All Things Beer ...

MDM4AU

Appreciate the inputs ... reviews coming soon

Where do you live? Not trying to pry but it'd be easier to suggest stuff based on what's available.

Birmingham, AL

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highland Oatmeal Porter rocks. Love it. I want to try their Black Mocha Stout next.

Picked up some Maudite and Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale over the weekend. Mmm.

Highland Oatmeal Porter rocks. Love it. I want to try their Black Mocha Stout next.

Picked up some Maudite and Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale over the weekend. Mmm.

Have you ever tried Trois Pistoles? It is Made by the same brewery that makes Maudite and is another Belgium Strong Ale. Extremely good.

It does have significantly more carbonation. I like it because it helps balance out the sweetness.

I tried two new beers this weekend:

Victory Wild Devil Ale - Belgian Session Ale with 7% ABV. I really enjoyed this one. Aroma was orange and yeast. Taste was sweet, citrus, bitter, sour, spicy, yeast and probably more that I didn't pick up on. Very interesting complexity in taste. Poured a huge head that looked as if you could scoop it out and bake a loaf of bread with it. Will definitely drink this one again.

Delirium Noel - Belgian Strong Ale with 10% ABV. I was expecting more from this one. For a seasonal Christmas Ale, this one had no spice to it whatsoever. Smelled and tasted similar to Nocturnum. Very malty and sweet with flavors of raisons and dried plums. The alcohol is hidden very well, but you do get a warming sensation from it. Ok beer, but have had better.

I went to a Dirty Santa party Sat night and took a 6 pack of Duck Rabbit Porter with me. I thought it was delicions. Very good for a cold night. They do all dark beers and that was the first time I'd tried them. They're out of NC.

http://www.duckrabbitbrewery.com/

I also scored a bottle of Glenlivet 12 year in the Dirty Santa portion. **cha-ching** My wife likes Scotch too, so I was #27 and she was #26 and the Scotch had been "stolen" once and they lock the gift after 3 steals, so I told her to steal it and then I'd steal it from her to lock it and she could pick another gift. That's teamwork right there folks.

Ever try their La Fin Du Monde? I always pick it up, but for some reason end up not buying.

I've had it. It's very summery (whatever that means). It really does have more of a fruity finish. It's actually pretty good. But I'd take Maudite or Trios Pistoles over it.

Ever try their La Fin Du Monde? I always pick it up, but for some reason end up not buying.

I've had it. It's very summery (whatever that means). It really does have more of a fruity finish. It's actually pretty good. But I'd take Maudite or Trios Pistoles over it.

I know what you mean about summery tasting. More of a citrus flavor rather than the dried fruit flavors of Maudite and Trois. I actually prefer the citrus flavor, so I guess I need to try it.

Ok, I'm going to Vulcan Beverage tonight and see if I can get hold of some more highland oatmeal porter. I wonder if it holds up in bottles as well as it does on draught.

Is it weird that I think the higher gravity beers don't require coming from a tap to taste decent like some of the lesser light beers? I hate bud light from a bottle, but can ALMOST tolerate it draught and super cold.

But I like Maudite from a bottle or tap. And I had a Spaten Optimator from a bottle last night and it was really good too.

Am I dreaming this? Or is there actually something to it?

Ok, I'm going to Vulcan Beverage tonight and see if I can get hold of some more highland oatmeal porter. I wonder if it holds up in bottles as well as it does on draught.

Is it weird that I think the higher gravity beers don't require coming from a tap to taste decent like some of the lesser light beers? I hate bud light from a bottle, but can ALMOST tolerate it draught and super cold.

But I like Maudite from a bottle or tap. And I had a Spaten Optimator from a bottle last night and it was really good too.

Am I dreaming this? Or is there actually something to it?

Most, if not all high gravity beers can age in the bottle and the brewers alot of time suggest it. Goes along the same lines as letting wine age, although not as long of an aging period. But in reality, you are just noticing the difference between good beer and piss water.

Isn't Spaten part of the InBev group?

Stopped this past weekend after Christmas shopping and had a couple of Sam Adams Winter Lager on tap. I know it's pretty common, but a damn good beer in my book...also really like their Octoberfest.

I don't see a lot of the beer that you guys are referring to. Of course I live in north LA, so Bud heavy is considered a dark beer around here :thumbsdown: . There is a small store down the road a ways that sells Samuel Smith's. Didn't try it cause it was sitting on the top shelf with about a year's worth of dust on it. The one I remember was an Oatmeal Stout (I believe). Would love to try it!

Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout = best beer I've ever had in my life.

Seriously.

But please, if you get it, make sure it's appropriately chilled and pour it in a frosty mug and let it breathe for a minute. Then report back the awesomeness that you experience.

Sam Adams Scotch Ale is some damn good stuff. You can only get it in the Brewmasters 12 pack from them though, but it's worth it. Typically comes with 2 each of Scotch Ale, Boston Lager, Cream Stout, Boston Ale and two others that rotate (sometimes Brown Ale and Black Lager, right now it's Coastal Wheat and Noble Pils). Pick one up, you'll thank me.

Samual Smiths Nut Brown Ale - Brown ales are slightly sweeter than the above and rarely bitter. I taste caramel and hazelnuts when drinking this one.

Picked up a 4-pack. Pretty good. Much more drinkable than the IPA I had the other week.

The nut brown ale is great. RIR have you tried their Oatmeal Stout?

I got a 6 pack of the Highland Oatmeal Porter and it's not quite as good from the bottle as it was the other night on tap. But it's still solid.

I also got a 6 of the Rogue Dead Guy Ale. I had one and it was decent. I had never tried any Rogues. Is this the right one to get? Or do they sell something else that I should be sampling?

Archived