All Things Beer ...

MDM4AU

One thing I hope you have picked up from this is that different people have different tastes. Like beauty, it is in the eye (taste buds) of the beholder. I went for years drinking whatever beer it had been the longest since I drank some. There were quite a few less beers to choose from back then.

The thing that I dislike is folks that become beer snobs. Let the wine folks be snobbish, but not good ol' beer drinkers. You should respect others taste in beer as well as your own.

Of course people have different tastes, but beer making is every bit an artform that wine making is. Some take great care in choosing good ingredients, watching closely over the process and bringing out distinctive characteristics in different styles of beer. And then there's just the assembly line, mass-produced, cheaply made junk coming out of a lot of American macrobreweries. Instead of good hops and malts and barley and such, they use cheaper hops and malts and add adjunct ingredients like rice or corn to sweeten the taste. They focus group the thing and strip out all the distinctive flavors of the beer until you're left with a mass market, least common denominator brew. It's the boy band/Britney Spears of beers...sugary and unoriginal.

I can respect some tastes even if I don't like them or they aren't my favorite. I'm just not a fan of IPAs. They're very bitter and I prefer a milder hop flavor and when I'm in the mood for a heavier beer, something dark and malty with very little hop characteristics at all. But I recognize IPAs are something of an acquired taste perhaps. Most macrobrew lagers on the market aren't an acquired taste, they just aren't very good. They're just cheap and found anywhere.

I don't think that's snobby, but some may.

Titan...I completely agree with your statements. I prefer IPA's over stouts and the heavier ales, mostly because I don't care for the sweet character usually attributed to the malts in such brews. That is just my preference. Just like I would rather have a glass of orange juice over a glass of chocolate milk. But, I still try, and like, many different beers just to experience the different flavors and complexities of each one. Thats just me though. I will continue to enjoy as many different beers as my liver can take. Those that will never drink anything different than bud light, I am sorry.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about Bell's beer? Atlanta just got Two-hearted ale last week and if you've never tried it, I suggest picking up a 6 pack or mini-keg asap.

I tried the two-hearted ale last week at the local Taco Mac, along with Bells Best Brown Ale. They were both pretty good. I don't think I've had a Bells that I didn't like.

If you like IPA, try Smuttynose. I'm giving you a fair warning though, it's not for the faint at heart.

I enjoyed the Smuttynose IPA. One of the better brews they put out. That make this god awful fruit beer called Hanami I think that I tried first and turned me off on the whole brewery.

If you're a big fan of the IPA, I suggest trying the Mikkeller series of single hop profile beers. I belive they make a warrior, simcoe and cascade brews that taste like the hops in the most basic fashion.

As for Taco Mac, I love the selection of stuff they get and it's cool to go to a place to watch a game but i'm not a fan of their food. While I love the Brick Store and what all it brings, being that i'm posting on a sports message board I obviously love sports and would like to see a game on TV on a Saturday afternoon as opposed to hanging around with a bunch of hipsters talking about Chuck Klosterman books.

Where are you getting the Mikkeller? I have heard of it, but never seen it in a store?

Victory also makes some good IPA's...Hopdevil and Hop Wallop are both good.

I should say, I tend to go back and forth. I'll get on a kick of wanting a heavier, malty brew with very little bitterness and perhaps a touch of sweet on the end, then I'll go get something more hoppy like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Sam Adams Boston Lager to cut through that. It's sort of like the yin and yang of a sweet dessert vs a salty snack. I like them both.

I pretty much stick with Yuengling or blue moon. I tried Sam Adams a few weeks ago, and hated it. It tasted awful. Perhaps its just not for me. my least favorite are: Anything BUDweiser. Natty light, pabst blue ribbon....all that crap is awful.

I pretty much stick with Yuengling or blue moon. I tried Sam Adams a few weeks ago, and hated it. It tasted awful. Perhaps its just not for me. my least favorite are: Anything BUDweiser. Natty light, pabst blue ribbon....all that crap is awful.

I'm surprised that you like Yuengling but not Sam Adams. Those aren't that different from each other. Sam Adams is my default beer. If I'm not craving anything more exotic, it's the one I'll grab at the grocery store. Blue Moon is decent, but there are other Belgian whites or wheat beers I like a lot better.

What about Bell's beer? Atlanta just got Two-hearted ale last week and if you've never tried it, I suggest picking up a 6 pack or mini-keg asap.

I tried the two-hearted ale last week at the local Taco Mac, along with Bells Best Brown Ale. They were both pretty good. I don't think I've had a Bells that I didn't like.

If you like IPA, try Smuttynose. I'm giving you a fair warning though, it's not for the faint at heart.

I enjoyed the Smuttynose IPA. One of the better brews they put out. That make this god awful fruit beer called Hanami I think that I tried first and turned me off on the whole brewery.

If you're a big fan of the IPA, I suggest trying the Mikkeller series of single hop profile beers. I belive they make a warrior, simcoe and cascade brews that taste like the hops in the most basic fashion.

As for Taco Mac, I love the selection of stuff they get and it's cool to go to a place to watch a game but i'm not a fan of their food. While I love the Brick Store and what all it brings, being that i'm posting on a sports message board I obviously love sports and would like to see a game on TV on a Saturday afternoon as opposed to hanging around with a bunch of hipsters talking about Chuck Klosterman books.

Where are you getting the Mikkeller? I have heard of it, but never seen it in a store?

Victory also makes some good IPA's...Hopdevil and Hop Wallop are both good.

I'm not sure where you live but Greens and Hop City in Atlanta have tons of it. We've had it for a while and probably get 15 different kinds of their brews. Theier "Beer Geek Breakfast" stout is amazing. Their product isn't cheap but they make some damn good brews.

I'm assuming you've had the Dogfish 60 and 90 minute? I don't think you can get the 120 minute IPA anywhere in the South but it's an experience if you ever get your hands on it.

Oberon is a good whear beer. It's also a great conversation piece with all the floaties in it.

Bellefay1...I live north of Cumming. I try not to make it to the city if I can help it, but I might have to now.

Given that I have drunk and not hated most of the beers listed here as bad beers; I might conclude that I've never found a beer I didn't like.

I'll give it a try...after over 25 years of having thought it had faded from the earth; I had Tuborg thrust on me again two weeks ago in Jordan. It still tastes like Peanuts and is rancid. PBR..I have too many keg party memories of trying to choke it down. These must be the two worst beers globally.

Best beers in the world:

James Bouges and Crown - both Tasmanian beers and the most drinkable beers I've ever come across

Fischer Alsaece Amber - pretty much a malt liquor...packs a punch but tastes heavenly...don't plan an early meeting the next day

Drinkable beers around the world:

Carlsburg (as they say, "probably the best beer in the world), Tiger, Kirin draft (ice cold mug required), Singha (Thai), Efes (Turkey), Antarctica (Brazil)....OK, Iike Pilsners....

Given that I have drunk and not hated most of the beers listed here as bad beers; I might conclude that I've never found a beer I didn't like.

I'll give it a try...after over 25 years of having thought it had faded from the earth; I had Tuborg thrust on me again two weeks ago in Jordan. It still tastes like Peanuts and is rancid. PBR..I have too many keg party memories of trying to choke it down. These must be the two worst beers globally.

Best beers in the world:

James Bouges and Crown - both Tasmanian beers and the most drinkable beers I've ever come across

Fischer Alsaece Amber - pretty much a malt liquor...packs a punch but tastes heavenly...don't plan an early meeting the next day

Drinkable beers around the world:

Carlsburg (as they say, "probably the best beer in the world), Tiger, Kirin draft (ice cold mug required), Singha (Thai), Efes (Turkey), Antarctica (Brazil)....OK, Iike Pilsners....

Fischer has always been a favorite of mine. I also like Red Stripe and Yuengling. I like too many more to list, but I will agree that Sam Adams Boston Lager is way overrated. It's a good beer to drink to impress others. Mass produced beers did not get big because they were no good.

Someone above mentioned Billy Beer. I will admit that I cannot imagine anyone, even Billy, drinking that stuff regularly.

I heard even the so-called beer snobs give PBR props. I've never had it myself, but just going by what folks who tend to like good beer say.

From what I hear, bottle is way better than cans for it though. I imagine draft is another step up.

I've been hesitant to post my reply on this...But, I think PBR is pretty good beer too compared to the other mass produced crap. If I want to try a single bottle of some expensive new beer, I usually pick up some PBR as back up. Hasn't failed me yet.

Billy Beer

Not opening it was a good idea for two reasons: You didn't have to taste it, and it's worth more as an unopened collectible than it ever was as a real drink.

I admit to being a beer lightweight, but the 3 worst beers I have had are 3. Sweetwater IPA, 2. Sam Adams Imperial White (hi grav).....1. Guiness Stout (I could not get the taste out of my mouth for hours)

I actually love all 3 of those beers. Ah well.

Ha Justin I was thinking the same thing.

DrTom's post left me vexed indeed. :)

I've become such a fan of Guinness first, then other dark beers, that I don't enjoy light beers as much. Red Stripe's pretty good, though. Call me unAmerican, or just an elitest, but I don't care much for any of the products of the Big Three (Bud, Miller, Coors) American brewers.

It's not unAmerican at all. There are plenty of great American breweries outside the big three that make great stuff:

Sierra Nevada

Fat Tire

Sam Adams

Tommyknocker

Shiner Bock

Sweetwater

Widmer

There are awesome American brews, just not from the Walmart of beer makers.

It's not unAmerican at all. There are plenty of great American breweries outside the big three that make great stuff:

Sierra Nevada

Fat Tire

Sam Adams

Tommyknocker

Shiner Bock

Sweetwater

Widmer

There are awesome American brews, just not from the Walmart of beer makers.

Abita

I'm sorry...PBR is like drinking Ole Mulewater...Can, bottle, draft are all crap.

In a few Texas bars I've been in, Rolling Rock is on the "import" list. So not sure if it's a domestic; but I like it.

SNPA is good as all call out...I like Coors, Miller Lite..it seems Bud is actually one of the most popular imports now in the UK. Not sure if that happened before or after they were bought by InBev.

Anyone here ever drink Drummon Brothers Beer? Used to be available in Southeastern Tennessee.

Well, there is that. That sucks. But then, we weren't talking about beer in terms of what we drink for health reasons, but rather, for taste reasons.

So from what I'm reading, it's the carb count in the beer that matters most for diabetics?

Well, there is that. That sucks. But then, we weren't talking about beer in terms of what we drink for health reasons, but rather, for taste reasons.

So from what I'm reading, it's the carb count in the beer that matters most for diabetics?

Yep.

But alcohol consumption can cause your sugar levels to drop - hypoglycemia. Surely there's that perfect level of healthy drunkenness, no? :roflol:

Archived