Bammers making money at the mall

BZ770

I will say that I have seen a lot of "redneck" looking Alabama fans as of late. I really can't say I have seen many AU redneck fans or any to that effect. They all suddenly vanished or something around October. Matter of fact it was like the following week after AU got beat by Vandy that I stopped seeing them altogether. Haven't seen but one or two since. Hmm weird....

Here is a time line: http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-foot...sched-2008.html

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say that I have seen a lot of "redneck" looking Alabama fans as of late. I really can't say I have seen many AU redneck fans or any to that effect. They all suddenly vanished or something around October. Matter of fact it was like the following week after AU got beat by Vandy that I stopped seeing them altogether. Haven't seen but one or two since. Hmm weird....

Here is a time line: http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-foot...sched-2008.html

At what point on your timeline did your white trash wife quit wearing that AU thong she begged me to buy her?

$20? And they sleep at night? It's similar to taking candy from a horribly illiterate redneck child, only they are adults and should know better.

i remember seeing tyrone prothro doing the exact same thing a few years back in front of the smoothie king at parkway place in huntsville. "heisman worthy" to "signing chick-fil-a napkins next to the asian masseuse's kiosk" in less than six months... never ceases to amaze

Great cause.

But back to the orignal post, with regard to the segment of humanity that shows up for such events (charity or not), it sounds a lot like the line outside the Bama Fever store here after the Iron Bowl. I swear every Cletus, Bubba, Jim Bob and Roscoe in a 25 miles radius dropped their pork rinds and waddled on over to get a scoreboard shirt. I literally stopped for a few seconds and just took it all in because it was a sight to behold.

You can see the same thing at a Tiger Pride store after an Iron Bowl win also.

Yes. Except for the fact that Auburn fans aren't a bunch of stump-necked, gap-tooth, knuckle-dragging, polyester-wearing, stoop-gait, cousin-kissing, scale-breaking, book-burning, slack-jawed, in-bred halfwits. The distinction is important.

Great cause.

But back to the orignal post, with regard to the segment of humanity that shows up for such events (charity or not), it sounds a lot like the line outside the Bama Fever store here after the Iron Bowl. I swear every Cletus, Bubba, Jim Bob and Roscoe in a 25 miles radius dropped their pork rinds and waddled on over to get a scoreboard shirt. I literally stopped for a few seconds and just took it all in because it was a sight to behold.

Yes. Except for the fact that Auburn fans aren't a bunch of stump-necked, gap-tooth, knuckle-dragging, polyester-wearing, stoop-gait, cousin-kissing, scale-breaking, book-burning, slack-jawed, in-bred halfwits. The distinction is important.

I think this concept ties in with AU fans recently gotten arrogance and holier than thou complex. AU fans have painted this picture in their mind, that every single bama fan on the planet is an ignorant redneck. Because as long as all bama fans are inbred yokels, AU fans can keep telling themselves that they're better than everybody else. Any Bama fans that are in conflict with the label AU fans so desperately want us to have, are quickly dismissed as an exception to the redneck rule...regardless of how many exceptions are out there.

I've never known of another non-vanderbilt fanbase that constantly had to keep validating itself by looking down it's nose at another group of people.

An AU fans biggest nightmare is to learn that football fans are football fans. Very few differences exist between fans from school to school. Because upon that realization, AU fans would be forced to no longer participate in their favorite pastime: talking about how much better they are than you.

Great cause.

I think this concept ties in with AU fans recently gotten arrogance and holier than thou complex. AU fans have painted this picture in their mind, that every single bama fan on the planet is an ignorant redneck. Because as long as all bama fans are inbred yokels, AU fans can keep telling themselves that they're better than everybody else. Any Bama fans that are in conflict with the label AU fans so desperately want us to have, are quickly dismissed as an exception to the redneck rule...regardless of how many exceptions are out there.

I've never known of another non-vanderbilt fanbase that constantly had to keep validating itself by looking down it's nose at another group of people.

An AU fans biggest nightmare is to learn that football fans are football fans. Very few differences exist between fans from school to school. Because upon that realization, AU fans would be forced to no longer participate in their favorite pastime: talking about how much better they are than you.

Yawn

Great cause.

Yes, but I'm not really talking about schools. I'm talking about your sidewalk alumni. And yes, our fans are better than yours.

This video of gumps greeting Saban at the Tuscaloser airport proves they have more redneck fans than Auburn does. Let me know when ten thousand drunk, redneck Auburn fans show up to the airport to greet an Auburn coach like the gumps did to Saban

This video of gumps greeting Saban at the Tuscaloser airport proves they have more redneck fans than Auburn does. Let me know when ten thousand drunk, redneck Auburn fans show up to the airport to greet an Auburn coach like the gumps did to Saban

Hard to expect a massive outpouring of followers at the airport when you hire a guy who's lost his last 10 games and has never won anything substantial as a head coach.

Let me know when you hire a coach someone has heard of then I'll let you know about your meet and greet at the airport.

Hard to expect a massive outpouring of followers at the airport when you hire a guy who's lost his last 10 games and has never won anything substantial as a head coach.

As opposed to a guy that just went 6-10 in his previous job with a team that was expected to make the playoffs, was 2-3 against Auburn (and is still only 3-4 even with your big win last year) and had averaged just over 8 wins a season as a college coach.

Let me know when you hire a coach someone has heard of then I'll let you know about your meet and greet at the airport.

A. Saban never had to coach at a football wasteland like Iowa State.

B. When you win the Broyles Award, are the defensive coordinator for two back to back undefeated teams and coach consecutive Thorpe Award winners, people know who you are.

Face it, your fans acted like lunatics that day, Collette just being the pinnacle of the crazy.

As opposed to a guy that just went 6-10 in his previous job with a team that was expected to make the playoffs, was 2-3 against Auburn (and is still only 3-4 even with your big win last year) and had averaged just over 8 wins a season as a college coach.

A. Saban never had to coach at a football wasteland like Iowa State.

B. When you win the Broyles Award, are the defensive coordinator for two back to back undefeated teams and coach consecutive Thorpe Award winners, people know who you are.

Face it, your fans acted like lunatics that day, Collette just being the pinnacle of the crazy.

Now that right there was a quality post.

I love revisionist bammers. They're always good for a laugh (or a cry.)

...I've never known of another non-vanderbilt fanbase that constantly had to keep validating itself by looking down it's nose at another group of people....

Irony defined.

As opposed to a guy that just went 6-10 in his previous job

So now we are comparing the Miami Dolphins to Iowa State? OOOOOKAAAAAAAY.

was 2-3 against Auburn

Probably better than 0-1 against Kent State and 0-1 against Northern Iowa. Going 2-3 against Auburn, when they were at the TOP of the SEC isn't exactly horrible is it? Especially not when they are at their peak and you take over a team at the bottom of the barrel. I don't seem to remember CTT tearing it up against Bama in the early years.

and had averaged just over 8 wins a season as a college coach.

Yeah, you have a low average when you take over teams that have no talent and weren't winning when you take over.

When you win the Broyles Award, are the defensive coordinator for two back to back undefeated teams and coach consecutive Thorpe Award winners, people know who you are.

You're right. The college football world was raving about Chizik when you hired him. He was highly sought after. The only people writing articles mocking Auburn for their idiotic hire were Bama fans...

Look, you can call our fans redneck idiots all you want. But if you think anyone outside of Opelika think Chizik and Saban are even coaching the same sport (up to this point in their careers), you're kidding yourself.

Chizik may prove to be an awesome head coach. But there's not a SINGLE thing you can point to in his HEAD coaching career that would indicate as such. Meanwhile, the guy we hired had a couple SEC championship rings and a national title.

So now we are comparing the Miami Dolphins to Iowa State? OOOOOKAAAAAAAY.

The guy was 4 years removed from any collegiate success and had just managed to run the Dolphins into the ground. I'm just saying, it's not like you'd just snatched up Mack Brown, Bob Stoops or Bill Belichick.

Probably better than 0-1 against Kent State and 0-1 against Northern Iowa.

Well, he was actually 1-1 against Kent St., which is better than being 0-1 against UAB. And Chizik was coaching a trainwreck of a program. LSU's worst recruiting classes are miles better than Iowa State's by a mile.

Going 2-3 against Auburn, when they were at the TOP of the SEC isn't exactly horrible is it? Especially not when they are at their peak and you take over a team at the bottom of the barrel. I don't seem to remember CTT tearing it up against Bama in the early years.

He took over a team that had always had talent but it was horribly coached. LSU has never been bereft of talent in my lifetime. But regardless, our best years were 2004-2006, going 13-0, 9-3 and 11-2 respectively. Saban actually only coached against the 2004 team during that stretch. Auburn went to the SEC title game in 2000 (finished 9-4), underachieved in 2001 and 2003 and was pretty good in 2002. So I don't think that's exactly "at the top" for all 5 games.

CTT's first Auburn team hung with your SEC title team until almost midway into the 4th quarter in 1999 then beat you the next year.

Yeah, you have a low average when you take over teams that have no talent and weren't winning when you take over.

And Chizik took over a far, far worse program with way less talent in an almost equally competitive conference. I'd love to see what Saban could do with Vanderbilt or Baylor for instance. Taking over one of the sleeping giants in a talent rich state doesn't even come close to comparing to taking over the program in Ames, IA.

You're right. The college football world was raving about Chizik when you hired him. He was highly sought after. The only people writing articles mocking Auburn for their idiotic hire were Bama fans...

You said no one had heard of him. I just pointed out that was a crock.

Look, you can call our fans redneck idiots all you want.

Well, you do have a lot of them. And since they're funny, we'll keep laughing.

But if you think anyone outside of Opelika think Chizik and Saban are even coaching the same sport (up to this point in their careers), you're kidding yourself.

I think that attitude is beginning to change, but if you think that a guy forgets how to coach after the success he had as a DC just because he couldn't find success in a football waste dump like ISU, I think you're kidding yourself.

Chizik may prove to be an awesome head coach. But there's not a SINGLE thing you can point to in his HEAD coaching career that would indicate as such. Meanwhile, the guy we hired had a couple SEC championship rings and a national title.

True. But he also had scares against Troy, a home loss to UAB, a losing record against your archrival and a national title he wouldn't have even played for had he not been lucky enough to have everyone else in the country lose at least one game along with him. So keep it in some perspective. That same exact season one year later wouldn't have even had them in the conversation so he didn't exactly take them and just mow down the competition.

Bottom line: There was no reason to run around acting like a bunch of inebriated morons hollering "We bowlin' baby! We bowlin'!" and kissing the guy like he's the Pope, Jesus, Gandhi and MLK Jr. all rolled into one.

I'd love to see what Saban could do with Vanderbilt or Baylor for instance.

Yeah, I'd LOVE to see if he could go, say 9-2 at Toledo...that'd be something.

Bottom line: There was no reason to run around acting like a bunch of inebriated morons

hollering "We bowlin' baby! We bowlin'!" and kissing the guy like he's the Pope, Jesus, Gandhi and MLK Jr. all rolled into one.

So all 10,000 people there were acting like that?

Yeah, me too...if Toledo played in the SEC or Big XII. That really would be something. Since they don't, nice accomplishment but not on the same level of difficulty by a long shot.

She was the cherry on top of the overall slobbering crazy.

Yeah, me too...if Toledo played in the SEC or Big XII. That really would be something. Since they don't, nice accomplishment but not on the same level of difficulty by a long shot.

That's funny, considering Chizik actually lost to Toledo while he was head coach at Iowa St.

And when Baylor beats you 38-10 in your second year, you can't really play the "tough conference" card.

I see your argument, but remember that neither LSU or Alabama had a pulse before Saban arrived. The success that he has experienced at both schools is an accomplishment, no?

I see your argument, but remember that neither LSU or Alabama had a pulse before Saban arrived. The success that he has experienced at both schools is an accomplishment, no?

There's no convincing people who still think Saban is a crappy coach, but are already convinced a guy who's 5-19 as a college head coach is the next Paul Bryant.

It's funny how a guy who's won a national title and two sec titles, and turned a team at the bottom into a 12-0 regular season team of contenders is an average coach. Every single piece of career success is explained away with "luck"...yet the guy who wen't 0 for his last 10 gets EVERY SINGLE benefit of the doubt.

There's no convincing people who still think Saban is a crappy coach, but are already convinced a guy who's 5-19 as a college head coach is the next Paul Bryant.

It's funny how a guy who's won a national title and two sec titles, and turned a team at the bottom into a 12-0 regular season team of contenders is an average coach. Every single piece of career success is explained away with "luck"...yet the guy who wen't 0 for his last 10 gets EVERY SINGLE benefit of the doubt.

If you think exaggerating makes your rebuttals look stronger, then by all means, keep it up.

I never said he was a crappy coach or that ours was the next great one. I am saying that the slobbering reaction your crazy-ass fans had when he was hired was over the top based on the overall resume, including the mark against your archrival.

Second, I didn't explain every accomplishment away with "luck." I pointed out that LSU was lucky to even be in the title game that year and they were. You simply cannot argue otherwise and be considered a sane person. Likewise, Auburn in 2004 was unlucky. Flip flop those two seasons and Auburn is #1 going into the bowls in 2003 while everyone else is scrambling to see who plays us while LSU in 2004 with the same record they had in '03 is on the outside watching 3 or 4 undefeated teams sort things out. It's just the way things are. I didn't say he was lucky to beat OU that day. He had his boys ready to play when they got the shot. But getting the shot to begin with: LUCK.

Finally, Chizik hasn't gotten "every" benefit of the doubt. But I don't see how it's unrealistic to look at the totality of the circumstances each coach has faced when taking a view on them. Saban has never coached a program as bad as ISU's. This is not up for debate. Toledo might qualify in some years, but they play in a mid-major conference. MAC teams have given people trouble from time to time but no one is mistaking it for the Big XII or SEC or even the Big East. The case is even less so for Michigan State, LSU and Alabama. It is, without a doubt, multiple times easier to field a winner at those schools than it is at ISU.

So, yes you look at what Chizik did in Ames. But you also look at what he did at Auburn and at Texas. When you couple it with the staff he's put together (even you would admit it's a better looking staff than you thought he'd assemble), the way we finished the recruiting class last year and the way this one seems to be shaping up based on what kids are saying, some tempered optimism is justified in my opinion. I don't begrudge those who are still in "show me" mode, but it's not unreasonable to think Chizik's going to do fine and that struggling at ISU isn't the sole criterion by which you measure someone's abilities.

I would contend that LSU and Alabama are among the easier places to win in college football. If you're not an idiot, you can succeed. If Shula can win 10 games, even with some aftereffects from probation, it obviously isn't like trying to turn Iowa State into a winner.

God...i hope chizik isn't the next bear bryant. I'd prefer a coach with integrity, class, run a clean program, not have to set up and turn in other programs to the ncaa to be able to compete, and not be a drunk. But, that's just me. I think we're safe...

Archived