Auburn surges into NCAA consideration

aucat

The Auburn Tigers have won eight of their last nine games, become the nation's fastest rising team and brushed aside regular-season Southeastern Conference champion LSU by 16 points.

Auburn's power ratings have jumped 52 points to No. 64 since beating Tennessee to start the hot streak on Feb. 7, according to collegerpi.com. No team has climbed faster during that span.

The Tigers have won six games during the hot streak by double-digit margins. They have done it with defense, yielding a league-low 64.2 points per game.

Asked what he would say to the tournament selection committee, Hargrove responded: "I would say we've worked very, very hard this season. We're in the SEC. We have a winning record. You can see the resume. Our play speaks for itself.''

All sounds good to me. A win over UF in the SEC Tourney and I don't know how you can keep them out.

The biggest nonconference win: 58-56 over Virginia, which is 4-12 in the ACC - same as Auburn finished a year ago in the SEC.

We were 6-10, right?

Sadly, no...in fact, we've gone 4-12 three of the last four years.

'07-'08 season

I'd like to see us get past Florida, then knock off the Vols again for good measure. 10 of 11 + LSU, UF, and UT in succession = Big Dance.

The biggest nonconference win: 58-56 over Virginia, which is 4-12 in the ACC - same as Auburn finished a year ago in the SEC.

We were 6-10, right?

Sadly, no...in fact, we've gone 4-12 three of the last four years.

'07-'08 season

I'd like to see us get past Florida, then knock off the Vols again for good measure. 10 of 11 + LSU, UF, and UT in succession = Big Dance.

7-9 two years ago:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/schedu...2&year=2007

It's going to take a lot more than a W against UF. It will also take things like teams winning their tournaments that are already locks.

And I doubt the committee looks at the AU-UF game as the decision maker. They have a lot on their mind right now.

I will very surprised if we make the tournament. We have done too little too late.

Surely with UNI winning its conference tourney that will be a little bit more favorable for us, even though we lost to them, they are still the champs of a conference.

I think a win over the UF/Arky winner, hopefully UF, b/c Arky winning that will do nothing much for us, will get us in. It would be a smack in the face if we don't with 10 conference wins. I am just happy to see us in the post season. We just need to make it easy for the Committee and win the SEC Tourney!!!!

Surely with UNI winning its conference tourney that will be a little bit more favorable for us, even though we lost to them, they are still the champs of a conference.

I think a win over the UF/Arky winner, hopefully UF, b/c Arky winning that will do nothing much for us, will get us in. It would be a smack in the face if we don't with 10 conference wins. I am just happy to see us in the post season. We just need to make it easy for the Committee and win the SEC Tourney!!!!

I dont care for the whole RPI thing. In latest pol that has UNC number 1, we are ranked 31st. I will say 8 of those are locks at least to get automatic bid with a conference tourney championship. That leaves 23 left of top 31. How can a selection committe if we dont fall in the at top 23 not make one of final 11 at large bids? St. Marys and Davidson seem to have blown there at large shots.

I want to see us win this thing and tell "THE ESPN":

"HERE WE ARE"... ;)

I want to see us win this thing and tell "THE ESPN":

"HERE WE ARE"... ;)

Pat Forde from ESPN picked us to win the SEC tourney.

I think if we can get past Friday, we're in good shape. Assuming we play Florida, it will be a home game atmosphere for them. Their backs are against the wall, and Donovan has a little more experience in the pressure games than Lebo does.

With that said, if we keep the defensive pressure up to the level it's been the last two weeks or so, we'll be in good shape. Get Waller heated up from 3 point range and I'll feel even better.

I think if we can get past Friday, we're in good shape. Assuming we play Florida, it will be a home game atmosphere for them. Their backs are against the wall, and Donovan has a little more experience in the pressure games than Lebo does.

With that said, if we keep the defensive pressure up to the level it's been the last two weeks or so, we'll be in good shape. Get Waller heated up from 3 point range and I'll feel even better.

:muscles:

Yeah, I wish K.B. and his teammates can practice hard in the next a few days to imrove FT rate, AND keep stealing!

:noevil:

Oh and one more fact for the "You can't leave a team out with 10 conference wins" and "Beating UF will do the trick, I don't see why not." :

In 2007, Syracuse went 10-6 in the Big East. The Big East in basketball is equivalent to the SEC in football.

Also, a lot of pundits don't like South Carolina and they have the same SEC record and a better overall record. And Auburn's non-conference schedule is not much better, if at all, than South Carolina's.

The sooner some of you guys realize that Auburn needs to win the SEC Tournament to get in, the less you will be disappointed.

Oh and one more fact for the "You can't leave a team out with 10 conference wins" and "Beating UF will do the trick, I don't see why not." :

In 2007, Syracuse went 10-6 in the Big East. The Big East in basketball is equivalent to the SEC in football.

Also, a lot of pundits don't like South Carolina and they have the same SEC record and a better overall record. And Auburn's non-conference schedule is not much better, if at all, than South Carolina's.

The sooner some of you guys realize that Auburn needs to win the SEC Tournament to get in, the less you will be disappointed.

All along I've felt making it to the SEC finals means we are in. Anything short, and don't get your hopes up.

We beat :uf: and lose in the semis, it depends how the chips fall elsewhere - thus far, the Cleveland States of the world aren't helping our cause. We win two this weekend (i.e., make the championship game), I'd be very surprised if don't get into the NCAAs.

Like others, though, I'm for winning the SEC, and leaving nothing to chance. No reason - NONE - why we can't.

WAR EAGLE!!! BEAT FLORIDA!!!

:au:

I'm not getting my hopes about Auburn getting an at large bid right now at this very point in time. I'm just chapped that Lunardi and the other "bracket heads" scoff at Auburn while drool at other bubble teams like Maryland that are limping into their conference tourneys. The Big East and the ACC are going to gobble up a lot of at large bids and rightfully so because UConn, Louisville, Pitt, Duke, UNC, Wake, Clemson, BC, Marquette all can't win the conference tourney. But teams like Maryland, VaTech, Providence, Miami are teams that could take another at large spot and frankly they are not playing near as well as Auburn but have that "big" win.

I'm not getting my hopes about Auburn getting an at large bid right now at this very point in time. I'm just chapped that Lunardi and the other "bracket heads" scoff at Auburn while drool at other bubble teams like Maryland that are limping into their conference tourneys. The Big East and the ACC are going to gobble up a lot of at large bids and rightfully so because UConn, Louisville, Pitt, Duke, UNC, Wake, Clemson, BC, Marquette all can't win the conference tourney. But teams like Maryland, VaTech, Providence, Miami are teams that could take another at large spot and frankly they are not playing near as well as Auburn but have that "big" win.

Cleveland State took away a bid from somebody last night, with their win over Butler. If they had not won their tournament championship they would have probably been left out, while Butler was pretty much already a lock to get in.

Clevelenad State took away a bid from somebody last night, with their win over Butler. If they had not won their tournament championship they would have probably been left out, while Butler was pretty much already a lock to get in.

Butler didnt do us any favors last night thats for sure.

I didn't know this was possible... and maybe I misinterpreted it on Sports Center... but didn't a NCAA division 2 team make the dance?

I didn't know this was possible... and maybe I misinterpreted it on Sports Center... but didn't a NCAA division 2 team make the dance?

No, it was North Dakota state i believe and it is there first year eligible for the dance.

Cleveland State - an example of what I wrote of what Auburn needed. You guys gotta think of these things before sporting off "win this game and they should be in." For those of you not getting your hopes up - good. But I sense some of you are still going to be disappointed when AU hosts an NIT game.

Winning the SEC tourny is the ONLY way. There are no ifs ands or buts. Nothing will get Auburn in unless they win the SEC tourny. Quit thinking bubble. Our chances of getting in are just as good as they were a month ago - not good.

Cleveland State - an example of what I wrote of what Auburn needed. You guys gotta think of these things before sporting off "win this game and they should be in." For those of you not getting your hopes up - good. But I sense some of you are still going to be disappointed when AU hosts an NIT game.

Winning the SEC tourny is the ONLY way. There are no ifs ands or buts. Nothing will get Auburn in unless they win the SEC tourny. Quit thinking bubble. Our chances of getting in are just as good as they were a month ago - not good.

We definately need some help. We need South Carolina to bomb out. Hope UF wins and take care of them. Then hope Tennessee takes care of business and beat them. It would be nice to get some help from outside the conference by automatics winning there conferences. We dont need any UGA teams like last year running through a conference tourney. It can all be settle if we just take care of our business and win it all this weekend. Kind of like football with bcs do your work on the field and dont worry about hoping the computers find a formula to fit you in.

This simply isn't true. Palm, Lunardi, and others have all budged from their previous stance that we have no shot without winning the tourney. If we beat Florida and win on Saturday also, we could easily move to the top of the SEC's bubble teams and take an at large bid should we lose respectably Sunday. It is not win or bust, nor should it be.

If we lose Friday night, NIT. If we lose Saturday, 75% NIT/ 25% NCAA. If we lose Sunday, it's a lot closer to 50/50 shot.

This simply isn't true. Palm, Lunardi, and others have all budged from their previous stance that we have no shot without winning the tourney. If we beat Florida and win on Saturday also, we could easily move to the top of the SEC's bubble teams and take an at large bid should we lose respectably Sunday. It is not win or bust, nor should it be.

If we lose Friday night, NIT. If we lose Saturday, 75% NIT/ 25% NCAA. If we lose Sunday, it's a lot closer to 50/50 shot.

Don't waste your breath with PC, his word is the only word and we must treat it like the gospel. Does anybody see the SEC perking back up in the next few years because I don't. I highly doubt UGA or Bama are going to make barn burning hires and the returning talent is just ok outside of some exceptional players like Calathes at UF.

I continue to reiterate that the SEC is going to get at least 4 teams in. Lunardi and everyone else can claim otherwise, but they're going to be wrong. Period. Wait and see. I don't care that he gets 63 of 65 teams right every year... THAT'S NOT HARD. There are so many automatic bids and lock teams that any idiot could come up with that going 63 of 65 is basically the same as going 10 of 12. He's wrong once or twice every year on these bubble spots, and this is going to be one of his misses. There is a zero percent chance the Big Ten gets 8 teams in (his current field) and the SEC gets 3. It just won't happen (and shouldn't).

I think there are 29 automatic bids. That would mean that 8 Big Ten teams are in the top 36 excluding those teams, which is patently untrue. If we beat UF, we'll have 9 of the last 10, a 3-5 record against RPI top 60, and an RPI inside the top 60. That would put us well ahead of every ACC bubble team (the U, VaTech, and Maryland... who all finished with losing conference records and limped into the final week). If we beat UT, we'd have 10 of the last 11, 4 RPI top 50 wins (including 3 straight), and an RPI of AT LEAST the top 55 (possibly higher). If we do that, we're in. I'll be anyone here. That's dependent on playing and beating both UF and UT (beating Arkansas or Vandy/Bama won't have the same impact), but if we beat both of those teams... we're off the bubble.

Archived