DeWanna Bonner chosen 5th

jdub5793

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=4056202

SECAUCUS, N.J. -- The Atlanta Dream selected Angel McCoughtry with the first pick in the WNBA draft on Thursday.

The Louisville forward averaged 22.8 points and 9.5 rebounds during her last three years and led the Cardinals to the NCAA championship game Tuesday against winner Connecticut.

"I was quite honored and it was very humbling," McCoughtry said. "I want to thank Atlanta for believing in me and believing we get take this program to another level and contend for a WNBA championship."

She joins a vastly improved Atlanta team a year after finishing its inaugural season 4-30 and setting the WNBA record for losses. The Dream have added former All-Stars Chamique Holdsclaw and Michelle Snow, as well as Nikki Teasley and Sancho Lyttle in the offseason.

Washington took Maryland's Marissa Coleman with the No. 2 pick. The 6-foot-1 forward averaged 18.1 points and 8.6 rebounds while helping the Terrapins reach the NCAA regional semifinals.

"It means a lot," Coleman said of being the second overall pick. "Just kind of seals the deal as hard as I've worked to get to this point."

Maryland teammate Kristi Toliver was selected next by Chicago after averaging a team-high 18.4 points, 4.9 assists and 3.2 rebounds.

The Minnesota Lynx took Connecticut's Renee Montgomery with the fourth pick. Montgomery had career-bests of 16.5 points and 5.1 assists this season while helping the Huskies finish the season 39-0 for their sixth national championship.

Auburn's DeWanna Booner was taken by Phoenix at No. 5, followed by Arizona State's Briann January heading to Indiana. Sacramento selected Oklahoma center Courtney Paris, the first four-time AP All-American, at No. 7. Rutgers' Kia Vaughn went to the New York Liberty and the Lynx picked Virginia Commonwealth's Quanitra Hollingsworth.

Rounding out the first round: Duke's Chante Black went to Connecticut at No. 10; Pittsburgh's Shavonte Zellous to defending champion Detroit; California's Ashley Walker to Seattle; and Purdue's Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton to Los Angeles at No. 13.

Whitney Boddie was chosen in the 2nd round as the 20th overall pick to the Sacramento Monarchs. War Eagle to both of these young ladies!

Archived