AROD tested positive for steroids

SouthLink02

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/base...oids/index.html

:no:

In 2003, when he won the American League home run title and the AL Most Valuable Player award as a shortstop for the Texas Rangers, Alex Rodriguez tested positive for two anabolic steroids, four sources have independently told Sports Illustrated.

Rodriguez's name appears on a list of 104 players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in Major League Baseball's '03 survey testing, SI's sources say. As part of a joint agreement with the MLB Players Association, the testing was conducted to determine if it was necessary to impose mandatory random drug testing across the major leagues in 2004.

When approached by an SI reporter on Thursday at a gym in Miami, Rodriguez declined to discuss his 2003 test results. "You'll have to talk to the union," said Rodriguez, the Yankees' third baseman since his trade to New York in February 2004. When asked if there was an explanation for his positive test, he said, "I'm not saying anything."

Hopefully pro baseball will just die now, so we won't have to hear about it during football season.

Amen brother. And that positive test comes as now surprise to me. I have been telling anyone that would listen for about 8 years now that steriod use is rampid.

Professional baseball shouldn't die.

The careers of players who test postive should die.

If that happened there wouldnt be enough left to field all the teams in the MLB.

There are probably fewer players juicing today than in quite some time with all the attention. The ones still playing "steroid roulette" are crazy or stupid. Maybe there are more than I think, and if so, you may be right.

It would suit me fine if there were fewer teams and a shorter season. Something's inherently wrong with baseball being played passed the end of September.

I agree that the AMOUNT of players juicing is MUCH lower than the past but I still think a good bit are cheating still. It isn't that they stopped juicing, they are just finding new ways around it. Whether it is drugs not banned yet or drugs not tested yet, I still think people are finding ways around the rules

Good for him

Admitting it and saying SORRY will end this circus before it really explodes.

I am not saying the story will EVER DIE but just the crazy "Did he/Didn't he" questions will not continue for much longer.

Good for him

I am not saying the story will EVER DIE but just the crazy "Did he/Didn't he" questions will not continue for much longer.

Andy Pettitte and Jason Giambi agree. B)

There are probably fewer players juicing today than in quite some time with all the attention. The ones still playing "steroid roulette" are crazy or stupid. Maybe there are more than I think, and if so, you may be right.

It would suit me fine if there were fewer teams and a shorter season. Something's inherently wrong with baseball being played passed the end of September.

How and why in the world did baseball ever get to 160+ games? That's too many even for avid fans. Each game by itself is meaningless because there are 161 others that you could have played better in.

The sad thing is that A-Roid was putting up great numbers before he start supposedly taking them in 2001. From 1998-2000, he was averaging 40 HRs and with a batting average right around .300. With those type of numbers, why did he feel like he even needed to start taking PEDs in 2001?

Or, is he lying and did he really start taking them in 1998? When you are caught doing something like this, those are the types of questions that will linger over your career, regardless of what you have admitted too. Nobody knows when you are really being honest or when you are just telling half-truths.

Good for him

Im glad he came out and actually said he took steroids or whatever it was. Did you watch the ESPN interview? I watched it, I think I believe him when he says he is sorry and was young and stupid...yada yada yada.

To me, its baseball's own fault. I think steriods have been around the game for a long time, and I feel like they didnt do much about it until recently. Im not saying its right, its wrong for sure. But, I think that baseball should have been much harder on steriod use. I think the NFL has some pretty strong rules agianst steroid use. Can someone enlighten me?

The sad thing is that A-Roid was putting up great numbers before he start supposedly taking them in 2001. From 1998-2000, he was averaging 40 HRs and with a batting average right around .300. With those type of numbers, why did he feel like he even needed to start taking PEDs in 2001?

Or, is he lying and did he really start taking them in 1998? When you are caught doing something like this, those are the types of questions that will linger over your career, regardless of what you have admitted too. Nobody knows when you are really being honest or when you are just telling half-truths.

I think he took them before the Rangers time

I think he took them before the Rangers time

Most likely.

Do you think Ken Griffey Jr & Frank Thomas are both sitting back smiling over all this?

If you ever want to see a player that makes you go...um...what?

Check out Brady Anderson - http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/anderbr01.shtml

Dude hits:

1992 - 23 HR's

1993 - 13 HR's

1994 - 12 HR's

1995 - 16 HR's

1996 - 50 HR's

:roflol:

Do you think Ken Griffey Jr & Frank Thomas are both sitting back smiling over all this?

Dude hits:

1992 - 23 HR's

1993 - 13 HR's

1994 - 12 HR's

1995 - 16 HR's

1996 - 50 HR's

I remember that, the Braves were looking at signing him after he hit all of those HR's in 95. But, I think he re-signed with the O's. Anyway, I dont think he hit more than like 20 hrs the rest of his career.

Dude hits:

1992 - 23 HR's

1993 - 13 HR's

1994 - 12 HR's

1995 - 16 HR's

1996 - 50 HR's

a lot of ALTERNATE rumors out there on Brady as well.... <_<

Brett Boone as well.......

Did MLB not have steroids on their banned substance list back then? I don't keep up with MLB at all, because I think they are all over paid crybabies. If it was on a banned list why wasn't this loser and the others suspended? It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see MLB fold and go away completely.

Sorry, but Alex rodriguez is a LIAR AND A FRAUD. How could he sit in that interview and tell everybody watching that he didnt know what he was taking? Is he that stupid? He's gonna put something into his body without knowing what it is? Give me a break. This loser knew exactly what he was doing and he should be banned from baseball for it right along with all the others. If he really didn't know what he was taking and putting into his body, he's probably the dumbest human being walking the earth. Its certainly possible, but unlikely IMO. TO hell with MLB...waste of time anyway...

He's an idiot but there wasn't a steroid policy in place at the time. He had a chance to be a stand up guy (Andy Pettite) and admit what he did, accept the blame and criticism and move on with his career. He's trying too hard to say he's a jack ass without actually admitting. He admitted he did it but he's still dancing around it. Stick with the "I was young and stupid" story. Admit you knew what you were taking and why you took it and move on with your career.

This is somewhere in between Pettite and Bonds, in my opinion and he has far too much of his career ahead of him to handle this the wrong way.

Archived