Father who married daughter ordered back to prison

Tiger in Spain

Remember this story from last summer? In light of recent developments in San Francisco, isn't it now considered discrimination and a violation of civil rights to bar two adults from consensual activities? I mean, once the door's been opened to one kind of deviation you have no grounds to close it to other kinds. After all, wouldn't this qualify as a equally (liberal quote) "loving, stable realtionship between two consenting adults" as the debauchery taking place out in SF?

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) -- A 53-year-old man was sent back to prison after a judge decided the man had violated a probation order barring him from cohabitation with his 30-year-old daughter, who is also his former wife.

Mobile County Circuit Judge John Lockett ordered Carroll Eugene Ferdinandsen to prison on Thursday after determining he violated a probation order barring him from cohabitation with Alice Ferdinandsen.

Each had pleaded guilty to incest last summer in connection with their May 2003 civil marriage in Mobile County and served six months in jail before being released in January.

Prosecutors presented police witnesses who testified they found the father and daughter together in motel rooms on two occasions, just days after the couple's release from jail.

Each had pleaded guilty to incest last summer and served six months in jail before being released in January.

Lockett ordered Carroll Ferdinandsen to serve the remainder of a 10-year sentence.

The judge said the state had not proved its case against Alice Ferdinandsen and ruled she had not violated her probation.

I have never read anything about that, but now that I have, that is just GROSS!

What is this world coming to and how sick can people get these days?

Guest AuNuma1
In light of recent developments in San Francisco, isn't it now considered discrimination and a violation of civil rights to bar two adults from consensual activities? I mean, once the door's been opened to one kind of deviation you have no grounds to close it to other kinds. After all, wouldn't this qualify as a equally (liberal quote) "loving, stable realtionship between two consenting adults" as the debauchery taking place out in SF?

Man's got a point.

In light of recent developments in San Francisco, isn't it now considered discrimination and a violation of civil rights to bar two adults from consensual activities? I mean, once the door's been opened to one kind of deviation you have no grounds to close it to other kinds. After all, wouldn't this qualify as a equally (liberal quote) "loving, stable realtionship between two consenting adults" as the debauchery taking place out in SF?

Man's got a point.

I second that.

Looks like we wont be seeing Tim for awhile

LOL! You crack me up!!

What I don't get is how the father can have his probation violated for cohabitation with the daughter, but hers was not violated? Don't these go hand in hand? Seems stupid, but this whole situation is unreal.

My husband pointed out that as long as one or both were sterilized so no messed up kids could result from their "union", why shouldn't two consenting adults be able to have sex - granted, very gross sex, but to many, no worse than homosexual sex? This whole gay marriage thing is starting to open up Pandora's Box.

Still waiting for the stunningly brilliant exposition of how the argument for homosexual marriage doesn't also apply to a situation like this.

I don't see how it does, although I do see how someone could try to make it.

I think it is understood from history that reproduction involving closely related individuals is not good for medical reasons. Of course if you believe in the Bible it is hard to see how there wasn't some incest going on somewhere. It was necessary then(if thats how it all happened), but it is not now. I don't think marriages involving closely related family members will be approved by society in the forseeable future. The possible medical repercussions will keep that from happening. However, I do think there is more of a chance of some of the other types you listed in another thread. Ex. marriage between one man and several women, etc.

Who said anything about reproduction? Why couldn't a father and daughter get married and not have children? Is the medical issue the only reason it's outlawed or does it have a moral basis? The argument for homosexual marriage is perfectly applicable here...consenting adults, not hurting anybody else, etc.

Yeah I mean why would anyone ever bring reproduction into the whole marriage thing :lol: .

I don't know how much morals enters into it. I do know that your whole argument seems to be based on the fact that everyone is going to equate two unrelated males or females marrying with a father marrying a son or a father and daughter marrying. I know I don't equate the two and neither do many that I know. I have to believe that most congressman and judges and lawyers don't as well. I think most people see a huge problem with incestual marriages and incest as well for the reasons I listed as well as moral arguments.

I see your point I just don't think the connection is remotely as strong as you are making it.

Though I have heard some discussions of this kind of stuff in public this forum is the only place where people seem to be blowing the possible consequences way out of proportion. I'm sure some in the press are doing the same.

Why couldn't a father and daughter get married and not have children?

OK, I'll be devil's advocate...If they're both consenting adults, why shouldn't they be allowed to marry?

Archived