All Things Beer ...

MDM4AU

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Titan on that one. Blue Moon is still a macro-brew, and is not very good IMO. The Sam Adams would be good choice, and they are relatively easy to find. I would also suggest trying a brown ale. Have you ever seen any beers by Bells Brewery in your area? They make a very good brown ale, Bells Best Brown Ale. Brown ales tend to be a little on the sweeter side and are also good to drink in cold weather. Samuel Smiths (not Sam Adams) Nut Brown Ale is also a very good one.

Cool. Sam Adams White Ale is at the top of the list now. I will have to look for Bells Brewery. I usually grab the case of bud light and go about my way, so I don't pay much attention to anything else.

I'll also keep any eye out for the brown ales.

Just remember, quality over quantity. Some six packs of quality beer will cost more that an 12-pack of bud, but most are well worth it. Don't gulp them down, sip and try to distinguish the flavors you are sensing. You will enjoy them more. It takes me a week sometimes to finish off a six pack. Let us know what you try and how they faired.

Well the stuff I drink comes in 4 packs and cost more then the Bud 12 pack :blink: Too many to list but one that came out recently: Brooklyn Dark Choc Stout.

My favorite high gravity ones I've had:

Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale

Maudite

Three Philosophers

Brother Theolonius

In the non high gravity category, I got to have a Sweetwater 420 when I was in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. Man that was good stuff.

I picked up a 6 pack of Sweetwater 420 at Foodworld this evening. I saw a Tommyknocker 6pack in a Bruno's ad this weekend. I'll have to make a trip to west mobile to pick up a 6 pack of that. I haven't tried either yet, I'm excited about the 420. Mobile doesn't have a great selection of good beer stores or grocery stores. The Fresh Market is the nicest and we don't have any publix. There is a World Market accross the bay, but I haven't made it there yet.

420 is good. Ironically, it's my least favorite of the Sweetwater beers...save the blueberry crap.

Georgia Brown is insanely good. The IPA is great too if you can get it fresh, and on tap.

420 is good. Ironically, it's my least favorite of the Sweetwater beers...save the blueberry crap.

Georgia Brown is insanely good. The IPA is great too if you can get it fresh, and on tap.

Motor Boat on tap is one of my favorite Sweetwater brews. Or maybe I just get a kick out of a waitress saying "Motor Boat" :nanner:

And yes, fruit beer, all fruit beer, is bad.

BG, did you mention a Pecan Nut Brown Ale from Lazy Magnolia Brewery once?

That's great stuff. For a while I could only get it from a friend in Mississippi. When I was done for the iron bowl I found it in Kroger and bought the only two six packs they had.

BG, did you mention a Pecan Nut Brown Ale from Lazy Magnolia Brewery once?

That's great stuff. For a while I could only get it from a friend in Mississippi. When I was done for the iron bowl I found it in Kroger and bought the only two six packs they had.

Abita also makes a Pecan Ale thats pretty good.

Drank one of the sweetwater 420 today. It's got a fruity tang to it, but really smooth and overall good. It tastes to me exactly like an IPA "Hazed and Confused". I know I crack lots of jokes about mass produced beers, but in reality I've been a beer snob since my college days. My friends on the other hand drink bud and miller lite, so I drink that when I hang with them. When I'm at home or we go out for a meal I like to try new crafts. I excited about trying some of the other's people's been talking about. I seen an ad in the Lagnappe about a gift pack of Chimay beers made by the monks for $20 I think I'm going to grab a box has anyone tried them.

Drank one of the sweetwater 420 today. It's got a fruity tang to it, but really smooth and overall good. It tastes to me exactly like an IPA "Hazed and Confused". I know I crack lots of jokes about mass produced beers, but in reality I've been a beer snob since my college days. My friends on the other hand drink bud and miller lite, so I drink that when I hang with them. When I'm at home or we go out for a meal I like to try new crafts. I excited about trying some of the other's people's been talking about. I seen an ad in the Lagnappe about a gift pack of Chimay beers made by the monks for $20 I think I'm going to grab a box has anyone tried them.

The three Chimay beers in that pack are all pretty good. Simply put the Blue is the sweetest with a more malty and caramel flavor; White has the most bitter, hoppy and citrus flavor (my favorite of the three); and the Red is somewhat in the middle with a balanced hoppy and malty flavor. Make sure you drink them from a trappist glass, or wine glass if you don't have one, (don't drink them from the bottle or a beer mug) to help develop the aroma and flavors.

IPAs are definitely an acquired taste. VERY bitter. I haven't found one I like yet. A good American Pale Ale is about as hoppy as I can take, but in terms of hops content, IPAs are off the chart. Everyone I've had taste like it was brewed with a bar of soap.

IPAs are definitely an acquired taste. VERY bitter. I haven't found one I like yet. A good American Pale Ale is about as hoppy as I can take, but in terms of hops content, IPAs are off the chart. Everyone I've had taste like it was brewed with a bar of soap.

If you want an IPA that doesn't give you the dreaded bitter beer face, try Bells Two Hearted Ale. It's an extrememly drinkable IPA and one of my new personal favorites.

Well, i'm on the other end of the IPA spectrum and I thought i'd mention Terrapin has a new brew out called Hopsecutioner. The name and description boast a big game but it didn't bring near as much to the table as an Arrogant Bastard or even Lagunitas. Not a bad beer by any means but if you're looking to get a dose of hops, it doesn't quite live up.

I'm not sure who all has had Arrogant Bastard or if it has even reached Alabama but the version of Double Bastard they did this year wasn't nearly as aggresive as the previous two years. Almost mellow.

I think as WarEagle04 mentioned, getting yourself a good set of glassware will really aid your beer drinking enjoyment. Alot of these brews are going to taste much more different if you are drinking them at the suggested temp out of a the glass they were intended for.

Yeah Southern Pecan from Lazy Magnolia is awesome. You can get it in Publix in Bham.

Good People's best beer is the straight up Brown Ale. They have a Belgian Pale Ale that aint terrible either. I wouldn't call good people IPA a gourmet beer.

Chimay Red is awesome and the blue is pretty good. I'm not a fan of the white.

Three Philosophers is pretty good too. But man all these people who swear by that Delerium Tremens...I don't get it. That stuff tastes like hot garbage.

Maudite is a really good one.

Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale is probably my favorite I've tried so far.

Three Philosophers is really good, but has a sweetness on the end some don't care for.

And while I haven't tried it personally, I've heard nothing but rave reviews for Chimay Red.

Alright, alright ... can some one please guide me to a good "starter" gourmet beer.

Here are some of my suggestions for a few different styles (you have to figure out what flavors you prefer):

Bells Oberon Ale - This is a wheat ale with a citrus flavor. Not a heavy beer and is very drinkable. Similar to Blue Moon, but much better.

Victory Prima Pils - This is a Pilsener style beer. Pilseners are lighter beers in color and taste. This beer has a slight hoppy taste, but not bitter. Smells like a freshly cut lawn.

Samual Smiths Nut Brown Ale - Brown ales are slightly sweeter than the above and rarely bitter. I taste caramel and hazelnuts when drinking this one.

Bells Kalamazoo Stout - Stouts are full bodied, dark beers that are typically low in alcohol content. This one is extremely good if you like the style. I tasted roasted malts, licorice and chocolate.

Stone Pale Ale - Pale Ales are a step or two down from IPAs in terms of the amount of hops/bitterness. This beer is neither bitter nor sweet to me. Extremely well balanced beer.

The order I listed them is from milder flavors to more fuller flavors. This is probably a good way to start. Also, pour the beers into glasses instead of drinking them out of the bottle, especially stouts.

Why'd you stop in Mississippi, MDM? Coulda driven to Louisiana and had a nice nutria dinner washed down with a bottle of ice cold strawberry Abita.

*die Louisiana*

Archived