The kiss of death...

Bama Possum

I was telling my dad Sunday that it would be great if SI did another "Bama's Back" cover, yet I thought there was no way because of what happened last time. I guess some are just doomed to repeat history.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what's so egregious about this one?

Nothing

It is good to see SI giving us Bama updates through covers every year

In 2005, Bama is Back!

In 2007, Saban is bringing Bama Back!

In 2008, Bama is Back to being a Force in the SEC!

If you can't see what is going on, you need to take off your glasses

Alabama fans work at the company and are doing whatever they can to get their team on the cover for exposure. It is pathetic and needs to be stopped.

If Bama beats AU and wins the SEC, I am fine with a cover

But please spare the rest of the country from the pleasure of Bama fans taking over a great sports magazine for their own enjoyment

I'm not saying that the NFL preseason is bigger. I'm saying that the NFL starting this week is a bigger story nationally. The NFL is the most popular sport in the US. That is the biggest story in the nation right now in sports.

So you think a magazine coming out while the NFL is still doing preseason games is a bigger story? You don't think that this week EVERY YEAR they do a college cover? Especially since the NFL cover will come NEXT week...after they play their first games?

Of course you do.

UCLA would have been bigger and made the cover had it not been played last night.

Yes...I do. There are a lot of storylines in the NFL that people care more about. THEY ARE DONE WITH PRESEASON GAMES. The first game of the NFL season is TOMORROW. That might not be a big deal to you, but more people care about the NFL. I personally like college ball better.

The fact that Bama is put on the cover after the CU game is an absolute joke and everyone here knows that I have no ill-will towards Bama

It was obvious why they got on the cover last time in 2005 or 2006 with the writer and others being Bama alumni

But, this is really unbelievable. The win was not THAT BIG to warrant a cover.

If they are going to put Bama on the front cover every time they win a big game, just admit you are doing it with bias in your blood instead of insulting the country that this news story is cover-worthy

uat is on the cover for one reason, and only one reason...They know the unwashed rednecks will sell coke bottles to buy anything with uat on the cover. They will then find someone to read the article to them. B)

I am sorry but, while Alabama did look good in that game, you are telling me that Clemson folding up and getting schooled was a bigger story than ECU beating the ACC Powerhouse VA Tech? I can't believe a major media outlet passed up a chance to talk about the shooting again either.

The Clemson vs. Alabama game just looked like a regular game to me. One team was ready, one was not. How is this a bigger story than a major upset of a national "powerhouse" like VA Tech?

If nothing else, as said above, a cover with "What's Going On in the ACC?" would be far more appropriate than Bama is Back, Again, Really This Time #3.

Heck, Mississippi State losing to LA Tech in Louisiana was a bigger story to be honest.

I think you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment, even though you say you're not.

Missouri

They have no D at all.

"Missouri is the story of the first week! They held Juice Williams to only 400 yards passing! WAY TO GO MIZZOU!"

:roflol:

Instead we got: "Alabama looked good in Week 1 against a disappointing Clemson team..." for 6 pages coupled with Bama is Back v.3.0 on the cover.

Missouri

They have no D at all.

"Missouri is the story of the first week! They held Juice Williams to only 400 yards passing! WAY TO GO MIZZOU!"

Instead we got: "Alabama looked good in Week 1 against a disappointing Clemson team..." for 6 pages coupled with Bama is Back v.3.0 on the cover.

Yeah, well I didn't want us on the cover! All this does is give totally retarded Bama fans some more crap to talk about.

...and everyone here knows that I have no ill-will towards Bama

Slink...buddy...there's still PLENTY of time to develop some...you're still a young man...you still have your health. B)

:au::homer:

The fact that Bama is put on the cover after the CU game is an absolute joke and everyone here knows that I have no ill-will towards Bama

It was obvious why they got on the cover last time in 2005 or 2006 with the writer and others being Bama alumni

But, this is really unbelievable. The win was not THAT BIG to warrant a cover.

If they are going to put Bama on the front cover every time they win a big game, just admit you are doing it with bias in your blood instead of insulting the country that this news story is cover-worthy

You're right. There were bigger stories from the college football weekend.

Should it have been Georgia beating Georgia Southern?

Florida romping Hawaii?

Face it, this was the most marquee matchup of the weekend, in the biggest primetime slot.

And they are capitalizing on it.

Plus they know they'll sell a ton of them.

Nope...it should have been:

Utah (or somebody) beating Michigan

East Carolina beating Va Tech

Bowling Green beating Pitt

...etc.

Missouri

They have no D at all.

Hey, we didn't ask for the cover, and frankly I wish they had not done this. The only time that I would want the cover of SI is after a national championship. It means something then. I haven't forgiven SI for 1992, when they had Miami on the cover as winning the championship and all ready for press even before the game was played. After Bama won, they had to rush out an issue and ended up printing two issues.

I don't rush out and buy these magazines, but I will read the articles on line, just because I'm curious. So don't think that every Bama fan rushes out and buys anything with the Bama name on it. I will admit that I did go a little crazy in 1992 with the Daniel Moore print, and a lot of other things, but not a lot since then.

We have the usual Bama Christmas gifts given by my family, and that is about it.

Most Bama Fans that I know are happy about the Clemson game, and we were pleasantly surprised and proud of our team, but we do realize that was just one game, and that we have 11 more, but you have to start somewhere. We feel that win could help us for the next games, because the guys won't be so down like they were in November last year. We want a good season, and feel that the Clemson game was a good start, but the season is long, and we don't want to rush it, because it was a long summer.

Don't put Bama fans down, because SI wants to make a buck. Frankly, I wouldn't care if they never put us on the cover.

Should it have been Georgia beating Georgia Southern?

If we had some people working at SI, apparently it would be

So because a Bama grad writes for SI, we can't EVER have a story in there ever again or it's bias?

Yeah...there's no bias.

Why I remember our cover last year when we beat Clemson in the Chic...oh wait...that didn't happen, did it? Dude...my bad.

Missouri

They have no D at all.

were they not the highest ranked matchup of the week? the Illini and Missouri game last year was a shootout as well.

But please spare the rest of the country from the pleasure of Bama fans taking over a great sports magazine for their own enjoyment

First of all, the magazine isn't OWNED by Bama fans.

You're telling me that because there's a writer there who's affiliated with Alabama, they're calling the shots? I'm not buying it. There are dozens of writers/shot callers at SI. They all have their own bias.

You still haven't told me a bigger storyline from week one.

They KNOW putting bama on the cover will sell copies. They KNOW that this Bama/Clemson game was the most hyped game of the opening week.

The game drew twice the ratings of any other game that week...so even non Alabama fans will remember it and buy the mag.

If they are going to do a college football opening week cover (like they do EVERY SINGLE YEAR)...you have to pick from college football stories. And the three biggest stories were: ACC is horrible, Bama had a VERY surprising win over the #9 team in the nation, the SEC is light years ahead of all other conferences.

This cover touches on ALL THREE OF THOSE STORIES.

It's a simple question (and also kills the NFL cover theory). Given what I said above, and given that they ALWAYS do a college openening week cover, and given that they want to sell as many mags as possible...please tell me why putting Bama on the cover is "extreme bias" and not good business?

Link, who SHOULD have mad the cover?

If they are going to do a college football opening week cover (like they do EVERY SINGLE YEAR)...you have to pick from college football stories. And the three biggest stories were: ACC is horrible, Bama had a VERY surprising win over the #9 team in the nation, the SEC is light years ahead of all other conferences.

This cover touches on ALL THREE OF THOSE STORIES.

instead of branching out and doing their actual jobs.....I am sure that is the way the SI writers thought of it if Bama beat CU

Anyway they sliced it, Bama is on the cover. I am sure they will be thinking of something similar in a 3-4 weeks if Bama gets another big win

I can see the title now

"SEC Title is soon to be Alabama's this year!"

"Nobody's ever been better then this year's team" (with some picture of an Alabama player)

"UF, UGA, LSU, AU all wish they were this good" (with some picture of an Alabama player)

I am sure they will think of things more creative and funny so everyone in the country can marvel at Bama on the cover

At least SI isn't as bad as the Huntsville Times, they don't have a picture of Saban on there every day or at least every other day. We get it Gattis, Saban is the head coach at Alabama, where are the pictures of Tubby?

When was the last time uat beat a Top 10 / ranked opponent? UF in '05? During that span, how many Top 10 / ranked opponents has :au: beaten?

Not trying to ruffle feathers - honestly curious. :)

I just figured out what this is all about. The guys at SI saw what happened with Forbes last week and they wanted their cut. Plain and simple.

I just figured out what this is all about. The guys at SI saw what happened with Forbes last week and they wanted their cut. Plain and simple.

With all the hype that has surrounded our program over the past two years, was there really any bigger story over the past week?

When Alabama delivers, they'll always get press. Whether it is about the size of our fan base and their spending limits, is another story...

Win, all that Alabama has been is hype the last two years. Maybe the Clemson game is the first stepping stone to Alabama showing substance behind the hype. You are correct that when Alabama delivers they get a lot of press, but they haven't delivered much in the past few years yet they get the press. It is just tired rhetoric with the "Bama is Back" buisness, until players from crimson are holding up a trophy somewhere other than Shreveport, I'm not going to fall over myself about their return to the top like SI.

With all the hype that has surrounded our program over the past two years, was there really any bigger story over the past week?

Hype the last two years? Saban's hiring and first few games brought hype....after that? Haven't seen any hype

When Alabama delivers, they'll always get press.

When you control what does and doesn't get press, I don't doubt it

Awesome. They can be on the cover every time they win and it would be more than fine by me. I never want to be on an SI cover again unless it's the season-ending special edition copy.

Archived