New Basketball Arena

Proud Tiger

I haven't seem an update on the new BB arena here in awhile. For those interested, I walked by on the way to the game yesterday. It's really taking shape. I have no idea what percentage of construction is finished. Maybe a student could go by and take a pic to post here. I didn't bring a camera with me.

The capacity has been raised according to folks here on campus. A letter went out the other day for faculty/staff that has it back to 10,000. It could have been a typo.

i'd say that it's about 25 percent complete. there is still a lot of form work to to be done a lot of concrete to be poured. if you want to check out the progress from day to day look at the live web cam.

mms://athwms.auburn.edu/arenacam

it will not let me post the link so you guys will have to copy and paste the above link in your browser.

I’m sure it has been posted somewhere but I don’t remember what do they plan for Beard – Eaves? Demolition or use for something else?

I talked to someone from facilities when they were moving some of our archaeological collections. I specifically asked her what the plans were. She said that at that time, which was months ago, that it was to be used for overflow for all the other demos/renovations. After that it was to be razed and a parking garage built. However, after dealing with that department for a while I have come to the conclusion that they never really know what's going to happen until about two weeks before it is supposed to. Example: The Haley Center has gone back and forth from being renovated to torn down about five times in the last year or so.

large_Arena.JPG

The media received a tour of Auburn's new 90-something-million-dollar basketball arena Monday -- or at least the construction site -- and things are going up ahead of schedule. The arena won't be ready until the 2010-11 season no matter what, but you can see where everything will be. It's going to seat some 9,000 fans -- and it will be very quaint. Every seat should be close to the floor and every seat should be outstanding.

The highlight, though: The tentative plan is to implode/tear down Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum in five years.

We shot video and we'll be back with that and more details later.

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2009/02/new_au...l_arena_ah.html

Can I ask a dumb question...in the aerial pics, the arena already looks to be enclosed (full circle) so how do they get the crane outta there? With a bigger crane? ;)

It's going to be a great addition to the athletic makeup of Auburn University. Let's hope the ladies continue to rise up and the men follow. I can't wait.

It's going to be a great addition to the athletic makeup of Auburn University. Let's hope the ladies continue to rise up and the men follow. I can't wait.

I won't touch this one with a 10' pole :big:

Can I ask a dumb question...in the aerial pics, the arena already looks to be enclosed (full circle) so how do they get the crane outta there? With a bigger crane? ;)

Shhhhh, wait until the Civil Engineers realize they have a problem. :P

Seriously, I'm not sure but I think there is a ground level exit portal big enough for the crane to go thru with the boom horizontal.

Here is a good video of the on the new arena narrrated by Randy Byars, Director of athletic facilities planing, as posted on Auburn Undercover. Note there is also a link to a pic gallery of the construction.

http://www.auburnundercover.com/news/artic...na-construction

Seriously, I'm not sure but I think there is a ground level exit portal big enough for the crane to go thru with the boom horizontal.

Found the crane exit :) ...

large_011.JPG

large_026.JPG

Found the crane exit :) ...

large_011.JPG

large_026.JPG

Are they going to have like chariot races and lion fights?

Are they going to have like chariot races and lion fights?

Yep. The Tigers are gonna take the wheels off the Turd's chariots and the lions will finish them off while

:au: fans :cheer:

large_Arena.JPG

The media received a tour of Auburn's new 90-something-million-dollar basketball arena Monday -- or at least the construction site -- and things are going up ahead of schedule. The arena won't be ready until the 2010-11 season no matter what, but you can see where everything will be. It's going to seat some 9,000 fans -- and it will be very quaint. Every seat should be close to the floor and every seat should be outstanding.

The highlight, though: The tentative plan is to implode/tear down Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum in five years.

We shot video and we'll be back with that and more details later.

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2009/02/new_au...l_arena_ah.html

they take it apart in sections. when they brought it in the tracks were on two different trucks.

• 2 weeks later...

The roof structure is now being put in place... and boy, the project is really starting to come together. I'll try and get some pics soon because it already looks beautiful.

Archived