Hudspeth resigns at UNA

CircleDrill

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20081214...udspeth_resigns

UNA's Hudspeth resigns

By Jeff McIntyre

Assistant Sports Editor

Published: Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 3:30 a.m.

Last Modified: Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 12:12 a.m.

Mark Hudspeth, who led North Alabama to the playoffs in five of his seven seasons as head coach, has resigned to take a position on the staff at Mississippi State.

Hudspeth interviewed with new Bulldogs coach Dan Mullen on Friday and sent UNA athletics director Mark Linder his resignation Saturday night via text message. Hudspeth will become passing game coordinator at Mississippi State.

In seven seasons with the Lions, Hudspeth compiled a record of 66-21. He led the Lions to Gulf South Conference championships in 2003 and 2006. UNA made it to the Division II quarterfinals twice and to the semifinals three times in Hudspeth's seven seasons.

Hudspeth said he interviewed for the head coaching job at Mississippi State on Monday. When Mullen was hired, he brought in Hudspeth for an interview Friday and offered him the job Saturday.

Hudspeth said he expects to be officially announced at Mississippi State on Monday.

"It's a great job in the SEC, and also a chance to go home," Hudspeth said. "I grew up a Mississippi State fan, and always dreamed of a chance to coach there. My ties to the state, especially in recruiting, had a lot to do with me getting the job, as did coaching at the top Division II program in the country at UNA.

"I can't thank everyone at UNA enough for the opportunity I've had to lead the program the past seven years. The staff and players have been great, and the support from the university and the community backed us so well.

"It's hard to leave a place where you put your heart and soul into the program. UNA is such a great institution, and I hope the people there feel like it's a better place because of my being there for seven years."

Hudspeth, who also interviewed for the head coaching position at Tennessee-Chattanooga last week, said he felt like he would work well with Mullen, who comes to Mississippi State after four years as Florida's offensive coordinator.

"We're about the same age; I think it's a good match," Hudspeth said.

"He wanted somebody that was familiar with the spread offense and also someone that was a high-energy guy. Mississippi State won eight games two years ago, so I feel like we can win there."

UNA defensive coordinator Karl Morgan has been a member of Hudspeth's staff for four seasons. He said he was not surprised at the news.

"I had a feeling that he would be branching out soon," Morgan said. "It's a good move for him. Anytime you get an opportunity for a position like that in the GSC; it's a no-brainer.

"Coach Hud has been very good to me and let me do my thing with our defense. I'm thankful for the opportunity that he gave me, and I'm going to miss working with him."

With school already out for Christmas, there was no team meeting to announce Hudspeth's resignation. The UNA players were not shocked to hear of Hudspeth's resignation.

"I knew it would happen eventually," offensive lineman Eric Richardson said. "Everybody wants to move up, so you can't blame him. The SEC is as high as it gets in college football, so I'm sure it's a good move for him."

Hudspeth led UNA to a 12-2 record this season. The Lions advanced to the semifinals, where they lost 41-7 to Northwest Missouri. The Lions have won at least 10 games each of the past four seasons.

"He's done an outstanding job here," center Mike Horton said. "Coach Hud was always full of passion and intensity. He really connected to the players, and got the best out of us every play. He has been good for us, and I wish him the best."

UNA President Dr. Bill Cale said Hudspeth has helped add to the strong football tradition at UNA. "Because our program is nationally competitive, I would expect that we will attract an outstanding group of candidates who are interested in being the next head football coach at UNA."

"There is no question that Mark Hudspeth will be missed," Cale said in a statement. "He has built upon our strong tradition and recruited excellent student athletes who impress us both with their talent and their academic success."

Morgan said the remaining staff will meet with athletics director Mark Linder on Monday to discuss the future of the program. Morgan said he would like to be considered for the new head coach.

"Being a head coach is something I would like to try, and I would like to talk with them about it," Morgan said.

"Not everyone is cut out to be a head coach, but it is definitely something I would be interested in, that or possibly staying on under another head coach. Florence is a great place to live and I love it here. But if it doesn't work out - have whistle, will travel."

Hudspeth said that because of recruiting, he could not waste any time in making his decision.

"We're behind the 8-ball already by coming in late," Hudspeth said. "We've got only seven days to recruiting before the dead period begins. I'll take the NCAA test Sunday so I can hit the road recruiting Monday and begin getting acclimated to the new position.

"It's been a great run at UNA with three trips to the semifinals. I would have loved to cap it off with a national championship, but we came up short. But everything is in place to continue winning at UNA.

"I'm sure they will get the right person in there to make sure UNA is right back in the hunt for that national championship."

Jeff McIntyre can be reached at 740-5737 or jeff.mcintyre@TimesDaily.com.

Archived