a rough few last games, plus the motivation to finally defeat Auburn (period, and in T-Town) with Saban feeling the heat - finally pull off the miracle.

]

you may not be a bammer, but you are no AU fan. Why, oh why MS. Cleo will we have a rough "last few games"?

Will we also not be motivated to win again in t-town? surly you don't think they will win because its "time"?

You are one of the worst AU fans I have ever seen, you try so hard to not look through orange and blue glasses that you give AU no benefit of the doubt.

I lean more toward ellishugh's logic than anything. I think the Ole Miss, Miss St., UK, and Arky games are all 50/50 shots. I agree with most others about the BIG games mostly being losses, but they will probably find a way to win at least one of those, most likely a home game (not AUBURN). No way they win @ LSU or @ UGA. Most likely wins are going 2-2 in first 4 I mentioned.

As everyone knows defense is key to winning in the SEC. Look at UF last year, even with a Heisman winning QB, and a great O, they still struggled b/c of not so good D. Their O will be pretty decent at times. Finishing with 5-7 wins.

I take from the thread title that this is something EllisHugh saw on another site and is not his own.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think we (bama) will lose to UGA and Clemson. LSU will be a loss too. Iron Bowl to me is a toss up. I think Saban has all the pressure, but I agree....Auburn has more talent. I think realistically, Bama wins 7 or 8. Maybe 9 if we get Clemson.

BTW, classy post....I like to see someone that can be realistic and not bias.

8-4 with another loss to AU...and that's optimistic. I know ANYTHING can happen...but I just don't see how in the world Bamar scores any points on our D unless our secondary collapses completely...and I certainly don't see how they stop our offense. With that bunch, or lack of, lb's, their side to side pursuit will be wheezing by EARLY in the 3rd quarter...or sooner. This should be the biggest win we've had over Bamar, score wise, in a LOOONG time....

:au::homer:

and I certainly don't see how they stop our offense.

You have a new system that nobody has ever seen. You have a new coordinator that everyone will have to adjust to. You have no returning tenured starter.

And we have a good secondary.

You didn't exactly light up the scoreboard against us last year with a Senior QB at the helm.

an certain LSU fan told me not to bet with you...... B)

and I certainly don't see how they stop our offense.

You have a new system that nobody has ever seen. You have a new coordinator that everyone will have to adjust to. You have no returning tenured starter.

And we have a good secondary.

You didn't exactly light up the scoreboard against us last year with a Senior QB at the helm.

Uhhhhhh...did you even watch the Clemson game? 423 yards with 9 practices in 7 days. I know we still had Brandon, but Burns accounted for two of those TD's. And Clemson had one of the best D's in the country. Your logic, or the lack thereof, is astounding.

:au::homer:

Archived