All Things Beer ...

MDM4AU

Sam Adams Black Lager. Just had a couple while killing time in my hotel room in Hattiesburg, MS. If you like these kinds of beers, you need to try it. Good stuff.

Also, if in Hattiesburg, visit Alumni House (Sports Bar). Great food and the best Buffalo Wings sauce I have had. Not as spicey as I normally like but GREAT flavor. The set up is awesome, too. Got a room with huge tv and leather recliners with drink/cup holders. Would love to open one in the Birmingham area.

Photo Gallery - Alumni House

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Black Lager is some awesome stuff.

You should check around some of the better beer stores in B'ham and see if you can find Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale. That stuff is amazing and I think you'd like it if you like the Black Lager.

Before you leave Miss, look for 24 ounce Budweiser cans, They are $1.59 and are really good.

Before you leave Miss, look for 24 ounce Budweiser cans, They are $1.59 and are really good.

He makes his own Budweiser about an hour or so of drinking a sam adams...and his is free...

The only thing worse than a regular Bud can is one with more of it.

I had one of my new favorite beers at the Decatur Beer Festival two weekends ago in Atlanta. Innis and Gunn. Oh man, it was so good. Or at least i think it was. I probably went back to their table 5 or 6 times throughout the day. It's brewed in oak barrels that have been used to make bourbon so it has a real creamy, malty flavor to it.

Here's a short read on it - http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/201.html

Why are you guys buying that stuff in Mississippi? Are they sold out of Jax down there?

(I haven't heard of Jax in eons. I wonder if it is still made.)

Why are you guys buying that stuff in Mississippi? Are they sold out of Jax down there?

I can only get the 16 ounce tall boys or bowling pins in Al, but I work in Miss and they always have the 24 oz Cans iced down after a long set at work. They also have the qt Corona's.

As far as I know the actual beer itself is no longer made. Some company may have bought the label and put another beer in the can, but the brewery in NOLA has been turned into shopping and museum. There is another Jax Brewery building/brewery outside of the French Quarter that has long been abandon, but you can still see the Jax name on it.

As far as I know the actual beer itself is no longer made. Some company may have bought the label and put another beer in the can, but the brewery in NOLA has been turned into shopping and museum. There is another Jax Brewery building/brewery outside of the French Quarter that has long been abandon, but you can still see the Jax name on it.

Then there surely is some "Dixie" around, no?

I had one of my new favorite beers at the Decatur Beer Festival two weekends ago in Atlanta. Innis and Gunn. Oh man, it was so good. Or at least i think it was. I probably went back to their table 5 or 6 times throughout the day. It's brewed in oak barrels that have been used to make bourbon so it has a real creamy, malty flavor to it.

You know if the BrickStore has any, the website posts mainly NYC and NJ places for purchase

That would be Yes

Innis & Gunn Oak Aged pale ale

11.2oz 6.6% $10.00

definate oak flavor, creamy, smooth finish

Now to find it in a store near me

I didn't realize Brick Store had it. I'd never seen it on their menu before. Only problem is they're charging $10 for an 11.2 oz bottle. That's just too much for a bottle of beer that's not gonna give you the ability to fly or see through womens clothing.

That place holds a special place in my heart. I had my first date with my wife there back in 06. We don't go there that much anymore though. We live less than a mile away, but every time we go it's always for "just a beer or two," and we end up leaving with an $80 tab and a raging hangover the next day.

Tried the Innis and Gunn tonight. It is goood. Makes me think of the way I would like for a good scotch to taste, but much better. I am a pretty big beer snob, but this is one of the most flavourable beers I have ever had. Mucho recommendo!

Hoegaarden - I don't quite know why, but when I first tried it the aroma and color reminded me of the liquid inside a can of vienna weiners. I've had other Belgium witbiers that tasted fine...not this one though.

Mine's a toss-up between Dixie Beer and Natty Light.

I drink lots of Natural light in bottles still to this day. Dixie's not that bad. My least are Busch, Beast Red, Keystone light, High Gravity comes in 16oz tallboys for 69cents. Any malt liquor, I hate all the them.

Foster's...Australian for $hit.

...and brewed in Canada.

It's cheaper to ship $hit from Canada than from Australia. :P

titan likes to diss my mass quantity and large sized beers, but I picked up a couple of 24 ounce Foster's in Pascagoula this week to drink with my neighbor by the fence. I'd never bought one and I thought it would be a good beer to try, you guys are ragging it already, and I haven't even tried it.

I bought a 6 pack of Abita Original tonight for the game. They have been around for a while, but they were pretty good. 8.99 for a six pack, but caramel flavor, with german hops and yeast. tasted great with the bbq for the game and with the brownies as well.

Archived