The kiss of death...

Bama Possum

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is like the Madden cover.... B)

Reminds me of the Pied Piper. I can't wait to see the rats going off the cliff and watching as Saban opens his parachute half way down and hollers to the helpless souls "it's part of the process."

That SI jinx is true. I remember the SI cover with Chris Porter on front, I don't even remember if we made the NIT after that.

The fact that Bama is put on the cover after the CU game is an absolute joke and everyone here knows that I have no ill-will towards Bama

It was obvious why they got on the cover last time in 2005 or 2006 with the writer and others being Bama alumni

But, this is really unbelievable. The win was not THAT BIG to warrant a cover.

If they are going to put Bama on the front cover every time they win a big game, just admit you are doing it with bias in your blood instead of insulting the country that this news story is cover-worthy

The fact that Bama is put on the cover after the CU game is an absolute joke and everyone here knows that I have no ill-will towards Bama

It was obvious why they got on the cover last time in 2005 or 2006 with the writer and others being Bama alumni

If they are going to put Bama on the front cover every time they win a big game, just admit you are doing it with bias in your blood instead of insulting the country that this news story is cover-worthy

Your right, that win was not bigg enough to warrent an SI cover.....but, ill take the positive publicity also. :)

That SI jinx is true. I remember the SI cover with Chris Porter on front, I don't even remember if we made the NIT after that.

The SI cover with Porter was the 2000 pre-season issue in which they proclaimed Auburn as #1. It was a jinx in effect that they weren’t able to duplicate the success of the 1999 season (29-4 and #1 seed) with 4 starters returning and lost Porter due to him accepting money from an agent. They did make it to the tourney in 2000 as a 7 seed and defeated Creighton only to get blown out by Iowa State in round 2.

1115_large.jpg

You're right. There were bigger stories from the college football weekend.

Should it have been Georgia beating Georgia Southern?

Florida romping Hawaii?

Face it, this was the most marquee matchup of the weekend, in the biggest primetime slot.

And they are capitalizing on it.

Plus they know they'll sell a ton of them.

If we had some people working at SI, apparently it would be

excellent

Plus, a better cover and story would have been the collapse of the ACC, complete with a mosaic of images from the losses. Alabama would have made that cover, too. But, it would have made more sense.

SI is becoming as irrelevant as the Huntsville Times.

So because a Bama grad writes for SI, we can't EVER have a story in there ever again or it's bias?

So because a Bama grad writes for SI, we can't EVER have a story in there ever again or it's bias?

1) You said story, I said front cover and there is a significant difference

2) You said ever, you know I know said ever

3) For the most part, 2 of the last 3 covers has been pure and absolute bias for Alabama due to workers wanting and getting to write about them instead of actual news that should be on the front cover

Make sure you understand what I am saying....because I am NOT saying Alabama isn't a big-time program AND I am not saying Alabama isn't worthy of getting a LOT of press. In fact, REMEMBER that I said Alabama would be the surprise pick last year in the West and have said the Bama/AU game will decide the West this year so I expect both teams in Alabama to do VERY well this year

With that said, the cover about Alabama in 2005 was an absolute disgrace. There was absolutely no reason WHATSOEVER to have a cover of Croyle with that statement of being back. It was obviously written by and put together by an Alabama alumni or hardcore fan. Seriously, explain to me why the UF game would somehow be worthy? Alabama was only 5-0 after the game with wins over MTSU, Southern Miss, 4-win Arkansas team, and South Carolina. THATS IT. If Alabama had beaten UF to be 9-0, 10-0, etc....I GET IT. But explain to me what exactly prompts a cover like that saying that? After Bama beat UF, there was hardly a HUGE UPROAR of people going nuts....there just wasn't. I didn't see every news outlet running with the story after.....it just wasn't as huge a game as SI made it out to be

I feel the same way about this cover. I could handle the Saban cover as I found that big news.

But, if the Bama alumni/fans want to keep putting Alabama covers, maybe it is time they just make it a weekly thing for every win including smaller games too? Heck, we could maybe get pictures of the SI staff cheering on Alabama during their games.

Southlink, it was said last week that whoever won the game was going on the cover. I'll find a link for it here in a bit if you'd like me to.

CU would never have been on the cover if they had won

Bank it

I am sure the writers at SI would say that only to backtrack if CU had won 60-10

No way they trash Bama on the front cover like that....I am sure the writers/admin would step in to stop it

But, if the Bama alumni/fans want to keep putting Alabama covers, maybe it is time they just make it a weekly thing for every win including smaller games too? Heck, we could maybe get pictures of the SI staff cheering on Alabama during their games.

So what were the bigger storylines in college football this weekend?

Separate yourself from the 05 cover.

What were the bigger storylines?

It is what it is. I'm sorry but because SI says Bama is back or the SEC should beware, doesn't make it true. I doubt that the SEC has to have SI screaming Bama is Back to take notice what Bama did against Clemson. I'm sure Richt and company will have to read the article several times to make sure they are up to date on this team known as Alabama.

I will be honest. I don't know off the top of my head.

I mean, come on, BG.....this is the 3rd time a statement following the lines of "Bama is Back!" that SI has put out since 2005.

Do you really not find that slightly odd?

What other news outlet has felt the need to say it....over.....and over.....and over.....

Did they think we didn't get it the first time?

Again, that is NOT me saying Bama is NOT back as you know damn well I have said Bama could win the West this year.....so I am not blasting the team but the publication

The biggest storyline right now in the country is NFL football. I'm guessing they did a preseason mag for that. I read in some forum that if Bama won that game, they would be on the cover. If they lost, Illinois or Missouri would be on the cover.

But the bigger storyline is the state of the ACC.

I think VA Tech being upset was a bigger story than Clemson being upset. Also think UCLA coming back after 4 int's to beat UT in overtime was a bigger story, but that one was probably too late to get the magazines printed for this week.

Don't get me wrong. I thought Alabama looked extremely good, and certainly deserves to be talked about.

I mean, come on, BG.....this is the 3rd time a statement following the lines of "Bama is Back!" that SI has put out since 2005.

I know the one in 2005 after we beat UF. And this one doesn't say "Bama is Back"...it indicates that those who were counting Bama out may be in for a surprise this season. And it highlights the fact that Bama rolled in the biggest game of the opening weekend.

NFL is not the biggest story right now because NFL was playing preseason games. If you think preseason NFL is bigger than the opening week of college football you're on drugs.

And I think this cover sort of does both. It indicates that Bama is stronger than once thought, and illustrates the state of the ACC at the same time.

Again, be mad about the 05 cover. But this one? I don't see how.

If you can't name a bigger story, and you KNOW SI is going to cover an opening weekend storyline...what's so egregious about this one?

I think VA Tech being upset was a bigger story than Clemson being upset. Also think UCLA coming back after 4 int's to beat UT in overtime was a bigger story, but that one was probably too late to get the magazines printed for this week.

I respectfully disagree. Va Tech wasn't ranked #9 in the nation. Nor were they playing in the most hyped game of the offseason at the prime time tv slot.

I know the one in 2005 after we beat UF. And this one doesn't say "Bama is Back"...it indicates that those who were counting Bama out may be in for a surprise this season. And it highlights the fact that Bama rolled in the biggest game of the opening weekend.

NFL is not the biggest story right now because NFL was playing preseason games. If you think preseason NFL is bigger than the opening week of college football you're on drugs.

And I think this cover sort of does both. It indicates that Bama is stronger than once thought, and illustrates the state of the ACC at the same time.

Again, be mad about the 05 cover. But this one? I don't see how.

If you can't name a bigger story, and you KNOW SI is going to cover an opening weekend storyline...what's so egregious about this one?

I respectfully disagree. Va Tech wasn't ranked #9 in the nation. Nor were they playing in the most hyped game of the offseason at the prime time tv slot.

I'm not saying that the NFL preseason is bigger. I'm saying that the NFL starting this week is a bigger story nationally. The NFL is the most popular sport in the US. That is the biggest story in the nation right now in sports.

I think Bama beating Clemson and maybe making some noise in the SEC is the third or fourth biggest story this week in sports. I think the ACC colapse is bigger. I think the NFL starting is bigger. I think UCLA and former player Rick Nieuheisal*spelling* is bigger, as someone else stated. Saying "SEC Beware" is a little premature after one game, albeit a big one. That is basically saying "bama's back", is it not?

I'm not saying that the NFL preseason is bigger. I'm saying that the NFL starting this week is a bigger story nationally. The NFL is the most popular sport in the US. That is the biggest story in the nation right now in sports.

So you think a magazine coming out while the NFL is still doing preseason games is a bigger story? You don't think that this week EVERY YEAR they do a college cover? Especially since the NFL cover will come NEXT week...after they play their first games?

Of course you do.

UCLA would have been bigger and made the cover had it not been played last night.

Archived