Another game we should not be playing

AU alum

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/

"Auburn to host Samford in 2011

by Evan Woodbery, Press-Register

Wednesday August 20, 2008, 12:16 PM

Auburn will play Samford at Jordan-Hare Stadium in 2011, according to a news release from the Birmingham school.

The coolest storyline: Samford coach Pat Sullivan won the 1972 Heisman Trophy as a quarterback at Auburn.

Samford and Auburn have met 27 times, most recently in 1993. Auburn is 25-0-1.

The Auburn game in 2011 is expected to be the first weekend in November, although formal contracts have not been finalized.

Samford is a member of the Southern Conference in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA)."

If for even one minute, I thought we were playing Samford just because Pat Sullivan was the coach, I don't think I'd have a problem, or not much of one. But the reason we're playing Samford is to fill our schedule with teams that won't give us much of a problem. And games where we can make more money than usual. And I'm sick of it. Jay Jacobs, you're an idiot.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/

"Auburn to host Samford in 2011

by Evan Woodbery, Press-Register

Wednesday August 20, 2008, 12:16 PM

Auburn will play Samford at Jordan-Hare Stadium in 2011, according to a news release from the Birmingham school.

The coolest storyline: Samford coach Pat Sullivan won the 1972 Heisman Trophy as a quarterback at Auburn.

Samford and Auburn have met 27 times, most recently in 1993. Auburn is 25-0-1.

The Auburn game in 2011 is expected to be the first weekend in November, although formal contracts have not been finalized.

Samford is a member of the Southern Conference in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA)."

If for even one minute, I thought we were playing Samford just because Pat Sullivan was the coach, I don't think I'd have a problem, or not much of one. But the reason we're playing Samford is to fill our schedule with teams that won't give us much of a problem. And games where we can make more money than usual. And I'm sick of it. Jay Jacobs, you're an idiot.

I'm with you AUAlum, why schedule a 2011 game against Samford? That's 3 years down the road. Can't JJacobs find another OOC team that would be better to play? What is his mentality in scheduling this game? Because I can already hear the comments when 2011 rolls around and everyone is b!tcing about playing a patsy.... "Well the schedules are made years in advance, we can't help who we scheduled back in 2008." Jacobs needs a kick in the pants for this one. And, you would think with the complaining earlier this year he would have gotten the picture of how the fans feel about an OOC game like this one. :no:

Boo! Is it really that difficult to schedule a game against a Div I-A bottom feeder? Our credibility takes such a hit when we schedule these I-AA teams.

I will say, if we have to play a I-AA team, I'd rather it be an in-state team than an out of state team, but the point is we don't "have" to play them at all.

s***, if you're going to play Samford, why not throw South Alabama a bone?

I agree, to an extent. However, I see no benefit for a team like Auburn to be playing these DII teams (other than the all mighty $$$.)

So we will play Samford, but not UAB, nor Troy?

I thought the reason we didn't play UAB nor Troy, according to the fans anyways, is because we have nothing to gain.

Well, I said it before and I'll say it again - what do have to gain from this game? And to add to the fact that this is a team from the state of Alabama.... yea... I guess it is because Samford is soo bad, we wouldn't expect the possibility of losing to them. But apparently there is a possibility of us losing to UAB and Troy? Wow, to those who believe that, please just shut up because you have no clue what you are talking about. You can't live in fear. Technically, we could lose to anybody. But to think we would drop to UAB or Troy - dumb. Those same people would have to think we would lose to La Monroe or Southern Miss this year. Well, if you think we can lose to ULM or USM, why not make it interesting with UAB or Troy?

Troy and UAB are better choices. Both are Division I, or whatever they call it these days.

I agree that playing D-2 teams is not good. If we are going to play one anyway, then throwing Pat a bone is a OK. The convertional wisdom is that playing Troy or UAB gives them credibility and could take recruits away. I personally don't think that letting them play us will convince recruits to go to them instead of us.

I agree that playing D-2 teams is not good. If we are going to play one anyway, then throwing Pat a bone is a OK. The convertional wisdom is that playing Troy or UAB gives them credibility and could take recruits away. I personally don't think that letting them play us will convince recruits to go to them instead of us.

I doubt any Auburn recruits would be taken away by UAB. Even we got the dome in B'ham and the Blazers started playing there, I mean come on. Troy maybe, but then again, like PChamp said, we shouldn't be afraid to play against anybody. Troy has become a somewhat respectable opponent. I would say they're at least on the level of a Southern Miss if not better.

Ryan

Well, I respectfully disagree. We're throwing Samford a bone, money wise, and this is a glorified practice...like another scrimmage. Remember, we play a pretty black and blue schedule. We play 12 games now, as opposed to 10 just a few years ago, it seems. So I have no problem with it.

Is it the best of football games? No...but I do understand the rationale. Resting those starters and working on some things during a long, grueling season is very beneficial.

:au::homer:

Well, I respectfully disagree. We're throwing Samford a bone, money wise, and this is a glorified practice...like another scrimmage. Remember, we play a pretty black and blue schedule. We play 12 games now, as opposed to 10 just a few years ago, it seems. So I have no problem with it.

Is it the best of football games? No...but I do understand the rationale. Resting those starters and working on some things during a long, grueling season is very beneficial.

:au::homer:

I have no problem playing a cupcake. I agree with you that easy games are needed to start the season and halfway through the season as a rest.

I just think we should choose our cupcakes from the Div. I-A bakery.

This will be our homecoming game, Pat Sullivan is trying to build up his program

I see this as Auburn helping someone who has done nothing but great things for the University.

Get over it.

I think our schedule will be just fine in 2011:

Clemson

atLSU

BAMA

atGeorgia

Florida

Miss State

Ole Miss

Arky

at South Carolina

Samford

2 to be determined

This will be our homecoming game, Pat Sullivan is trying to build up his program

I see this as Auburn helping someone who has done nothing but great things for the University.

Get over it.

I think our schedule will be just fine in 2011:

Clemson

atLSU

BAMA

atGeorgia

Florida

Miss State

Ole Miss

Arky

at South Carolina

Samford

2 to be determined

Agree. People whine too much. It cost A LOT more to bring in a team like Troy or even UAB. They are at a premium because of the dumb BCS thing.

Another thing to think about. I think I heard it on the radio sometime a caller said his son is or was a walk on on the football team. These were the favorite games for him and his son because those were the games he knew he had a chance to play. These type games are great as a reward for the guys deep on the depth chart that work as hard as everybody else.

Why does anyone wanna play UAB anyway? They suck - hard.

I agree with those who claim it is nice for Samford / Pat Sullivan. But what happens if Sullivan bolts before then for a better opportunity?

My problem isn't booking Samford. My problem is not booking D-IA teams because we claim we can't, as well as not booking UAB and Troy.

I agree with those who claim it is nice for Samford / Pat Sullivan. But what happens if Sullivan bolts before then for a better opportunity?

My problem isn't booking Samford. My problem is not booking D-IA teams because we claim we can't, as well as not booking UAB and Troy.

It's about $$$.

Sullivan isn't going anywhere.

I wish Jay Jacobs would come out and say it is about the money, or letting everybody play. Don't hand out this bull that it is hard to find teams available.

Archived